Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
BPS Merger With Sportsman Whse Called Off - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
From the time they went public in 2004 there were rumors that they were a prime take-over/buyout target. They went public because several members of the 3rd generation of the family wanted to cash out.
I had the privilege of meeting Dick and Mary C back in the late '80's. My Great Aunt and Uncle went to church with them. Great people, and were concerned with taking care of both their customers and their employees. Can't imagine they would be thrilled with the way things have turned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

Shop small business and get to know the owners and they can usually get you what you need at near the same price. I CALLED OFF shopping at BPS/Cabelas long ago only as a last resort; sort of like having to cast from a dock if the boat is in the shop.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowillie View Post
Shop small business and get to know the owners and they can usually get you what you need at near the same price. I CALLED OFF shopping at BPS/Cabelas long ago only as a last resort; sort of like having to cast from a dock if the boat is in the shop.
I'll not buy anything from Amazon for the same reason
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2021, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowillie View Post
Same.
I know my local fly shop owners well, and I have known them for 15 years. A couple of years ago, in anticipation of a trip, I had a lengthy shopping list that included new rain jackets, a new 8wt reel and spare spools, fly lines, and some misc. gear. I made a list, told them to give me a bottom line price on all of it and make suggestions for substitutes if they didn't have what I wanted. They got all my stuff (and mounted backing and line) and they beat the online price that I would have paid.

I love that shop. They know what is fishing well near me, and what to use. Along with all the business I can, I also bring them donuts at Christmas :-)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
I'll not buy anything from Amazon for the same reason
Many of those small businesses use Amazon to sell their products online, so you're kind of defeating the purpose of your boycott.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Many of those small businesses use Amazon to sell their products online, so you're kind of defeating the purpose of your boycott.
Not really, I support local bricks and mortar. Are you going to be able to order minnows or night crawlers from Amazon?
Old 12-06-2021, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Not really, I support local bricks and mortar. Are you going to be able to order minnows or night crawlers from Amazon?
I was referring to other types of purchases. I still support my favorite brick and mortar marine parts store where I used to live 275 miles away by still making purchases from them from their online Ebay store.

BTW, yes you can buy crawlers from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=night+cra...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Minnows also, from a family business

https://www.amazon.com/Toledo-Goldfi...8813230&sr=8-6
Old 12-09-2021, 09:09 PM
Wallhanger

If my memory serves me well, it's called an oligopily. Def not a monopoly if they merged but they'd probably become an oligopoly.

An oligopoly is when there is more than 1 company, but only a very small # of them & they can dictate what happens in an industry.

BPS + Cabelas + Sportsman Warehouse probably fit the bill... What other chains are left other then Dick's & BPS & Scheels if the merger went through?

Happy fishing!!
Old 12-10-2021, 06:50 AM
Wallhanger

As big as BPS/Cabelas is presently, their on-line prices for lures, line, and weights are often 25% higher than my local one-shop brick & mortar tackle shop; but they say they'll price match the little guy if they have to.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Glad to see that SW will remain(?) a separate entity. When in Ankeny, Iowa, I always try to stop there, knowing they may have some different mixture of offerings. Becoming a BPS clone to me is not any advantage.

Bill

Let's say you need to find a Plano 758 box for Christmas. It will be less than $50 at Wallyworld and also at SW, but BPS would like you to pay $69.99;

I pretty much use BPS and Amazon to find the "not to pay" price.