Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Stratos 21 MSX - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 03-08-2004, 09:15 AM
Troyz

Default Stratos 21 MSX

I have not heard much about this boat, what is the feedback on this boat, who is fit form and function. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Troyz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Troyz

Default RE: Stratos 21 MSX

Anybody have any feedback on this boat?

Thanks

Troyz
Old 03-09-2004, 03:44 PM
coondog

I've looked at this boat alot, the last few months and can say that it is proably the best layed out boatI have ever seen that fits my style of fishing. Jim Barta designed the interior and he did a great job. You can fish two people in the Bow with no problem. I fish alot by myself, and do a fair amount of panfishing and really like a livewell up front. Almost all the other boats only have one livewell, and it is in the back of it,so every time you want to keep a crappie, you take your foot off the trolling motor and take a 20ft. stroll to the back. SUCKS. The Rangers and Tritons are great tourny boats but this one gets my vote for everyday,anyday true Multi spieces. I saw in W.C. classifieds that Jim has his 2003 Stratos for sale, rigged up and water ready, with a 250hpdi, for under 30 grand. You will not find a 620 Ranger or a Triton 205 anywhere near this price. I dont own one yet, but when I need a new boat, this is what I'll buy. Just my 2 cents worth. COONDOG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
sorry

I have to disagree! The hull is fine and runs big water well. The inside is not setup well at all. Very poor in rod storage! The back is layed out like most with tons of room and good storage. The front is a nightmare! I like the boat and looked hard at them, but I'm waiting til they get the inside right. Also the console is not big enough for electronics. The boat was designed by bass fishermen that had no clue what us walleye guys want.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Slot Fish

One of my good friends run this boat and I have fished out of it a decent bit. I really like how the bow is set up for rod storage. If you put rod socks on your combos you can fit a ton more rods in the two side wings than you could ever dream of getting in a center locker with tubes. I currently own a crestliner TS202 and have a hard time deciding if I like like my giant deep storage up front for gear better than I would rod storage like the MSX. I can get at best 8 trolling combos and 6 spinning combos in my center rod locker and I have seen that much in one side of the MSX.

If I were to switch to a glass boat I would have to give this one serious thoughts, but I love my crestliner too much :)
Old 03-09-2004, 06:51 PM
sorry

Thats what I'm talking about, in big water with waves I dont want to crawl up front to get my rods out. I love center storage! Remove the tubes and you can get even more rods in the lockers! I hate trying to pull trolling rods out of the side up front. They set them bass boats up like that, but they live in the front of their boats!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:07 PM
coondog

Mr. Sorry , like I said, Jim Barta designed the interior of this boat, he is a pro guide on the Detroit river and does a ton of jig fishing and trolling, he is not a bass man. The rod storage is on the sides, in the bow and is big enough to hold all my jigging and trolling rods combinded. I like this boat. Fox Valley Marine in Chicago may still have a couple of '03s left. I think your just SORRY you dont own one.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

I looked at this boat also,I dont care for the rod thing either. I just got out of a Skeeter that I could get into the front compartment and lay down. I pulled the tubes out and could get 12 trolling combos and the rest of my rods needed. I like the storage for storage and rod locker for rods. The boat seems to ride nice. Some changes are needed to make this a serious wallete boat. Look at the new Triton same boat lay is much better. I think the Stratos is a good boat it just needs some changes. I bought a new boat this year and it ended up being NONE OF THE ABOVE.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:08 PM
coach 76

Please tell us what you ended up buying and the reasons for choosing that boat.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Coondog,
I purchased a 2003 Stratos 21 MSX (Jim Barta was the salesman) and have been very happy with....but I agree with the others....rod storage could be better. Went to rod socks and that worked great. The console does need some changes as far as electronics are concerned but overall the boat is very easy to fish from.
Checked out the 2004 MSX at the Ford Field boat show and nothing major has been changed. Jim still has his boat for sale and if someone is looking to buy a Stratos that is a great deal.