Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reel size: Okuma 20 or the 30? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Minnow

Default Reel size: Okuma 20 or the 30?

Hey guys, first post here, but a long time lurker.

So, I'm getting into trolling this year for the first time, and doing my reel research. I narrowed it down to either getting the Okuma Magdas, or the Convectors (mostly for price), but i am stuck on which size to get. The 20, or the 30? Most of my fishing will be for walleye, lake trout, and was even thinking of doing some Musky in the future, but probably not so much salmon. I'm aware of the gearing being different on the 30's, making it easier to reel in if you're on your own, the larger spool, and the larger handle, but is this enough to choose the 30 over the 20 for my application?

So which one do you think is a better fit for me? or what are your guys opinions on those who have either or? Any regrets for those who bought the 20 or the 30? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Keeper

I have both sizes and fish walleye/salmon and lakers.

I use the 30's for 30lb mono for salmon and lakers

The 20's I have 20lb braid on with lots of capacity

As far as performance I've never noticed a difference when fighting a fish.

So if you're going to use thicker diameter line then go with the 30, if you're using braid I'd use the 20's. Lighter and smaller to use and store.

My .02 cents
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Minnow

Thanks for your opinion, and advice. Your line diameter point is a good one that i didn't even consider. I'm planning on running a 30lb braid(PP).

To be honest, I'm leaning more towards getting the 20's, but I don't wanna come home, and find out that i should have bought the 30 for some reason lol.

Btw, the rods that i purchased are the Shimano TDR 8.6 MH if this plays any role in which reel size to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Keeper

Great choice on rods for sure. The other benefit to the 30 size is if you wanted to put leadcore on them you could fit 5 colours on there.

I would buy the 20's though. They feel more comfortable to me when using them
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Keeper

I currently have 1 Magda, 6 convectors, 2 cold waters, and one cold water low profile. All of mine with the exception of the low profile are the size 20. I use 30 pound tuff-line and have never had any issues with not having enough line. I would put 20 or 30 yards of mono backing on it just to prevent slipping. I fish for Lake trout mainly and have caught 30+ pounders off of these reels and they handle them well. The drags are great on the convectors and cold waters but the magda isn't so good but will still work if that is all you can afford.

I would highly recommend the convector in a size 20 for your application if you can afford it. Not only do you get the better drag but you get the aluminum housing and larger handle grip which is nice for fighting those bigger fish.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Wallhanger

I'd go for an accudepth in a size 27 personally. Priced between and a much better reel than the magda.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Minnow

Thanks guys. All great pointers here. Thanks for the rod reassurance, iBigmacius because I must have gone back and forth a hundred times looking at all the different types of trolling rods (dipsy, trolling, downrigger, copper, etc..) lol. But I really like how this one felt...kinda heavier than what I am used to, but I hear that it's a good "all around" trolling rod.

So I think I'm gonna take the plunge, and get the size 20 Convectors. I feel that it's probably a more suitable size for me. Now i just need to learn to apply enough backing(was thinking of using 10lb mono), and enough mainline to do a proper counter calibration, and I should be set...until the next questions arise (which will probably be in a few minutes lol).
Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo307 View Post
I currently have 1 Magda, 6 convectors, 2 cold waters, and one cold water low profile. All of mine with the exception of the low profile are the size 20. I use 30 pound tuff-line and have never had any issues with not having enough line. I would put 20 or 30 yards of mono backing on it just to prevent slipping. I fish for Lake trout mainly and have caught 30+ pounders off of these reels and they handle them well. The drags are great on the convectors and cold waters but the magda isn't so good but will still work if that is all you can afford.

I would highly recommend the convector in a size 20 for your application if you can afford it. Not only do you get the better drag but you get the aluminum housing and larger handle grip which is nice for fighting those bigger fish.
I have the 20 convectors and there plenty big enough for walleye with 30# braid main line. I use them for trolling our local lake and they seem like great reels. I already had the daiwa 17 size reels for fishing the central basin with dipsy type divers and they are plenty big enough. then I wanted to get separate reels for trolling our local lake and got a great buy on the convector 20 reels and bought them. and they work great.

when I first started trolling the central basin I bought the magda reels. they worked but I just didn't like them at all. so I upgraded to daiwa reels. I have the sealine sg17lca and the accudepth plus adp17lc reels and they both are good reels. I did upgrade the handles to the power handles. the convector reels came with the power handles. I think your not going to go wrong with the convector 20 reels. the magda reels are for people that has a very limited budget.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by compact View Post
Hey guys, first post here, but a long time lurker.

So which one do you think is a better fit for me? or what are your guys opinions on those who have either or? Any regrets for those who bought the 20 or the 30? Thanks.

I have Okuma Helios 25 on a 6'6" jigging rod and a smaller Okuma 20 ona smaller jigging rod I like to use on creeks and small rivers. I have 30s on everything I troll with from the boat on rods that are a lil bigger and heavier as well (6'6" or better)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

if you have women or kids that fish with you you'll be better off with the smaller 20 reels. I started with the magda 30 reels and when I upgraded I went with the daiwa sealine and accudepth plus 17 reels. they just fit small hands much better than the larger reels. and they still fit bigger hand to. and I still have room for 17# backing and plenty of braid on top. the 20 convector will serve you well.