Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question on size 5 or smaller cranks baits - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Question on size 5 or smaller cranks baits

With winter boredom upon me I am sorting tackle. Some friends and family members give me tackle for Christmas Birthdays and Fathers day and so on. Sometimes they get it right and others not always but I am still grateful. Anyways to my question.

When how and why does any one ever use for instance a 5 Flicker Shad or any 5 size or smaller cranks. I generally use 7,9,11 for trolling with boards. Sometimes with the depth it will go based on line out and others with weight or a bottom bouncer. Occasionally I will us a 7 flat line no weight or boards or anything. I get it says it goes 4-9' but given its so small would has been your experience with them ? And is it even worth trolling deeper with bottom bouncer or weight ? or is it just in that band of water. I have caught big fish in 8' but always using at least a #7

Curious of others input.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2021, 04:57 PM
Keeper

I’ve used them for casting on towards the banks and for some reason I had a size 5 Rapala Shad rap in blue-silver-orange that caught northerns non stop in Canada until one finally cracked it in half.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

I use #5 Flicker Shads quite often for SM and I’ve caught several walleye with them in 10 FOW, great baits in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
I use #5 Flicker Shads quite often for SM and Iíve caught several walleye with them in 10 FOW, great baits in my opinion.
How do you get them to 10' trolling ?
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 01-14-2021, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

I've caught some really nice fish on #5's in water as deep as 30 ft. and that's because I don't fish deeper. I use Shad Raps, Jointed Shad Raps, Flicker Shads and Smash Shads among others but the best #5 that I use is the the Salmo Hornet, hands down. Walleyes love em. I get them deep using lead core and/or snap weights.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 01-14-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
How do you get them to 10' trolling ?
I use a snap weight if I want to get them that deep, but most of the time I pull them without a weight across the top of weed lines. Iíve had very good luck with Flicker shads for crappies too.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:40 PM
Wallhanger

You can get 9' out of them about 150 back with 10lb mono or 10' with 10lb fireline. I have used them on Dipsey's
when the Walleyes were spitting up little shad. Bob
Old 01-15-2021, 08:53 PM
Wallhanger

Prior post was flicker shad. Same max on #5 Rapala shad raps but at about 125
Old 01-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Wallhanger

Default KP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I've caught some really nice fish on #5's in water as deep as 30 ft. and that's because I don't fish deeper. I use Shad Raps, Jointed Shad Raps, Flicker Shads and Smash Shads among others but the best #5 that I use is the the Salmo Hornet, hands down. Walleyes love em. I get them deep using lead core and/or snap weights.
What colors of Salmo #5 and what size? Best colors for me is the aqua blue then painting the bottom and gills red. For your snap weight fishing. What is you set up? Are you letting 50' of line out, then attaching the weight.

What do you like best lead or snap weights?

Appreciate any advice

Last edited by Gary Korsgaden; 01-16-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

Gary,

Lead core and snap weights work equally well from what I've noticed over the years. I fish them together were my wife I can fish with two rods each with snap weights on the inside rods almost straight back and lead core on 10 1/2 foot rods straight perpendicular to the boat on each side. We rarely tangle and can cover a fairly wide path without boards. It works well for us anyway. If we can only use one rod each we troll with snap weights because it takes less time to get our lines out and back in again.
I read an article in 2010 about using heavy snap weights that I copied and pasted in the following message. We started using the method after I read the article and all I can say is it works! You may know the pro anglers featured in the article. I can honestly say that this article changed how fish and turned me into a hardcore troller. It works that well.
I have a few favorite Hornets colors and you know how it goes with colors. It varies with where you fish and the weather but my favorite colors are Dalmation, Metallic Clown, Real Sunfish, Hot Perch, Gold Fluorescent Perch, Red Tail Shiner, Viking, Sick Perch and Bullseye. I really haven't found any of their colors that don't work.
I'll often times use 5.5 Rattling Hornets and #6 Hornests as well but the #5 Hornet can't be beat.
If you've never tried them, the 2 1/2 inch Super Deep Running Salmo Bullhead is an exceptional walleye crank bait also.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 01-17-2021 at 07:40 AM.