Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Zipper merging now the law in IL - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Zipper merging now the law in IL

Starting today, if you encounter a lane reduction, you should be using both lanes all the way to the closure, and alternate merging.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...nID=108&GA=101

https://wrex.com/2019/12/19/secretar...ffect-in-2020/

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Starting today, if you encounter a lane reduction, you should be using both lanes all the way to the closure, and alternate merging.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...nID=108&GA=101

https://wrex.com/2019/12/19/secretar...ffect-in-2020/

HRG
I wonder what would happen if the lane reduction sign only said construction ahead.XX speed limit. With the appropriate lane closed ahead without saying which lane. Maybe that is too simple. Catchy name though."zipper merging".
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Keeper

like the law about leaving hitches on when not in use, headlights on when it rains, and oh yeah NO HAND HELD CELL PHONE USE.

good luck with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Only problem with the law is enforcement. You can't put a squad car at the merge point cuz cop cars for some reason stop traffic.

Zipper laws are good, but like round-a-bouts people need to learn how to do it.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I don't get it? Light to medium traffic that is flowing fine, and folks start the merge at the first sign. Traffic blends into the one lane with no slow down. Wait to the last minute to merge, and all you see is brake lights! Now when there is a back up of traffic, I can see the zipper merge, so traffic can flow from both lanes. I don't know, maybe it is a good idea, because probably 75% of drivers today don't even know how to merge onto a highway. They build entrance ramps 1/2 mile long and folks entering will pace your car in the traffic lane to the end of the ramp, then then give you the finger because you didn't let them in. They had a 1/2 mile to accelerate ahead of you, or drop in behind you, and all of a sudden it's your fault. The entrance lane is there to keep traffic flowing! Same reason the put signs up saying a lane is closed xx miles ahead. Get in the proper lane as soon as possible and keep traffic moving. Don't be the Jack weed that roars up the soon to be closed lane, and expect people to slow down and let you in. Then screwing the whole traffic flow.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Unfortunately, no matter what method is used, drivers find a way to mess it up. The point is to try and keep traffic moving at the fastest rate possible over a given distance. With early merging, there are a number of "poor" merges, causing multiple slow downs (the in-lane driver having to slow down or tap their brakes, which may cause the guy behind to do the same, etc.). Many combined, they produce a much greater slowing of the traffic flow. Observe the pulse of brake lights as one guy way ahead has to slow down, causing everyone else behind to slow. Then you may have to accelerate to catch up again, until it repeats. Or not, if the guy in front doesn't also try to catch up.

Even if there is a back-up at the merge point, for the same initial conditions, measuring from a few miles before to a few miles after, the average speed will end up being higher doing the zipper. Even if it doesn't seem like it when you are forced to slow to a crawl as you come up on the merge point. Of course there is always a situation where "the other way" would work out better, but on average doing the zipper does work out.

Now get ready for the road rage, as the die-hard early mergers edge over to partially block the merging lane, to prevent others from "unfairly" getting ahead.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Merging around urban and suburban areas is like a form of warfare. Too many people think if it as winning or losing during a merge. lol I had to travel across MI through metro Detroit twice in the last two weeks and dealing with merging traffic as you get closer was hands down the worst part of the drive. Along I-75, no problems at all in the northern half of the state, but as soon as you hit the Flint area and south, it totally changes. I don't know if it's driver's attitudes or what, but there is a distinct difference between how smoothly merging happens and how drivers handle it between the northern and southern halves of the state.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I don't get it? Light to medium traffic that is flowing fine, and folks start the merge at the first sign. Traffic blends into the one lane with no slow down. Wait to the last minute to merge, and all you see is brake lights! Now when there is a back up of traffic, I can see the zipper merge, so traffic can flow from both lanes. I don't know, maybe it is a good idea, because probably 75% of drivers today don't even know how to merge onto a highway. They build entrance ramps 1/2 mile long and folks entering will pace your car in the traffic lane to the end of the ramp, then then give you the finger because you didn't let them in. They had a 1/2 mile to accelerate ahead of you, or drop in behind you, and all of a sudden it's your fault. The entrance lane is there to keep traffic flowing! Same reason the put signs up saying a lane is closed xx miles ahead. Get in the proper lane as soon as possible and keep traffic moving. Don't be the Jack weed that roars up the soon to be closed lane, and expect people to slow down and let you in. Then screwing the whole traffic flow.
Just move over like you're supposed to (as you stated later in your post, "get in the proper lane") and avoid the finger.

Last edited by Derwood; 01-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:38 PM
Wallhanger

Zipper merging is a joke. Doesn’t work and no way to enforce. Snowflake law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
Just move over like you're supposed to (as you stated later in your post, "get in the proper lane") and avoid the finger.
A driver already on the highway isn't supposed to move over to let an entering car merge. He has the right of way. The merging car either accelerates and gets ahead of the oncoming traffic, or lets off the gas and slides in behind. Why do you thing they have the accel and de cell lanes for entering and exiting highways? You can see the results of those folks that think they should move over everyday. Right lane moving smoothly at 55 mph, and the left lane rolling along at 60 +. So now someone starts to merge and mister good guy in the right lane decides to move over at 55 mph to let the guy in. Now you have everyone braking in the left lane, because someone thinks they are supposed to move over. If I'm not going to create a mess of traffic, I will move over for heavy trucks and vehicles towing that need extra room to merge. If you are in a vehicle that can easily accelerate ahead or drop in behind me, don't expect me to move over. PS half the time you move over for that guy that paces you, he will do the same after on the highway. Now you yourself have to either accelerate and pass him to get out of the left lane, or you need to slow down and drop in behind him.

Last edited by Shellback; 01-01-2020 at 05:50 PM.