Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance HDS Live vs Elite FS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-09-2022, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default Lowrance HDS Live vs Elite FS

I just ordered a new boat and am having an Elite FS installed to run my auto pilot and to use for mapping and graphing.

What benefits are there to the HDS Lives over the Elite FS?

I am going to start with one unit and then add more in the future as funds are available. I am having a hard time spending twice as much on the Lives vs the Elite FS.

I will be using the unit on Lake Erie exclusively and am trolling the central basin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2022, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by man164 View Post
I just ordered a new boat and am having an Elite FS installed to run my auto pilot and to use for mapping and graphing.

What benefits are there to the HDS Lives over the Elite FS?

I am going to start with one unit and then add more in the future as funds are available. I am having a hard time spending twice as much on the Lives vs the Elite FS.

I will be using the unit on Lake Erie exclusively and am trolling the central basin.
https://youtu.be/Dl3nj4WBfVI
Old 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

Elite Fs- 1 ethernet port , one card reader slot, one transducer slot, less impressive viewing screen and lower transducer, can only use single channel chirp and cannot chirp 2d and SS,DS at same time, slower processor

Hds Live- 2 ethernet ports, dual card reader, two transducer inputs, best screen viewing angles, viewable with polarized lenses, and higher resolution. Ability to display dual channel chirp and 2d chirp with SS,DS fastest processor

So there are quite a few differences , If you want to have a more expansive network than just two graphs and you like multiple transducer setups, and run multiple graph cards ( navionics and C map) or one map card and a recording card, and Have the best screen available then you are going to want the HDS

It is what you feel your personal usage will be. Myself as an example I always ran HDS but I was several generations behind with Gen2 I also had a sonarhub for chirp and a Lss1 for side and the system works great. But... I want to enjoy some of the new upgrades so I'm upgrading everything to HDS Carbons this upcoming year so I will get all my networkabilty still- be able to run an Airmar ducer for chirp, a 3 in 1 for SS,DS and I'm keeping the sonarhub in the mix so I can run an HDI for 2d sonar at wot.

If you don't want to network more than 2 graphs and you are just trolling the big lake where SS is not a big deal the Elite FS might be a perfect fit.
The HDS just gives you quite alot more Bells and whistles.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2022, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

Great summary ltrain.

The second sonar port doesn’t seem like that big a deal, but it’s huge. It means you can run the 3in1 for 2D, DI and SI, but you also have the option of adding an upgraded Airmar, the TM150 or TM165, which offer a whole new level of 2D sonar clarity and target separation.

The ability to run one of those Airmars, and use CHIRP at the same time as DI/SI, would be pretty big advantages while trolling Erie.

The added Ethernet ports and nearly endless options to build your network in the future are also a huge advantage.

Waxy
Old 01-12-2022, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

I plan to add one or two more screens in the future. Would I be able to use a combination of HDS units and the Elite FS?

I know I want a second unit at helm to use one for mapping and one for imaging, I also always like to run one on the transom to see while trolling.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I plan to add one or two more screens in the future. Would I be able to use a combination of HDS units and the Elite FS?

I know I want a second unit at helm to use one for mapping and one for imaging, I also always like to run one on the transom to see while trolling.
Absolutely, that’s a great option.

Using the Live as the “anchor”, you can then add up to two Elite FS units to your network. If you want to add additional sonar units or an Active Target, which requires an Ethernet connection, you can solve that by either adding another HDS Live or by adding an Ethernet expansion port to your network.

You have the option of connecting a transducer to each of the FS units as well, which means you can connect your trolling motor, glassed in transducer, LiveSight, etc…, and share them across your network.

Waxy
Old 02-12-2022, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

So I ordered anew Carbon to install on the boat myself. I would like to eventually have 3 screens total……. How does mirroring work on an iPad? I want 2 screens at the helm and want to be able to see the one at the stern while trolling….could I use an iPad for that?
Old 02-13-2022, 12:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:

You can run more than 2 FS units on a network as long as you buy the $300 NEP-2 expansion port. Then you can run different ducers, map cards etc and share.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/low000-...All%20Products