Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Getting my first hunting dog - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Minnow

Default Getting my first hunting dog

Next winter I am looking into getting my first hunting puppy. I am thinking either a German Shorthaired Pointer or a Wirehaired Griffon. It will be a family pet as well as a grouse hunting dog. I have 3 young kids (ages 2,3, and 6) so I am leaning toward the Griffon because from what I have read they are a little less rough and more mello, but being new to the hunting dogs I am not sure if that is true. Could anyone help point out the differences in these 2 breeds, good or bad? Also does anyone know of any good books on training a pointer to hunt upland birds? I will spend this year reading and getting ready so when I get one I am not so lost. I have never had a dog myself but have hunted over them before and love to watch them work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Slot Fish

Default Pointing dogs

One of the best resources on pointing dogs is the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association. http://www.navhda.org/. They have chapters throughout the US.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Wallhanger

Default First hunting dog

I wouldn't say that a WPG is more mellow than a GSP. My shorthair is asleep on the couch right next to me as he spends most nights. You will probably find more differnce between different GSP's than you will between the WPG and a GSP. I would be sure to meet the parents of any litter that I was interested in. You can find dogs of either breed that will be wild or tame. I also have 2 brittanys from field trial blood lines they can be very mellow around the house but are wild when we are out in the field.
One other thing to consider when choosing a breed would be that there are alot more options in litters of Shorthairs. You are more likely to find more of the kind of dog that you want easier and usually for a lot lower price.
As for a training info, my advice would be to skip the books. Look for the Perfect Start / Perfect Finish DVD set from Perfection Kennels. It is alot easier to understand the training when you can see what is going on.
For more infomation on either of the two breeds or any other gun dog check out http://gundogforum.com/forum/ I post as 2britts over there and everyone has been very helpful. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I will do what I can to help.

JJ Scully

Daddy's Tangerine Dream

Oh Dee Oh My

Last edited by Juls; 03-22-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Just a helpful tip when choosing a pup.

After you find a good breeder that you want to go with, tell them what you are looking for in your dog and have THEM choose your puppy for you. They can tell what traits to look for better than you will be able to, since you have never owned a dog before.

This way you have the best chance of finding the right dog for you and your family.

As pups they are ALL so cute, but figuring out what type of personality it will have when it's older is tough at that age. The breeder's experience will guide you to the right dog.

Good luck finding your new best friend! Dogs rule! Keep us posted....

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Minnow

Default New Pup

Great advise givin above...You did say new pup in winter...

I will add this getting a pup for X-mas. If its 10 below and 2 foot of snow your pup wont think much of the outdoors. It will add a few days to poddie training. How do you feel about #1 & #2 on your door step? Now that its March he is finally okay with the outside world. For time if we approached the door,Buddie would skurry off and hide... Our GSP is the most mellow dog I have owned as far as pointers go. Great with kids and has drive to scent. Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default Hunting/Family Dog

Take a look at a Vizsla...they are great hunting dogs and they absolutly love people and are great with kids. We are on our third one and have always been very pleased.

Good Luck, Mike Kansas

Last edited by Mike Kansas; 03-22-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

I am going to throw one more dog into the mix for you, The American Water Spaniel. They are flushers, not pointers. They work extremely close to you, 10 to 20 yards. They are also great retrievers. I have had one for 6 years now and could not be happier. He does SUPER on upland birds and decent on waterfowl. (I have not duck hunted with him in 2 seasons). When he was a pup he was always into everything, like any pup. He has been great around kids, other people, and the other pets around the house. My son was 6 when I got him and would pull his tail and ears. Never an issue, when he got sick and tired of it he would go into his kennel. Using the kennel we had him trained in less than a week, only one accident ever.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 AM
knelson

Have you looked into French Brittanys? If not, you should. Excellent family dogs, very smart, outstanding hunters.

Last edited by wheels; 04-14-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: No advertising on the boards
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Noah Cantell

Default Sometimes. . .

Watching the litter play makes a diff. You can tell the nature of the pup, aggressive, smarter, laid back, etc.

Still, two of my best dogs ever, where the last of the litter and where I never saw the parents or the rest of the litter.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Slot Fish

When you get to pick from a litter and want a mellow dog do this... When the litter is "Awake and Playful" sit back and watch (don't interact at this observation period) for the traits you want.

Secondly when there is a toss up between 2 or more pups and you really want laid back -vs- hyper pup do this... Turn them on to their back and lightly hold there chest area lightly:

If they just lay there (MILD) -vs- whines, struggles, gnaws at your wrist with mouth and twists to get out (HYPER).

2 Labs & 1 GSP here.

Good Luck