Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How much backing for braid super-lines? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have stated spinning reel.

Normally I'm a do the math guy but the reverse spool, go for a walk and reel it in seems like a great way to do it right and do it once.

Sure is great to have centuries of fishing experience available to shorten just about any learning curve.

My orange and gold swirl Doctor Spoons arrived in the mail today so just about ready to try it! The first big test will be Devils Lake early June.

Thanks
Scratcher
Just for poops and giggles I kinda did the math...the formula is calculating the volume of a very, very think and long cylinder. You plug in numbers...numbers spit out and it was fun for as long as it lasted. Problem ends up being factoring in the space between the line as it wraps (because the air space takes up volume too). Above my pay grade...

Yea...I was bored.

Whatever method you end up using though, write it down so you can remember!

Kind of related, I find that I can get the best uniform tension on the line when I tie it off to fence post and walk out into the yard 200 yards and then reel while I walk back. I keep the rod loaded for the tension I want and I get a nice, uniform and organized spool.

I also use the reverse method that guys are talking about to avoid the backing guessing game.

I have five children and we all fish...hard...I have a barn full of rods and reels to prove it. Gets. Bit nuts trying to figure out what is on all those reels...

1900Tyee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Slot Fish

Aren't most spools of superline either 150 or 300? Put it all on, not just 100
Old 06-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Go to a football field.
Wind on the 100 yards of braid.
Reel on mono until the line is filled to your satisfaction.

Take a runner and run the end of the line to the other end of the field until the reel is empty.

Cut the line off of the reel.

Walk to the other end of the line and tie the mono backing back onto the reel. Reel in the line as you walk back to the beginning and you will be set.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Keeper

Default Winner KISS

Reverse spool method wins. It's not the most scientific or sexy but it gets the job done right the first time. Thanks folks!
Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

For any newbies out there, you also want to put on a little more braid than you think you really need. You may occasionally get a loop in your line (especially on a spinning reel) that can turn into a knot if you're not really careful getting it out. Several years between line changes is a long time so it eventually will happen to almost everyone. You'll then have to cut off some of the braided line. If you haven't added enough braid in the first place to cover the loss, you'll have to replace all of the braid. Also, if you get to the point on a long cast where you are casting out almost all of the braid, you can't avoid the line catching up a little on the knot between the braid and the backing. No matter how good your knot is, the larger diameter mono makes a fairly large knot that will catch up a little as you get really close to it.

Been there done that with all of the above.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Wallhanger

No backing, just fill it up with braid. Use a piece of vet wrap to insure tight cinch to spool
Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 AM
Minnow

I use Super Slick braid on every reel I have. It improved my bass casts by about 15 yards and I have more control when casting small cranks. If you shop around you can find 30#, just an example because it is my preferred size and weight, for under $30 for 300 yards. The last batch I purchased was cheapest so far at right at $20 for 300 yards. I always check amazon, e-bay, etsy and the major onlines. You never know who ordered too much and is liquidating. And, the nice thing about being all braid is being able to clear a snag or backlash and when it starts to fade or you just have that feeling, you can strip it back to fresh colored line and still have plenty on the spool. Braid and a leader is my preference over backer and braid.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

If using a conventional reel with a spool sized for mono - fill the spool 1/2 full with appropriate lb test mono. Then, tie on braid and fill to the capacity with the braid.

But, more and more reels being sold today are being sold with spools that have 1/2 the capacity of the mono style reels and spools and can be filled to capacity with braid.

Just take the empty reel, and place a mark on the inside edge of the spool that is at the 50% capacity level. Fill to the mark with mono backing and then go for the braid.

Also, many of the new reels being sold for braid, also come with knot tying holes so that the braided - slippery line can be tied to the spool so that there is never a line slippage issue.

If you don't want a line slippage issue, the easiest thing to do, is to spool on 20 yards of mono and then tie the braid to the mono and you will not have any slippage. Simpler and easier than other types of ways to prevent slippage.

Be safe
Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltech View Post
It's a little bit of a hassle but what I have been doing is reel on your 100 yds of braid then tie and reel the mono backer until you get it where you want. Then you will need two extra spools, a cordless drill, and a bolt and nut to mount the spools onto the drill. Transfer the line onto one spool then transfer the line onto the other spool to get the line switched the right way, then reel it all back on and it will be just how you want it.
That is also the way I do it.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:29 PM
Slot Fish

I also spool 2 reels from a 150yd spool on my reels I use for vertical jigging Walleye(500 series and 1xxx series). I also will split 100 yd spools (50 yds each) on to small ice fishing reels, or 3 spools of 50 with 150 yd spools.
300yd spools and bulk spools get split as needed. Trolling reels may get a full spool and as much as 300 yds.
Depends on species too.