Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Service Engine Light - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Service Engine Light

Does it shift hard after your SES comes on? If it does shift hard there is a good chance the code will be P1870(trans component slipping). A good tranny shop could fix the problem with a new TCC apply valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 07:47 AM
Slot Fish

If its the 96 silverado with the clogged injectors, I'd replace the CSFI injectors with the MFI replacements and if you're in California you should be able to get it done for free if you're under 200k miles
Old 05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Minnow

Wifes 2000 blazer was just in for the same problem. Faulty gas cap seal was the problem. To make a long story short. IT WASN'T TIGHT. That $45.00 dollar bill would have bought a few crankbaits. Hope that helps.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Slot Fish

I have a 2001 blazer and have been battling a re-ocurring check engine light problem for the last 40,000 miles.

One time it actually was the O2 sensor.

The rest of the time it's been the Air Pump blowing fuses. Which is something you might want to check into. I had a warranty on the truck up to 75k, so it was in for this problem under warranty repair 4 times, and still isn't right.

There's a second set of fuses in a small black box tucked under the hood on the far left. They are a pain to get to. They are the very large style fuses. I beleive there is 3 in there, and the one mine keeps blowing in one of the green ones (30amp I beleive). I did a search on the internet for something along the lines of "2001 blazer air pump fuse" after the first time it happened and I got the scoop from the mechanic and found a couple forum's where people had the same problem.

At these forums I found out where the extra fuse box was, and also how to re-set the error code on this truck. I don't remember the exacts, but it involves taking out 2 certain fuses, and disconnecting the battery for a minute. But beware, when you do this, you wipe out how your computer "learned" to run on gas/air. So after you plug the battery back in it will take about 10 attempts at starting it before it won't die. Then it will run rough for a few minutes until it "re-learns" the gas/air table.

I only did this twice, because both times, the light stayed off for a few hours of driving, then came back on, and when I looked, the fuse was blown again.

GM service has replaced the pump 3 times, re-routed the tubing for the pump, etc, and it will still blow again within a week of getting it fixed. I was told this air pump system was put in to help it pass emision tests in CA and that it's not vital to operation.

So now that it is out of warranty I just deal with the light. Plan on having a mechanic diable that warning, so I can actually have my light to warn me of any other problems.

Hope it helps.....
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Update: First of all I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. That is what make this site great! O.K. here is what I found. During the winter this vehicle was stored 90% of the time in a carport. It seems that a mouse found the air duct from the grill a great place to build a condo for varmits. I noticed some material under the air filter that did not appear to come from the vehicle. Upon further inspection I found a large critter nest inside the air tube, blocking most of the flow to the filter. Removed the critter nest and took the vehicle to Auto Zone, error code was for the air induction system. Reset code, vehicle runs fine and no more Service light on the dash. Just FYI to anyone in need of finding a error code, Advanced Auto at least in Ohio will not decode problems period. I was told it was company policy not to offer this service. Auto Zone will decode the problem, but will not reset the code. I got lucky, the guy that checked out my vehicle was about to get off work and when I explained the whole thing to him he handed me the controller and told me what buttons to push to reset the computer. So this story has a great ending for me as I had no out of pocket exspense getting this resolved. Again thanks to everyone. Kelly Matthews. Kinda Catchy.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Wallhanger

You are lucky you looked at it first. If you would have gone there first to get the code, they would have tried to sell you a new mass air flow sensor.Just because the code affects a sensor, doesn't mean that the sensor is at fault. I have seen a lot of parts replaced because of this and then when it still is not fixed they come to the experts. The repair ends up costing 2 or 3 times what the dealer would have charged to begin with. You pay for what you get-cheap parts=cheap quality. Any repair at a dealer is backed by a 1 year parts and labor warranty. If the dealer is a Mr. Goodwrench Parts Plus dealer, most parts have a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:16 PM
tom d

>I have seen
>a lot of parts replaced because of this and then when it still
>is not fixed they come to the experts. The repair ends up
>costing 2 or 3 times what the dealer would have charged to
>begin with. You pay for what you get-cheap parts=cheap
>quality.

Actually, Jon, that happens at dealers too. I had a Ford dealer that "fixed" a Mustang II of mine that would occasionally not start. I had done my diagnostic research before I dropped it off and told them what I thought the problem was. It involved replacing a resistor in the ignition system which was located in the steering column and I did not want to attempt it myself. They knew better and "fixed" a different problem!! When I came to pick it up they could not get it started to bring it out to the customer pickup area!! After they took the car back into the shop and replaced the part I had originally told them about ... VOILA!! it started.

They insisted I pay for BOTH fixes ... theirs and the one I had told them I thought the problem was. They never gave an inch when I argued that the first fix was not a fix and I should not have to pay for it. By the way, that dealer is no longer in business.

Also back in 1982 I bought a Pontiac 6000 LE. My first "nice" car with a lot of features including power door locks. For the next 4 years I could hear the electric locks locking and unlocking themselves as I walked away from or towards the car. I took it back to the dealer umpteen times and they claimed each time to have fixed it. They never got it cured. Finally after I moved to a new town I took it to the dealer in my new neighborhood. One visit and they fixed it. Of course, I got charged for all the visits after the 3-year warranty ran out.

I still go to that "new" dealer because they have generally done good work. During one of my last visits I asked them to check on the 5-year-old batter in my 1997 Lumina. It was $90 to run the analysis to see if the battery was good and $120 to replace it when it was shown to be bad (battery and installation). After I complained they dropped the $90 charge for the battery analysis. My buddy got the battery replaced in his 1997 Lumina at Mills Fleet Farm for $80 that same year ... analysis included.

That same dealer also missed a deteriorating serpentine belt during my oil changes. The belt parted at 43,000 miles when my wife was on a long trip. She was lucky to find a good garage in Platteville, Wisconsin, late on a Saturday afternoon, right at closing time. The guy stayed late to fix it for her and did not charge her extra. He would not take a "tip" either! I went back and chewed out the guys at my dealer and they were very embarrassed. They DID give me a free oil change for our trouble.

SO, you DON'T always get what you pay for at a dealer. And the dealer does NOT always do better work.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Wallhanger

There are good dealers and bad ones. The same with independant garages. The point I was trying to make was going to a parts house, pulling out a trouble code and putting in a sensor is simply taking a guess as to what is wrong. Without doing the proper diagnostics, you could be wasting alot of money. I also think that the quality of some of the aftermarket parts is poor and that the warranties for OEM parts is usually better than aftermarket. The best thing to do, is to find a reputable dealer or independant that installs quality parts and backs up his work. These vehicles are becoming electrical nightmares and alot of times, they are intermittant which makes it very hard to diagnose.