Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
.410 Slug Question - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Keeper

Default RE: .410 Slug Question

I would say 50yds is the farthest I would shoot the .410. I have used it with slugs to about 35-40 yds and the slug did not exit. Will it work...yes, should it be used.... you decide. I wouldn't use it ever again and my kids will be using somthing else. Personally I understand the family tradition and know how much it means...but the .410 really should be used for small game. It is leagle in MN too but not to many people use it any more.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Sportdog-unlogged

Thanks for all the feedback to my question. The use of the .410 was based on emotion and family legacy. After reading all of the discussion I still think that the .410 would do the job but since it may be somewhat lacking I've decided to buy him a 20 gauge youth model that can be used for deer, turkey, and other small game. I am a little concerned about the recoil of the 20 vs the .410 so I'll have to break him in slowly. I was going to purchase this combo anyway but was just thinking about the "first deer" thing with a gun passed down by family and my departed loved ones. Again, thanks for the input, much appreciated.:thanks2:
Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

There is NO doubt that the 20 WILL do the job!!! Even without a "great" placed shot!

I'm sure you and your son will have a terrific time together - By the way - the 20 might be an even better choice then a Family Heirloom.............................BECAUSE...... ............ this gun is His and His alone - that's "Special". I remember my guns that were presents!!!!! ;-)

:cheers:

Good luck and let us know!

RANGER

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"! - Edmund Burke

"KEEP YOUR LINES WET, YOUR POWDER DRY and THE BEER COLD"!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Keeper

Sportdog,

MUCH better choice. I totally understand the family hier loom thing as I have a couple of guns handed down to me.But the 20 is a great choice for deer, grouse, or what ever for that matter. I use a 20 ga for all my bird hunting including trukey. It is just lighter and much more pleasnt to shoot. I have a slug barrel for it but I hunt in a rifle zone in MN and WI so i don't really need it.

The ammo selection for a 20ga slug is much better than a .410 too.

Good choice

Tom