Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Purchasing a boat from a different state - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Minnow

Default Purchasing a boat from a different state

I'm looking for some advice. I'm interested in buying a boat that is located in a different state than I live. I reside in Michigan and I'm considering purchasing a boat from a private seller in Ohio. The questions I have are...

- Is the title transfer the same as if it were purchased from a seller in MI? Or do we need to prepare for any special type of title transfer between states?

- The boat will come with a trailer which is also titled and licensed in Ohio. At the time of purchase, are the plates of the trailer transferred to me? Can I then go to SOS and get plates for the trailer after the purchase?

Are there any other items that I should consider for a purchase over state lines?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default Buying from out of state

You will have to pay Michigan State sales tax on the boat and the trailer. That being said, it is my understanding that you do not have to pay sales tax on any of the equipment on the boat, including the motor (s). This would also include electronics, trolling motor, and any other "equipment" that is not permanently attached to the boat. When I bought my boat, I made an itemized list of everything I was buying and assigned a fair value on each item where it totaled what I paid. When I bought the registration for the boat in Michigan (this is where you pay the sales tax), I gave them the value of the boat for the registration, and the value of the trailer for the trailer plate.
When all was said and done, the cost of the boat was much less than the total package, because of course the boat was only part of the total package. My boat was only four or five months old, so it was pretty easy to come up with the costs of all the equipment. Good luck, and tight lines. It's my understanding that you have to pay Michigan sales tax if you reside in Michigan and are going to use the boat in Michigan. I drew up a bill of sale for the boat and a separate one for the trailer. I don't recall the SOS asking for either one, but it probably wouldn't hurt to do the same. The seller should have no problem, and certainly no tax problems signing a bill of sale.

Last edited by duckbutter; 03-09-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Slot Fish

Default hopefully ohios tax is less

i bought a boat from s.dakota iowa only charged 6% on it becasue it was from out of state iowa sales tax is 7% saved a few hundred $ look into it sales tax is on the boat and motor value not the extreas have the seller make a receipt for just the boat value not the extras also have the seller make a receipt for the trailer price if your state has tags for that also

Last edited by walleyewall; 03-09-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Slot Fish

I also just bought a boat from a private party in Illinois and I live in Michigan. It too came with a title for the boat and a title for the trailer. Just have the seller fill out both titles and you will be taxed at the SOS for the price on the title. The same as you would for purchasing a Michigan boat. It wouldn't hurt to have a bill of sale neither. You do not need anything special just the titles. The SOS will give you a registration to replace the title to the trailer (since Michigan does not have titles for trailers) and they will also give you a registration for the boat and assign you MC #'s. You will also have to purchase a non expiring trailer plate at the Michigan SOS which is $75.00. They will mail you a Michigan title within two weeks of your visit to the SOS for the boat. Good Luck! Hope this info helps.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Make sure you have the owner sign and notarize all documents and tiltles if he won't be there when you transfer everything.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Have the seller create separate bills of sale for boat, motor,trailer and any electronics and other equipment....with the purchase price broken out among those. It may save you some sales tax if you are liable for any,upon transfer of the titles,if your tax there is based on purchase price. No sense in paying tax on items you are not really liable for.

Also,,Plates are not transfered to different owners.Only titles.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

It is always best to get a Bill of Sale!

Good to have if you get stopped on the highway!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the info guy's! this should be very handy. Should I be worried about driving the trailer from the sale without a plate?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Slot Fish

Default use the plate it is already liscensed for

or hang a in transit sign on the liscense plate until u get it home
Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Slot Fish

You may get stopped but just show the police your title with the date of sale on it and you will be just fine. You can drive it home from purchasing it without a plate.

Tags
boat , buying , michigan , ohio , selling