Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Grilling Tomahawk Ribeye - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 09:58 PM
Wallhanger

Default Grilling Tomahawk Ribeye

Hello: My local grocery store had tomahawk ribeyes on sale. My brother called me and said he would pick me up 1 if I wanted 1. I said yes as I never had 1 before. He brought it to me and it was almost 4 lbs. Never dreamed it would be that large. I'm looking for tips and information on grilling the tomahawk ribeye. Hope someone can help. Good Luck . O - R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 AM
Wallhanger

Great piece of meat..........you're gonna LOVE it....

Take out of the fridge 2-3 HOURS before grilling. Dry off all the blood with paper towels and season very liberal with Kosher Salt.....then Garlic Powder.......then Ground Pepper. Season about 30 minutes before grilling.

Get that grill HOT and throw that bad boy on there......searing the first side about 4 minutes and turn and do the same on the other side with the cover DOWN on the grill.............now check internal temp with a instant thermometer.......you want 125 degrees......turn down grill to med and turn steak for 1.5 minutes.....check temp again.........Repeat until temp is 125 degrees and then let steak rest for at least 5 minutes. Then send it to me.....
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-01-2020, 04:11 AM
Keeper

Why pay for all that bone. It's a way for the store to sell a bone that's all. it's a rib steak no big deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 04:39 AM
Wallhanger

I may be an old dumb farm kid but I think the marbling and bone adds flavor. I still prefer my chicken, pork, and beef on the bone. Just me. Enjoy that Tomahawk Steak.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 08-01-2020, 05:10 AM
Wallhanger

What is this “turn the grill down” you speak of BW?

Get grill hot, hopefully a charcoal grill and cook that bad boy up. Depending on how you like your steak cooked depends on how long you cook and before you flip. It is really no different than cooking any other steak except the bone is attached. I only cook on coals so without knowing what type of grill you will be using it’s really tough to give advice. I usually only turn my steaks 1 time and never use a thermometer as piercing the the steak will just allow the juices escape and breaks the “sear“ which is what locks in the juice.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:10 AM
Wallhanger

Bobby has it right except for turning down the grill. You definitely want to cook on charcoal. GDI has the rest of it right.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

4lb you can treat it like a standing rib roast

Although I would probably slice it in half and do a reverse sear (cutting in half is not required, I just prefer more crust):

Malcolm Reed has a good video on reverse sear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiX-fHUrUD0