Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
tr-1 auto pilot - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Default tr-1 auto pilot

Has anyone used one and do they work very well in rough or windy conditions.
Thanks Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: tr-1 auto pilot

>Has anyone used one and do they work very well in rough or
>windy conditions.
>Thanks Thomas

Hi Thomas
I've been using a TR-1 gold with a trolling tack for three years now. The are excellent in rough conditions. The idle/resume button is a great feature for the troller.

Trolling into the wind depends more on the boat your in than the TR-1. Some boats lay in the water nice and you can go into the wind, some have too much free board to fight the wind.

All in all if you get one you won’t be disappointed.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Minnow

They seem to have a good product but their service isn't anything to brag about. I sent my throttle control back to Oregon to be repaired before Christmas and after three emails to them I still haven't had a response. So now I will have to call them to see what is going on. Other than that it has worked good for four years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Minnow

Is this the same autopilot (made by Autohelm(Raymarine)) you guys are talking about ? I'm thinking about getting from Cabela's for my 18' boat. I'm interested in the opinions this thread gets. I've heard good things about them.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Craig Nagy

I have had mine since 1998 and have not had one problem with it. It is the best money spent other than my Lund!! It's like having a person driving while you fish. Add a TR-1 tach and your trolling will improve even better. One of the best features is the idle resume,catch a fish,hit the button and it takes you down to a idle. Once the fish is in the net,hit the idle resume button and it takes you back to the exact speed that you caught that fish at!!!! If you have any futher questions email me at: [email protected]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

I bought one last season and love it. I fish LBDN often at night and it has worked flawlessly so far. My wife watches the map and drives with the remote like playing a video game.When rigging or landing a fish no tangles. I like the tach and throttle control also, can really fine tune speeds for trolling lead core and following bottom contours. Trolling with the waves is the usual pattern for me but it does as well as can be expected in other directions. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Steve WI

TR1 is great it is like haveing some steer the boat and is not in your way. The worse the weather the better it works. I have had excellent service. To the guy with the problem give them a call and ask for Pete. and tell him I said you should ask for him.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 AM
bill-mi

no
Old 02-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Slot Fish

Yes, the tr-1 is very good in all conditions, especially once you get it adjusted properly. If you fish in big water or fish tournaments, this is definately the way to go. The tr-1 will take care of the boat while 2 people set/watch/check lines.

And as others have said, the idle/resume and precise throttle control are huge bonuses also.

Chad Carroll
Old 02-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Minnow

Before buying the TR-1 did any of you consider the AutoHelm sold by Cabelas for one. It is 3 times less costly than the TR-1. To justify a $3,000+ cost one must fish A LOT !! If you did make the comparison, what did you like about the TR-1 vs the AutoHelm.

I'm thinking of buying one of them -- just trying to make up my mind.

Thanks for the help...