Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stratos 386XF boat owners - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonbank View Post
Out of curiosity, what was on those $46k 1850 Reata's? I got my brand new 2015 in Oct setup with a150 Merc 4S, i-link terrova, networked 899 & 859 humminbirds, bow cushions, and cover for around 39k before tax. Bare price was about 36k which the dealer told me was about at their cost.
Nothing more than what you have. Similar set up. Only significant difference is the model year.

Wonder why there would be such a price difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtulius View Post
Nothing more than what you have. Similar set up. Only significant difference is the model year.

Wonder why there would be such a price difference.
Might be the timeframe of when he bought, if he is in a state where the water freezes. Looking to unload a boat before the year end also.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Keeper

Yes, I bought it in MN so the dealer was certainly getting rid of it before it would be sitting in storage for hardwater season. That was just fine by me and I was thrilled with the price that was a couple thousand better than any other that I'd seen. There are still a few new 2015's in the area that were under 40k in the fall. With a few months of frozen water left and 2016s on the way I would think you could still get a deal on one from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 06:36 AM
Keeper

Amazing what fall brings for deals. Seems I missed out.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

I will tell you what I know of the 386. I am sponsored by the company, but can have bad information too.

The 386 Hull is an original Stratos hull, not a Champion, not a Ranger. It is time tested and proven to be a great performer. So much that when the boat got a redesign in 2015 model year that the hull was untouched.

Yes, the boat is built by Ranger. Same assembly line, same hands, same fiberglass, gel coat, carpet. There are a few materials that are proprietary to Ranger that are not used in Stratos, but they are not used in any other boat in the world either.

I have driven many 386s at photo shoots, dealer meeting, company outings, and helping new owners set their boats up. I have not seen the boat list to one side other than loaded improperly. Weight distribution is important in all deep v boats. The deeper the V the more this matters.

The boat performs very well with a 150. So much that about 85% of all 386s sold have a 150. You can expect high 40s and maybe even 50 if you get a hot motor. The 175 is not sold very often as it doesn't offer enough bang for the buck. With a 200, well over 55 mph.

The trolling motor batteries in the front do not hurt performance much. For sure if you take weight out of the bow, you will get a bit more lift. However, the above mentioned numbers show it still does just fine. Actually, I think the weight up front helps with the wicked fast hole shot and allows the 150 HP motor to do so well with the boat.

I will say this, after two seasons in my 326s, the boats are built rock solid. I use mine every day I can. Not one issue with gel cracks or structural components. I did have to change a livewell pump this year. The seats, carpet, gauges, and other components all are doing fine. The brand may not be the best known or the fanciest out there, but I challenge you to find a better value.

They perform like a boat that would cost 10 to 20 thousand more depending on models. If anyone has any specific questions that you do not want to post here, just PM me. I am always willing to help out.

Johnnie Candle
Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Candle View Post
I will tell you what I know of the 386. I am sponsored by the company, but can have bad information too.

The 386 Hull is an original Stratos hull, not a Champion, not a Ranger. It is time tested and proven to be a great performer. So much that when the boat got a redesign in 2015 model year that the hull was untouched.

Yes, the boat is built by Ranger. Same assembly line, same hands, same fiberglass, gel coat, carpet. There are a few materials that are proprietary to Ranger that are not used in Stratos, but they are not used in any other boat in the world either.

I have driven many 386s at photo shoots, dealer meeting, company outings, and helping new owners set their boats up. I have not seen the boat list to one side other than loaded improperly. Weight distribution is important in all deep v boats. The deeper the V the more this matters.

The boat performs very well with a 150. So much that about 85% of all 386s sold have a 150. You can expect high 40s and maybe even 50 if you get a hot motor. The 175 is not sold very often as it doesn't offer enough bang for the buck. With a 200, well over 55 mph.

The trolling motor batteries in the front do not hurt performance much. For sure if you take weight out of the bow, you will get a bit more lift. However, the above mentioned numbers show it still does just fine. Actually, I think the weight up front helps with the wicked fast hole shot and allows the 150 HP motor to do so well with the boat.

I will say this, after two seasons in my 326s, the boats are built rock solid. I use mine every day I can. Not one issue with gel cracks or structural components. I did have to change a livewell pump this year. The seats, carpet, gauges, and other components all are doing fine. The brand may not be the best known or the fanciest out there, but I challenge you to find a better value.

They perform like a boat that would cost 10 to 20 thousand more depending on models. If anyone has any specific questions that you do not want to post here, just PM me. I am always willing to help out.

Thank you for the clarification. I don't trust much of what dealer reps say. Thanks also for the write up. Shame there's not many Stratos dealers in the area by me.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the info Johnnie, I've watched your youtube video on the 386. You explain it well.

To the owners out there. I'm new to electronics. How is the factory finder on the boat. I believe it's a lowrance mark5x pro. I know it's not a top dog but does it work well? If I get a kicker on the back I know I'm going to have to sacrifice else ware. Probably not touch the bow mount trolling motor or the finder. Unless you guys think something is a must have.

Does anyone keep their boat in a slip all summer long? I know that can be harsh on the gel coat. Any thoughts on this? Mine would be stored this way all season.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Wallhanger

The factory fish finder is very basic. Personally I would upgrade to a color finder for sure.

Trolling motor is ok, but there are better. I would at least go with I Pilot. That spot lock feature is unreal.

For storing at a slip all summer, look into some type of anti-fouling bottom paint or coating. These are very popular in areas like the great lakes or places with large marinas. Not the most expensive and can be done yourself.

Johnnie Candle
Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Candle View Post

Looks like you have some bad info then. Next you'll saying the former Stratos Elite line of bass boats were all Stratos designed instead of rebadged Champions. The 386/385 were in fact the old Champion Fishunter 186. When Champion was discontinued, some of the molds were split up between Stratos, Triton, and Ranger. Ranger is using one of the Champ bay boats in their saltwater line up. Stratos and Triton are both using the old Fishunter. Thru the years, the top caps/ consoles have been updated but the hull remain the same Here's some of the early pics of all three. First the Champ and then the Triton and Stratos. The pics were from Triton's and Stratos's introduction release photos. Can't find my original proto type pic of the Stratos as this one has the updated interior. Now that Bass Pro bought Ranger, I guess you can kind of say Bass Pro builds them all. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114106_p_t_640x480_image03.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	189074   Click image for larger version

Name:	385XF_trailer.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	189082   Click image for larger version

Name:	featureImage_400_.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	189090   Click image for larger version

Name:	63.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	189098  

Last edited by rks; 01-21-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:57 AM
Wallhanger

Never could get used to that Stratos emblem on the arrow of a champion bass boat. Had a dealer and pro staffer tell me these were designed by Stratos ground up. Believe what you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36682_566af30cfcc0f0170d99c077_xl.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	189114  

Tags
fiberglass , fish , stratos , stratos 386 , trolling