Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Salt in ice cubes??????????? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Keeper

Default Salt in ice cubes???????????

I have a water softener that uses salt. Soft water runs to my ice maker in my refrigerator. Am I getting SALT in my ice????? Stupid question but needed to ask................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 12:15 AM
Wallhanger

If your softener is working properly, you will not have salt in your ice cubes. You will however, likely have a milky appearance to your ice.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

--------------------------

Last edited by REW; 11-17-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 08:06 AM
Minnow

Default How a Water Softener works

Soft water is a reference to water that is lower in mineral content.
Incoming water via well or municipal contains dissolved minerals and can include iron, calcium, magnesium and other "metals" dependent upon the location. The water softener reduces these contaminants using and exchange resin. The resin traps these metals and the salt is used to remove these from the resin. The following provides a good overview of how the system functions
How a water softener works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G66IR8kS0uQ

Last edited by The Accountant; 11-17-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

No, a water softener works by what is referred to as ion exchange. You are replacing the calcium (Ca++) and magnesium (Mg++) ions with 2 sodium (Na+) or 2 potassium (K+) ions.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Minnow

Mojo not certain as to what your "No" is referring to.
Water enters the system into the resin tank, containing ion exchange resin. The metallic ions, alkali-earth elements like Calcium, Magnesium, etc. adhere to the resin. The "Softened Water" then is distributed to the home. After a certain time, usually based upon water volume, the system moves into the regeneration segment in which brine from the salt tank is flushed through the resin, to replace the metallic contaminants that were captured on the resin. The system is then flushed with water to allow additional capture of metallic contaminants.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:47 AM
Wallhanger

There will be some residual sodium in the softened water.

Soft water is better for the innards of the fridge.

I don't like drinking soft water, and our hard water is not full of iron, so I have mine hooked up to hard water, but change the filter in the fridge regularly.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Accountant View Post
Mojo not certain as to what your "No" is referring to.
Water enters the system into the resin tank, containing ion exchange resin. The metallic ions, alkali-earth elements like Calcium, Magnesium, etc. adhere to the resin. The "Softened Water" then is distributed to the home. After a certain time, usually based upon water volume, the system moves into the regeneration segment in which brine from the salt tank is flushed through the resin, to replace the metallic contaminants that were captured on the resin. The system is then flushed with water to allow additional capture of metallic contaminants.
The "no" was in response to the OP's original question, is there salt (as in NaCl) in his ice. I didn't want to get into the weeds, just answer his question.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenray View Post
I have a water softener that uses salt. Soft water runs to my ice maker in my refrigerator. Am I getting SALT in my ice????? Stupid question but needed to ask................
Salt as in some sodium ions, yes. Salt as in shaking a salt shaker over ice cube trays, no.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Fin,
The chemical formula for salt is sodium chloride. i.e. table salt, ice melt etc.

Water that has been softened using the classic ion exchange principle contains sodium carbonate.
i.e. Not salt, does not taste salty, but mixes well with soap for cleaning and does not leave deposits behind.

So, the water that goes into your refrigerator, if hooked to the soft water line contains sodium carbonate.

Good luck