Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Painters stepladder? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2020, 05:28 AM
Wallhanger

Default Painters stepladder?

Since I'm painting this week, I stumbled across this ladder in a video, that allows the user to get much closer to the wall than a conventional stepladder would. Is this something they modified themselves?

Brand name on it is Davidson, can't find much on them, and Werner does not seem to offer something similar.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	painting ladder.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	317960   Click image for larger version

Name:	painting ladder2.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	317962  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 05:38 AM
Keeper

To me it looks modified, the top of the ladder isn’t flat, parallel to the floor.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

I wouldn't modify the existing brace as it would limit it for future use, but you could easily just drill a hole in each leg just above or below the brace, nut a bolt on to the ladder so it sticks out 1/2", and make a quick brace from a piece of flat bar with two slots that drops on the bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

I googled “wall hugger painters ladder”. Came up with this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RKAN/?tag=jenrev-20[PHP]
Old 04-30-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if it was modified. My experience with painting and ladders and working on higher projects(like maybe light fixtures, et al)has been that getting too close may not be all that desirable, in that it may be a bit hard to look up to see the area to be worked on. Also, no place to hold the paint bucket on the one in he picture. I guess it depends on the particular job.

Bill
Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 AM
Wallhanger

The angle of the step side of the ladder appears to be too steep to be safe. A Little Giant type, although heavy, could be set up to have a much safer climbing angle.

Mark
Old 04-30-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Here is the Davidson Ladder Manufacturer:

https://68455-us.all.biz/l-3016-series-ladder-g138114

Although, one could use a ladder as it has been modified against a wall, I doubt that any safety organization would ever approve of such a modified ladder.

With the vertical back leg - there is essentially 0 forward stabilizing force in the design Thus, if the ladder was ever not against a well, a person would certainly be pitched forward as one ascended the ladder. NOT SAFE.

Yes, I realize that you are only going to use the ladder against the wall, but STILL?

Also, if you were going to effectively use such a ladder, one would also need to shorten the back legs of the ladder. If not, the steps on the ladder would not be flat and create a further hazard for anyone using the wall.

Take care
Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 AM
Wallhanger

Rotate the ladder 90 degrees and you’re closer to the wall without modifying it. Get one with steps on both sides and you move it half as often.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Here is the Davidson Ladder Manufacturer:

https://68455-us.all.biz/l-3016-series-ladder-g138114

Although, one could use a ladder as it has been modified against a wall, I doubt that any safety organization would ever approve of such a modified ladder.

With the vertical back leg - there is essentially 0 forward stabilizing force in the design Thus, if the ladder was ever not against a well, a person would certainly be pitched forward as one ascended the ladder. NOT SAFE.

Yes, I realize that you are only going to use the ladder against the wall, but STILL?

Also, if you were going to effectively use such a ladder, one would also need to shorten the back legs of the ladder. If not, the steps on the ladder would not be flat and create a further hazard for anyone using the wall.

Take care
I'm not a scientist but if you modify the ladder like the one above, then cut the back legs shorter, didn't you just bring it back to what it was? Or was that your point?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:01 AM
Wallhanger

Have seen them or similar on a few job sites. Not so much anymore, they were tippy!

The painters now will use the Little Giant style or similar and can achieve the same purpose much more securely, they use them for cutting in corners and ceilings and above doors and openings, the rest of the time with a roller and extension handle (broom sticks with screw in handles work too).

Good luck with the painting.......I have yet to find a paintbrush that properly fits my hand!