Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Salmon set-up Questions for multi purposing Walleye gear - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Keeper

Karas3434, Thanks for the input. Its a solid hour drive each way for me to hit Lake Michigan so not looking to go overboard on cost but fun to catch for the kids and adults for sure. Most likely would be hitting Lake Michigan in the later part of the season but depending on winds they can be in close to shore our out 100 ft deep as you note.

I wouldn't mind running 20lb powerpro line (When I started walleye fishing a few years ago I was tempted to go that route) and even if only for Aug/Sept salmon fishing swapping line out isn't a problem. I do have a few musky rods that can take a pull if I can re-purpose for dipsy but figured they would be too stiff but they are 9 ft long or better, but I can look at some winter deals on rods as some are very good and reasonable. Any suggestions on I'm all ears as at min I can check out the rod and see how they compare to others I have.

Side note on my use of heavy leaders. Tip I had was to use 17lb on crawler harnesses so I had a bunch of leader material on hand and with fishing Bago if I snag bottom I normally get my lure back or have most the line in before I loose the lure to a snag on the bottom. Started using because cotton was getting down to the lure and needed to put a transition to catch but didn't need any more depth. So took a empty spinner rig wacked off the hooks and put on a snap and I was in business. Gives me some added abrasion before I need to change out. The 14XL main line was a pro tip from a guy near our farm, Korey Sprengel and he has given me a few nice tips along with Keith which my boys enjoy the seminars and fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

It's surprising how inexpensive these rods really are. A lot of guys will only use Ugly Sticks, which should be very cost effective. Cabela's has the depthmaster line which you can get combos for a good price. Shimano has the TDR line which is also inexpensive. As for reels, basically any large spooled linecounter will do. I've got a few Okumas, Daiwas and Shimanos. All work. Buy a combo or 2 when you can and keep adding to the arsenal. That's what I've done in the past and now I'm up to enough that I can't use them all at once. Just in time for me to quit the salmon game. ha ha.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 AM
Keeper

Default Update

Now have 4 Dipsy 10' rods from a friend who passed away and found my Dad's old tackle box of salmon gear and picked up some used stuff a well. Few dipsy, deep 6 to help get some depth. Dodgers, spoons and plugs as well. Will make some peanuts, flies and flashers with the boys over the winter as well.

Reels for lead and possibly wire:
Figure my 5500 reels could put 2 color lead with leader and backing.
5 color could set-up on my sealine 27 reels I use for walleye fishing today.
7 and 10 color would need something bigger and if going to metal might need something bigger yet. Suggestions? Basing this on a spreadsheet on line capacity. Also I didn't use for calculations but looks like suffix 832 lead core get deeper and is smaller dia... Anyone have pro or con on this stuff. Would be 27# test I would use.

Cabela Depthmaster III reels are on sale right now. look to be Magda deluxe or Pro's they note 2 bearings but not sure if ball bearings or journal bearings? in 45 are on sale for 35 bucks. Hate to by junk but looking for something to put full core of lead and partial on as well. Anyone use these on larger fish and how do they hold up? One of my concerns is a king peeling line off. Could upgrade the drag but not sure about gears and handle on these units. Just know they don't feel the most robust units but not looking at going out every weekend either.

My 8ft walleye trolling rods are Graphite and are Gander Mt Planer Board version... Wondering if I should use them for salmon or just get some cheap Cabela rods for others in the spread. Was thinking they should be fine with boards and braid or 20# mono line with drags set lighter out wide on the boards. They are stiffer then most I've seen but run Mono line today so that isn't a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. My kids are looking forward to hitting the big water for more then just a boat ride... Last time on MI we were in Door County in a harbor watching the fireworks show all around us using the trolling motor to position us for the best view. If you have a chance worth the experience on the 4th of July. Tight lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Wallhanger

Hey George - sounds like you are set. But if not, I have rigged more boats for salmon and walleye fishing than I can count. Doing another one this spring. If you are looking for more help, let me know via PM. I am about 20 min from where you are at and could help as well.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Minnow

I made a trolling board for my Skeeter MX 1825 for the back of the boat and put a bunch of rod holders on that, along with Cisco Tracks and both sides with a 3 rod rod tree on each along with two Cisco rod holders on each side made for dipsy's. On my track, I also mount my manual downriggers. I am upgrading to electrics as soon as I get off my boat and out into the garage to run the wiring for them.

This winter I also added riser to raise my rod holders and downriggers on each side to make it easier to work on the rods and also to add a little more security when things get a little snotty on Lake Ontario.

The nice thing is that I can strip the whole setup down in about 5 minutes if I want to use my boat for smallies, tubing or anything else where the tracks are in the way. It worked out well this past year. Not an ideal setup or boat but my boat is first and foremost a walleye/smallmouth boat.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Most people do not use 20 lb braid for salmon fishing. It is to thin and you can have issues with it sucking down into the spool and getting caught. Big fish or dipsy divers. If you 40 lb braid setup is on a line counter you could switch that reel to your dipsy rods. Most people use the round dipsys because you can rotate the weight so the dipsys pull out to the side. Mono does not work well on dipsy divers because of the stretch on it. I do not catch near as many fish on downriggers anymore. I would for sure get a few leadcore line setups. I would not recommend copper for a rookie few times a year salmon fishing. Their is a cheat for leadcore lines. Michigan stinger dive bombs hang on weights with a angle. They are designed to hook over the leadcore and you just put a pin in. You can then make a five color fish deeper then normal. You do not have to have as many leadcore setups that way. Do not use snapper weights on leadcore as it will create a weak spot. Normally 27 lb leadcore for salmon fishing . 5 core might be a little tight on the 27. If you are changing the line out on your other 27s put the 5 color line on your spare reel first then fill the reel up with your backer. Attach the backer to your other reel and transfer it over. You will not have an issue guessing how much backer to put on. For salmon fishing you want to fish with all the leadcore out. You will get a wear spot on the leadcore otherwise. Mono line gets abused pretty well salmon fishing. Most people use trilene xt because of this. Or Berkly big game. The other low cost line that works well is ande. I use to catch allot of salmon on 14 lb line. You normally had to bring allot of your other lines in when you got a big fish on. Even 12 lb sometimes works well on spoons. You would want 20 lb for fishing flasher flys. Google Dan Keating as he has very good books on salmon fishing. He is based in Illinois. Feel free to PM me as I have been small boat fishing around the Port Washington WI area for 30 years.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-22-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Wallhanger

If you have the Precision trolling app on your phone it does include depth info for dipsy divers. I prefer what they call lurk dipsy divers now. Seems the release is better then the luhr jensons. As far as your flys. You can save some money by just buying the flys and tying the hooks on yourself. You want a stiff line for whipping fly actions. I normally use 40 lb leader flourcarbon. Any thicker then that gets to be harder to tie the hooks on. The water is very clear out their now. You can never go wrong with any of the slightly different color green beads. Howe flys sells six pack flys at fleet and farm unrigged. The double aqua and LBB- little boy blue are always good. Any green fly works well. To start out get a decent amount of different white flashers and a few chrome.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-22-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Minnow

Salmon set up. In the last few years i started salmon fishing. While im still learning lots, ive come a long way from where i started and im pretty happy w my set up now. I use 30 lb braid on most of my poles. If walleye fishing, i run a 25' leader of 10# xt. When salmon fishing i switch this out to a 25' leader of 20# xt.

Another thing that really made a difference for me this year in "ease of fishing" was i bought 2 Cabelas Depthmaster 12' rods and some large capacity reels from craigslist. I spool them with 10 color suffix leadcore backed w 200 yds braid. The rods were $40 and the reels not much. The line is expensive but will last years. I could run these 2 rigs put each side of the boat without getting tangled and giving me easy depth options while not having to use planer boards.

Id run 2 lines on a downrigger, run 2 lines straightline on leadcore on my long rods, and then run 2 lines on planer boards.

Ill gladly help or provide more detail if anyone wants to know more
Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Wallhanger

Eldojb I catch allot of fish on dipsy divers or slide divers. Early morning they really like dipsy diver setups. I am surprised you run long lead core that close to the back of the boat. That's allot of risk of getting tangled bringing bigger fish in to the back of the boat. I use a few 12 foot rods for walleye trolling. I put two planer boards out a side then the 12s out to the side. Very nice if you are catching a bunch of white fish or non target fish only having two planer boards out per side. I liked the scheels 12 foot rods better then cabelas. The cabelas I used seemed to beak by the tip pretty easy.
Except for my dipsy divers I only use 8 foot or 7 foot rods for salmon fishing. They fit in my storage compartment. Unless you do not salmon troll allot you will have more breakoffs if you do not fish with all your leadcore in the water. That is why you have different lengths on different reels . The leadcore sheath will were at the tip of the line and break easier. I know someone that tried fishing that way and kept having breakoffs.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-23-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Minnow

Good feedback. I didnt have problems last year but ill keep that in mind. I usually let all 10 color out. If i wanted to get deeper id add a snap weight to the braid. The shallower lines in put on the boards or id just long line with snap weights instead of 1 of the leadcore. Ive had problems w dipsies. I seem to get them tangled in my downriggers when im letting them out. Thank you!

Tags
gear , michigan , salmon , trolling , trout