Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Livewell seems to airlock at times on Crestliner 202ts.... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 05-11-2004, 12:58 PM
tryfishing

Default Livewell seems to airlock at times on Crestliner 202ts....

My livewell seems to airlock and will not pump after I change fishing locations. I have back flushed from the pump and check the pump motor, it runs fine. Sometimes I switch from re-cycle to fill to get it to work. At other times it takes a while before it will start filling with water? This is a 2002 model and I have had it only a couple months... I love everything about the boat... maybe this is normal ... any help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Livewell seems to airlock at times on Crestliner 202ts....

tryfishing

It seem to be a common problem that I have had especially with longer boats. What I do when that happens is back the boat up.......
Old 05-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Most cases of air lock can be traced to "Hose Routing."

To avoid an air lock in a livewell system - or any other system for that matter - there needs to be a continuous change in elevation from source to destination.

In this case, the source is the livewell pump, and the destination is the livewell outlet tube or sprayer.

Dome manufacturers aren't as careful as they could be to avoid changes in elevation of the livewell hose/hoses during boat manufacture.
If this is the case, it is likely that there will be an air lock in the system from time to time.

Start from the livewell, and look at the placement of the livewell pump and its outlet. The outlet shound NOT be vertical. If it is vertical, it will typically gurarentee an airlock (i.e. vertical in an upward direction. Rather the pump outlet should be horizontal, or near the bottom of the hull; to allow the lowest starting elevation of the livewell hose.

Then, as you progress forward through the boat, you should have slight increase in elevation changes.

Finally, when you get to the livewell, you should have a nice smooth change in elevation to the pump outlet into the livewell.
This is the area where many manufacturers make a mistake. Either because they don't state - or the installer doesn't correctly install the system, -- there may be a high point in the line as the line nears the livewell inlet. This high point is often casued by a hose that has not been trimmed to the correct length. If this is the case, either reroute the hose, to eliminate the high spot, or cut the line to eliminate the high spot.

In other cases, the livewell inlet hose connection is positioned in the wrong direction. Sometimes the livewell inlet hose is angled upward. This upward direction, will guarentee an air lock in the system. If this inlet is angled upward - the inlet needs to be removed from the livewell, and reinstalled, with the inlet angling in a slight down configuration.

All of these things added together - essentially eliminating any high spots in the system to trap aire - will guarentee a an air lock free system.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 02:42 PM
jl1

REW,

Thanks for the info and ideas...I too own a ts202 and wondered why the heck I had to keep backing the boat up to get the livewell to fill....

Old 05-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Slot Fish

I also have a TS202 and have the same problem. I have read about checking the routing as REW suggested, but have not got to it yet.

One thing that works, at least on my boat, is 3 or 4 quick flips of the livewell pump switch from on to off.

Will crawl back in the access hole to fix the hoses one of these days.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:40 PM
tryfishing

Thanks for all the info guys... I thought it might just be me!!!
I will try the backing up the boat... sounds great. You are all appreciated!!!

Dave in S.D.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Keeper

REW makes some good points. I would do as he suggests and make sure there are no bellies in the hose. Once you have completed all that I would also suggest putting on a "Survivor" Live well intake system. This will allow you to turn off your pumps when running to another spot but at the same time fresh oxygenated water will be forced into your live well. This product will install on a crestliner in less than 1 minute with no drilling into the hull. It simply threads into the pump inlet and then is secured with a hose clamp.

I have a Crestliner and have been running this product for close to 2 years with no airlock problems ever. This product will also save the life of your pump by being able to shut off your pump while on plane.
If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] or click on the link here on WC or visit the web site at www.ynottech.com

Jon Piette NPAA #294
Y Not Technologies Pro Staff
Old 05-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Me Too

I'll second the nomination for the Survivor. Robert put one on my 202 RCL at Spring Valley. Before that I had constant problems with filling my livewell. Not anymore. The Survivor works as advertised. Best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Dale Frank