Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Salmon set-up Questions for multi purposing Walleye gear - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 AM
Keeper

Default Salmon set-up Questions for multi purposing Walleye gear

Boat is a 19'9" Crestliner Sportfish with an extended transom(SST) so I have room but it is a typical walleye trolling rig.
I have 6 Diawa SG27 line counters on Gander Mt Planner Board 8'6" tele rods
14# XL line and I run 5 ft leaders of 17# fluorl
I have 6 large planner boards and rod holders as well.
I have snap weights, inline weights from 1/4 oz - 3 oz
I have around 7'6" bait casters set-ups with 2 on lexa 100 reels and 1 Lexa 300 on a 9ft rod in case these can be multi purposed. Powerpro 40 on the 100 and 80 lb line on the 300.
I have my fathers old Lake MI Salmon fiberglass rod and reel as well which can hold a ton of any line as well.

1hr drive I'm in Two Rivers and can fish Lake Michigan... Wish my uncle was still around as he first took me out years ago. I would prob fish about 4 times / year to start.

Looking for basic gear I can make over the winter as projects to do with my boys or what should look at purchasing and a good plan for spread on different baits for this type of rigging. I would normally be going with my two boys who will be 11 and 8 and have had no problems fishing 7 hrs with me on bago on solid waves and I suspect I can get another person to go as well. I don't fish till Late May and over by Oct due to farming but Aug/Sept is when I think I would switch over for Salmon. I do have a VHF radio as well with DSC for the just in case and rig is coast guard checked annual for safety equipment.

Any pics of your boats rigged for Salmon are great as well. Thanks for suggestions and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 06:31 AM
Wallhanger

The rods you have might work fine, but usually you want stronger line. If you could, get some other reels, 47 size Diawa's probably best and spool with 20-30 lb mono. Could also put some leadcore on them, 2,3,4,5,7,10 colors (take your pick). Inline and snap weights could be used instead, but most guys prefer core. If you plan to run downriggers, get some downrigger rods and can use the 47s with mono listed earlier.

Also, you have a PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

It would all depends on the time of year and how serous you are about
salmon fishing. Spring and Fall you can fish shallow with what you have.
If you want to fish Summer you will need downriggers for deeper water.
I use downriggers shallow and deep.
Spoons and fly's. Wire line and dipseys, Lead core off of the downriggers.
Temperature prob for the riggers.
But why "14# XL line and I run 5 ft leaders of 17# fluorl"
Why not 17# XL line and I run 15 ft leaders of 14# fluorl?
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2016, 12:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliph View Post
It would all depends on the time of year and how serous you are about
salmon fishing. Spring and Fall you can fish shallow with what you have.
If you want to fish Summer you will need downriggers for deeper water.
I use downriggers shallow and deep.
Spoons and fly's. Wire line and dipseys, Lead core off of the downriggers.
Temperature prob for the riggers.
But why "14# XL line and I run 5 ft leaders of 17# fluorl"
Why not 17# XL line and I run 15 ft leaders of 14# fluorl?
14 XL has the same dia as 10 XT so for dive curve it makes things simple. Or are you saying run 17 XL for Salmon?

Mostly Fall fishing like around now is what I am leaning towards for Salmon while I have some time before Soybeans come off the fields and the Walleye bite tends to slide off right now on Bago as well.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Usually in the fall they're in shallow, near the pier heads. so could probably get by without riggers. I would think you could run with what you have, and add on slowly as needed.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJr View Post
14 XL has the same dia as 10 XT so for dive curve it makes things simple. Or are you saying run 17 XL for Salmon?

Mostly Fall fishing like around now is what I am leaning towards for Salmon while I have some time before Soybeans come off the fields and the Walleye bite tends to slide off right now on Bago as well.
All I am saying is, why is your leader heaver than your main line?
I use a lighter leader than the main line, fluorl or not.
If your line is going to break you want the leader to break not your main line.
And XL is fine, but I like XT for my rigger rods.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:29 AM
Wallhanger

Try here maybe.

http://www.glanglerforum.com/forum/forum.php

Lots of great lakes fishing info.

Al
Old 09-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliph View Post
All I am saying is, why is your leader heaver than your main line?
I use a lighter leader than the main line, fluorl or not.
If your line is going to break you want the leader to break not your main line.
And XL is fine, but I like XT for my rigger rods.
The length of the leader will not affect the depth of your lure. Fluorocarbon is less visible so not effecting the fish bite and more durable for both netting nicks and and any other abrasions you might be faced with. Bob
Old 09-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJr View Post

I have found XL to be a bit too stretchy for walleye let alone salmon. I like the hybrid Yozuri 12# is .013 just like XT 10#. For salmon you might go with 16# or even 20.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Wallhanger

I do exactly what your asking, I multi purpose walleye and salmon gear. I ran 20lb braid for years on 20 size reels and caught both walleye and salmon with it. I just this year purchased some 30 size reels with 20lb line just for salmon fishing (mainly due to the water fleas in Ontario), but I still use the same 8ft rods for both.

Downriggers would really help you increase the amount of lines you run for salmon and can easily be taken off the boat (or even used) when walleye fishing. But without downriggers your going to need to run dipsy divers (or some type of diving device). You need to be able to get lines in the 100-150ft range to really increase the time of the year you can fish. The magnum dipsys you need to dive 100+ ft pull like a freight train and need serious rod to handle them. I do know a few guys running them on 8.5ft downrigger rods but ideally a dipsy rod is 9-10ft and a reel with braid or wire line.

The biggest thing you I would recommend would be downriggers, electrics are really nice but manuals will work fine also. You can usually find the hand crank (manual) style downriggers on craigslist or other place for pretty cheap. 2 downriggers with rods stacked (2 rods per downrigger) and 2 dipsys is a pretty solid spread for a smaller boat. Another option is planer boards with copper or even lead core line, but the amount of copper/leadcore needed to get down that deep will sink regular in-line walleye boards, unless your running a mast and big boards you will need the larger SST in-line boards to handle the weight. Obviously the tackle is completely different with flasher/flies/spoons being the main salmon takers, there is little to no crossover of baits between the two. It is definitely do-able without the need for 2 completely different sets of gear, goodluck!

Last edited by Karas3434; 09-05-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Tags
gear , michigan , salmon , trolling , trout