Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Off-Season Upgrades - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-28-2020, 05:30 PM
Minnow

Default Off-Season Upgrades

Starting to plan for what I want/need to do for next season to improve the boat. Currently run a 999 HD si/di at the counsel and 998 si/di up front. Work well but I want to upgrade a little and link with the trolling motor to be able to follow contours and have better spot lock. CUrrently have a Minnkota Terrova 24v w/ US2 transducer and looking at the Ultrex for auto deploy and want ilink to as I said follow contours. I want to use the 999 and 998 as well and network them together.
Suggestions and is the contour follow worth it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2020, 08:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colowallo View Post
Starting to plan for what I want/need to do for next season to improve the boat. Currently run a 999 HD si/di at the counsel and 998 si/di up front. Work well but I want to upgrade a little and link with the trolling motor to be able to follow contours and have better spot lock. CUrrently have a Minnkota Terrova 24v w/ US2 transducer and looking at the Ultrex for auto deploy and want ilink to as I said follow contours. I want to use the 999 and 998 as well and network them together.
Suggestions and is the contour follow worth it?

Thanks
I upgraded used boats this year, went from iPilot terrova to an iPilot Link (legacy 2016 version). I was so excited to follow the contour and all that. I find iPilot link to be a usability nightmare and so much more confusing and clunky that the original iPilot. Juice isn't worth the squeeze for me.

As far as Ultrex - read the forums, lots of issues but know a few guys with them too without problems.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chode2235 View Post
I upgraded used boats this year, went from iPilot terrova to an iPilot Link (legacy 2016 version). I was so excited to follow the contour and all that. I find iPilot link to be a usability nightmare and so much more confusing and clunky that the original iPilot. Juice isn't worth the squeeze for me.

As far as Ultrex - read the forums, lots of issues but know a few guys with them too without problems.
Thanks for the feedback - what is the main problem with the contour follow usability? THat is one of the main reasons I am looking to upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2020, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

I think the main problem is you must be willing to learn. If you do not want to study manuals a bit, stay with the simpler operating systems. Going to link requires the new "link" stuff as well as a good working knowledge of HB mapping systems. There is a learning curve for sure. You have to decide how much time you can cope with to learn the whole system or the investment will not pay off. It is not "plug and play". For my part it was well worth the time and effort. Bob
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 PM
Minnow

After researching the 999 is capable of linking but have decided to go all new. I want a finder in bow and one at counsel. Solix/Helix with Ulterra IPilot Link. Figure its cheaper than buying a new boat!
Anyone have this setup and good/bad feedback and a list of what I need to network everything?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

I have Helix units networked, Ulterra, 360 and i Pilot Link. You'll also need the appropriate Lakemaster chip for the state/lake you fish the most.

I like what I have a lot, except the 360 which is just OK.

Here is a link to Humminbird site that has different installation diagrams, gives exact part numbers for setting up a network,

https://www.humminbird.com/support/i...ation-diagrams

Good luck!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 10-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Minnow

Thank you for the diagrams and appreciate the feedback. Debating Helix or Solix now that the new Solix has dual core processor.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thank you for the diagrams and appreciate the feedback. Debating Helix or Solix now that the new Solix has dual core processor.
The Solix looks nice. Next time around I'll look more closely at them. Looks like they've done a good job with the touch screen and that users can customize a lot more on Solix.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 10-18-2020, 09:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback - what is the main problem with the contour follow usability? THat is one of the main reasons I am looking to upgrade
I have follow the contour on Helix gen 1 and Terrova. Calmer days or light wind it is fantastic, set your speed, count our line, direction and enjoy casting without much trouble. Windy days or medium winds in the wrong direction can move you too fast Or off track and the Terrova tries to go to the spot it got off track, sending the boat in a bad direction or spinning to go back. Royal PIA if two people in the boat, so once you know the limitations you will know when to use it and when not to.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
I think the main problem is you must be willing to learn. If you do not want to study manuals a bit, stay with the simpler operating systems. Going to link requires the new "link" stuff as well as a good working knowledge of HB mapping systems. There is a learning curve for sure. You have to decide how much time you can cope with to learn the whole system or the investment will not pay off. It is not "plug and play". For my part it was well worth the time and effort. Bob
I'm in the process of trying to figure out how the follow the contour feature works on the water. part of the problem for me is that the instructions are online. You either have to make notes and take them with you or print off the relevant sections of the operating manual. It's trial and error and , for me at least, very slow going. You have to fish a lot of smaller type lakes and structures to make it useful imo. I mostly troll on Erie so it really isn't something I will use a lot. For me, the legacy autopilot feature is enough. This is available with I pilot without the link. So, it really depends if the kind of fishing you do is worth the trouble to learn the follow the contour type features. It may be a good resale feature.