Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
blowing fuses problem with trailer turn signal and brake lights - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 06-04-2020, 07:44 PM
Slot Fish

Default blowing fuses problem with trailer turn signal and brake lights

I'ts always something. Now, my drivers side trailer turn signal and brake light keep going out by blowing the fuse in my Tahoe. I replace the fuse and it lasts for a little while, like a day with use of the boat, then blows another fuse. I've hooked it up to two other vehicles and they all work. The Tahoe lights work fine on their own as do the trailer lights until the fuse blows. Not sure if it's an intermittent short somewhere or what. It's a 2016 Shorelander with LED lights. All the lights work fine until the fuse blows. I know that the left turn signal and brake light are one wire but don't really know where to start looking. Anybody got any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 PM
Wallhanger

Your problem appears to be a short in the trailer wiring.

There may be a lot of movement in the wires causing chafing against the trailer. Investigate the wiring carefully. You will probably find a point of grounding
Old 06-04-2020, 11:29 PM
Wallhanger

I’d look on the backside of the marker lights. I’ve seen multiple times where these have come loose. Other than that, start at the front and work your way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Since it's only the drivers-side (left) turn/brake circuit, this is pretty simple. Replace the yellow wire from as close to the plug all the way back to the light, that yellow wire only services that function, so just pull a new one thru and go fishing.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerWiringDiagram_lrg.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	319276  
Old 06-05-2020, 06:57 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks for all the ideas. I went out this morning to take a look. The yellow wire is pretty much fully enclosed within the frame and that makes it very difficult to visualize except at the front and back ends. Any ideas on how to see it better. Also, it might be a good idea to take the LED unit off the back to look at the wire attachments. Before I start pulling on it, is there a way to snap it off or remove it easily. These things always seem to have a way to do it which to me isn't obvious. I need to replace the right side light after it was clipped in a launch parking lot. It's still attached to the frame but pulled away. I've got it held in place with a zip tie right now.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Follow HRG's advice and just feed a new piece of yellow wire through the frame and connect the ends. You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation plus it will be real repair not just a band-aid. When I owned a couple skid loaders I learned that you can waist time looking for the frayed insulation or save time and just run a new wire.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
Follow HRG's advice and just feed a new piece of yellow wire through the frame and connect the ends. You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation plus it will be real repair not just a band-aid. When I owned a couple skid loaders I learned that you can waist time looking for the frayed insulation or save time and just run a new wire.
It may seem like a dumb question but what's the best way to tie the end of the new yellow wire to the end of the old one I'm replacing? Just tie them in a knot and pull it through? When putting the new ends together with the tag ends of the old wire is there a preferred way to do it to keep them together and would you put that plastic film that you heat up and it shrinks around the new ends? I know, lots of questions but I'd like to do this just once. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Not knowing your exact model trailer, you can expect the taillight assemblies to bolt on with a couple of 7/16" hex nuts, thru the plate behind them. They are sealed assemblies, with a pigtail & plug like shown. You may not be able to pull just the yellow wire thru the frame rail, it's probably part of a bundle with the taillight wire. You'll need to use a fish tape to get a new wire in, unless you find the problem once you remove the taillight from the frame.

If you don't have the ability to solder & shrink-sleeve, use these crimp splices with built-in shrink sleeving to seal the joint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...-000/202204345

https://www.amazon.com/Shorelander-5.../dp/B00CSSXMKW

HRG
Old 06-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvogelzang2002 View Post
It may seem like a dumb question but what's the best way to tie the end of the new yellow wire to the end of the old one I'm replacing? Just tie them in a knot and pull it through? When putting the new ends together with the tag ends of the old wire is there a preferred way to do it to keep them together and would you put that plastic film that you heat up and it shrinks around the new ends? I know, lots of questions but I'd like to do this just once. Thanks.

Electric tape them. Put them side by side with about six inches of lay between them. Electric tape it all six inches and it will hold well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Not knowing your exact model trailer, you can expect the taillight assemblies to bolt on with a couple of 7/16" hex nuts, thru the plate behind them. They are sealed assemblies, with a pigtail & plug like shown. You may not be able to pull just the yellow wire thru the frame rail, it's probably part of a bundle with the taillight wire. You'll need to use a fish tape to get a new wire in, unless you find the problem once you remove the taillight from the frame.

If you don't have the ability to solder & shrink-sleeve, use these crimp splices with built-in shrink sleeving to seal the joint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Ele...-000/202204345

https://www.amazon.com/Shorelander-5.../dp/B00CSSXMKW

HRG
HRG has the answers!