Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2021 Booking Issue - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 08-30-2020, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE]I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand a per bed/per person pricing structure. The trip I have upcoming this year, as well as the one I have booked next year (both in WI) are for a specific cabin. The cabin rate stays the same whether it's 1 or 6 bodies staying in it, only after a certain number is there an additional per-person charge.[/QUOTE]

Have often wondered about the variable pricing structure myself.

I always thought that 4 guys in an 8 person cabin at a lower rate may have been an empty cabin that week and the lodge owner thought 1/2 a loaf is better than none.

Interesting discussions this year on lodges/camps with their various policies and character.

Been some what of an eye opener for me.

Obabikon, Gord and others at one end with Fisherman Ted (possible SOL) in the middle to Clarkes(no question SOL) at the bottom.

Been taking copious screenshots before the threads have been obliterated, for future trip reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

I agree that the cost should be at the cabin level and then your headcount should dictate the # of boats and etc.

The camp owner should have every right to maximize their guest roster n if you have a group of 4 n get bumped from an 8 man cabin to a 4 man, that is fine as everyone will have a bed. If you want the 8 man cabin, then tell the owner and if it is open with no other larger parties, that’s a nice gesture of the camp owner to give it you or pay for it n enjoy the space you desire.

The cabin is pretty much my last concern as long as it has a wood burning stove, running water n a bunk I am fine as being in the boat on the lake is what draws me.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

Elimate the snoring problem by using ear plugs. Listening to fishermen complain about snoring is a giant pain.

If there aren't enough younger guys to man the top bunks, remove mattresses and sleep on the kitchen floor.

We've done the above, several times over the years and it worked. My guys have the power to make themselves happy and we use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=Obabikon;6478668]I want to start by saying that 2021 is a complete different beast. Many resort owners (including myself) are looking to maximize profits. So... if I have a cabin that sleep 8, and have been giving it to a group of 4... that changes next year. I am sorry. I have a cabin for four people, but I can't lose out on the additional beds next year. I must do everything I can.

That said, there is certainly a balance. Loyal customers have my first priority. At this point, I am just starting to take new bookings. I have been in contact with all of our groups.

So, not knowing the price structure, I don't really know how to comment. Is this an American Plan camp? Do they charge by the cabin, or by the person?

Several other questions would need to be answered, but certainly ANY business should put their loyal customers first.[/QUOTE]

It is an American Plan camp that charges per person.

I appreciate your stance about loyalty, Obabikon. I have researched your lodge before. I've always paid close attention to the way lodge owners have handled these tough times. I have been more than impressed with you. Based on what has occurred with "our" place, I have a feeling your spot is going to be on a short list of switches.

If we would have had at least some kind of notice, it would have been one thing. But to just spring it on is is where I have the hard time.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=Juls;6478680]I'm sorry, but I'm on the side of the lodge owner's here. You waited until now to book 2021 for the earlier date. You say you've always done one trip per year, but that this year you decided to up it to two trips this year and for 2021. Did they know that was your plan?

You should have communicated with them when the first trip was canceled, and not waited until now to let them know you wanted the same week and the same cabin.

It's not their responsibility to contact you about it. Reservations are always first come first served in my opinion.

Would it be nice if they did? Sure, that would be going above and beyond, but again...it's not their responsibility to do your job for you. They are not mind readers either. You lost out and now you're mad at them. Sorry for your loss, but this is on you and your crew.

Just my opinion....you asked for opinions. :)[/QUOTE]

Totally appreciate your thoughts, although I find them to be highly misguided. I don't think I'd stay at your lodge (I know you don't have one) with the views you have expressed. Can't imagine I'd conduct business of any kind with you knowing your thoughts on this, to be honest. Loyalty goes a long way with me.

We always re-book the trips on the last day of that year's trip. Owner's come in with their calendar and ask if we want the same time/place, and we mark it down. Been that way since the first time we stayed there.

We have been in constant contact with the owner's throughout this year. Each month, we have talked about moving our trip if the border extension got extended, and both of our scheduled trips are now a scrap. When we came to the sad realization we weren't going to get to make either, that's when the topic of 2021 started. And, yes, they knew we were doing two trips. Both had been booked at the end of last year's trip. We had talked about doing two trips for several years, and last year was the first time we decided we were going to make it a tradition.

Once again, this is a small lodge. We have stayed and booked the same week and same cabin for the past six years. We keep in touch with them throughout the year, and even visit them at sport shows! So, maybe it's not their responsibility, but I would think the customer service thing to do would to have been to at least check. And that doesn't even take into account the "friendship" part of it, in my opinion.

To me, it speaks of a pure money grab. Again, I totally get it with all that has been going on. But a simple call and heads up would have gone a long way. It looks like a roll of the dice. Maybe in the long run it will work out in their favor. Maybe it won't. Their new customers might be one and done and they have just alienated a loyal group of dedicated customers. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=Golden Eagle;6478762]Elimate the snoring problem by using ear plugs. Listening to fishermen complain about snoring is a giant pain.

If there aren't enough younger guys to man the top bunks, remove mattresses and sleep on the kitchen floor.

We've done the above, several times over the years and it worked. My guys have the power to make themselves happy and we use it.[/QUOTE]

Or we could just pitch a tent and sleep outside, right?

I'm glad your guys have the power to be able to do that. We have a couple with some serious mobility issues. Sleeping on the floor for over $1,500 a person doesn't sound too appealing to them, and it sure doesn't make things easier to them to get around.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

I think it is more than fair for you to have expected a phone call from the outfitter. I know outfitters often give returning guests the first opportunity to book the same week/cabin. Personally, I think that is the least they can do for being a loyal customer. Obviously there are many things out of their control, but an e-mail or phone call is hardly much effort to keep your customers happy.

It is also possible they just don't want you back. I am not saying that is the case at all, but I have been told a couple of times about camps not holding a regular groups spot because they are tired of them.

I guess it is time for a new adventure!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:17 PM
Wallhanger

1500$ tons of options in n.w Ontario,start your search ASAP
Old 08-30-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=NP4ME;6478616]I'm looking for expertise and opinions about a booking issue that has happened for my groups 2021 trip/s. I would also really appreciate some of the lodge owner's opinions, such as Gord and Obabikon. Here's the situation:

We were supposed to go on our second scheduled trip of the year in two weeks. Obviously, the trips are scrapped. We have been going to the same lodge for six years in a row now, starting with one trip a year, but moving it to two separate trips for this year and next. The lodge we stay at is small, with only a few cabins. My group of four has always stayed in the biggest cabin available because there are three separate bedrooms in the cabin (there are three 70+ in the group, so the different rooms is great so it eliminates the bunk bed issue for the "old timers." One of the guys also has a bad snoring problem, so it's great to get him isolated.

[COLOR="Red"]Anyway, with the cancelation of our second scheduled trip, we decided to go ahead and call to book our two 2021 trips.[/COLOR] We go the same week each year, always have. When we called to book the "big cabin," we were told it was already booked and only a one bedroom cabin was available for the group. I was not pleased. Am I wrong or out of line to think that some kind of courtesy should have been extended to checking with us about the cabin? Again, we had the same cabin booked for the same week for the past six years. I have no idea why they bumped us out, but I would think it's safe to assume they stumbled on a bigger group that is going to bring in more money for them. understandable, especially during these times, but I can't believe they wouldn't have at least checked with us about it. I am so peeved by the move that our group is debating canceling both trips and seeking our stay elsewhere.

Please give me your thoughts. Am I too worked up about it, or would some of you feel the same? Any discussion would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I don't have much to add to what has already been said...however your statement that I highlighted may be part of the issue. My experience this summer is probably similar to many owners. As each extension of border closure occurred we contacted guests as to options.....roll over to the next season....push it ahead to later in the season....both options required moving and shuffling guests. Any delays on getting a decision from a guest only makes the situation more complex, as further border extensions and subsequent shuffling of guests creates a domino effect. I'm not sure if the lack of commitment at the time the first reservation was unusable is why you are in this position, or it may be a combination of shuffling a bigger group into your week was required (by required I mean we are doing our best to accommodate groups of differing sizes into weeks that work for them). Sure, it would have been nice to get a heads up, but on the other hand they may have interpreted you were sitting on the fence about rebooking.

In the end I see your point, but it should be acknowledged that this has been an unusual year. It's not fair to the owner if you delayed in rebooking and he needed to make decisions that affect his guests and his bottom line. If I'm reading the facts wrong, my apologies in advance.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:00 PM
Wallhanger

What resort are you talking about. Is nice to know your opinion n experience for us to consider.