Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New (to me) Boat Electronics install questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Minnow

Default New (to me) Boat Electronics install questions

Hi -

First time poster/long time lurker. I'm a first time boat purchaser and I'm close to pulling the trigger on a late model/slightly used Lund from a private seller. It won't have any electronics on it, which i'm okay with because I want to customize to my liking and how I plan on fishing.

My questions are:
- I'll be adding Hummingbird graphs on the bow and at the wheel. I know that retailers like Cabela's/Bass Pro handle installations and probably most competitive pricing, but I'm thinking maybe I should establish a relatiionship with a local Lund dealer for when i need service down the road. I'm not opposed to paying a dealer a little more if I think this will curry some favor later.

I'm in the Chicago area. My local Lund dealers are Fox Lake (northern suburbs), Water Works (south) and Bedford Sales (far southwest).

Any thoughts of my best plan of action to get the boat set up, and also any experience with any of these dealers and retailers? Should I find the best deal on electronics and worry about the service from a dealer later, or am I better off building that relationship now, even if it costs me a bit more for the electronics?

Thanks for your help!

JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSev1 View Post
Hi -

First time poster/long time lurker. I'm a first time boat purchaser and I'm close to pulling the trigger on a late model/slightly used Lund from a private seller. It won't have any electronics on it, which i'm okay with because I want to customize to my liking and how I plan on fishing.

My questions are:
- I'll be adding Hummingbird graphs on the bow and at the wheel. I know that retailers like Cabela's/Bass Pro handle installations and probably most competitive pricing, but I'm thinking maybe I should establish a relatiionship with a local Lund dealer for when i need service down the road. I'm not opposed to paying a dealer a little more if I think this will curry some favor later.

I'm in the Chicago area. My local Lund dealers are Fox Lake (northern suburbs), Water Works (south) and Bedford Sales (far southwest).

Any thoughts of my best plan of action to get the boat set up, and also any experience with any of these dealers and retailers? Should I find the best deal on electronics and worry about the service from a dealer later, or am I better off building that relationship now, even if it costs me a bit more for the electronics?

Thanks for your help!

JS
12 volt electronics is very basic, just a positive and a negative. No reason to pay a dealer for that. Hardest thing will be running the transducer cable from the back to the front. And if your Lund isnt set up with a distribution block under the dash I'dd add one of those as well for whenever you get the itch to add lights ect. plenty of Youtube videos out there.

Every factory or dealer installed electronic that ive tore off used boats for myself or friends have just used cheap power taps into the 12 volt power outlet. I dont recommend that.

My latest boat i ran up a 10 gauge positive and a negative when I ran my new transducer wire up and put in a blue sea distribution block.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Keeper

Theres YouTube videos on how to install the electronics. Once you’ve decided on which ones you want google the model and I’m sure you’ll find a video and there’s plenty of help here at WC. If you decide to have them installed you might consider Hennepin Marine, they are a good dealer.
MK Terrova I-Pilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 MSI G3N
Humminbird Helix 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Keeper

Do it yourself. I did my AlumaCraft because I wanted to leave the factory wiring alone and undisturbed. Ran a heavy marine grade shielded wire from the battery to a fuse block that I purchased and installed under the dash. Then ran all of my new electronics off of the fuse block. ie NEMA 200 power, Lowrance unit, GPS Point one etc. Also ran my transducer cable. Installed my own trolling motor also. Takes some extra time, but you know how everything works.

After the wife's kitchen remodel, I might actually save up some money for my bow sonar unit.

dvl2700

2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty, 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel

Living the dream.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 AM
Minnow

Thanks guys, but i should have added I'm not quite as handy as many of you and would prefer to leave this to a pro rigger. Any additional advice is appreciated including good dealers to work with in the Chicago area.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Keeper

Ask a few good tackle shops in the area if there is anyone local they can recommend. It’s money well spent to have this professionally done. I believe most riggers charge by the hour, somewhere between $75 and $125/hr. One hour of work for an experienced rigger is like 3+ hours of work for someone learning as they go. Ask how many rigs they do a year, if they have rigged any local tournament pros boats, and if they warranty their work.

I have a new boat on order and I can do this myself, and have on occasion in the past, but I’ll likely be hiring someone to do it for me this time.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSev1 View Post
Hi -

My questions are:

Thanks for your help!

JS
JS, I understand you wanting to establish a relationship with a dealer. While I do most of my work, it sure is great to have confidence in a great dealer when you need them. I would recommend Hennepin Marine in Hennepin, IL. It's a short drive from Chicagoland, but well worth it. They are a huge Lund dealer. My brother and I bought our boats there and couldn't be happier.

The last time is was there, they had a huge selection of Humminbird and the prices were on par with the big boxes.

If you don't already know this, for a fee, the warranty is transferable on a Lund. So, this would be a good time to have the boat inspected for a warranty transfer.

Check out their webpage or Facebook page. Lots of good reviews and pics of recently sold Lunds.

https://www.hennepinmarine.com

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Minnow

not sure where you live but Stearns Marine in Aurora might be an option for you as well. Or, bring your boat to my house. I'll be doing the same thing all weekend, but I'll be swapping out the birds for Lowrance. Looking forward to it, it's also my first new (to me) boat!
Old 05-16-2019, 12:27 PM
Minnow

sorry - STIRNS Marine. My coffee is wearing off.