Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Verado 400 Throttle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Keeper

Default Verado 400 Throttle

I’ve got a 2020 400 HP Verado on a 2020 Ranger 621 CFS Pro and I’ve been trying to dial in the right prop. I boat at elevation, boat came with a 22 pitch Bravo I FS standard finish and my max RPM with that prop has been about 6,100 - 6,200 since break in day. I just installed a 20 pitch Bravo I FS in Pro Finish and the top end RPMs didn’t change much (I can get 6,300 at max tiller) although the hole shot is better.

On my break in day back in November 2019 I did hit 6,500 and that was with the 22 pitch prop. I’ve never hit that RPM since regardless of conditions including wind, temperature and humidity.

It really feels like the motor has a lot left just from “feel”.... Hard to describe but it sure seems like it’s not getting to full throttle. Dealer is a 3 hour tow away, otherwise I’d have them check it out. There are a couple of Mercury service centers close by and I might have them take a look.

All that said is it possible the throttle isn’t adjusted or calibrated correctly and it’s no longer getting to max throttle? It’s all electronic so I’m not sure how to validate if it’s adjusted correctly or if there’s even an option to adjust it. I’ve read the owners manual but there’s nothing there related to throttle adjustment behind tension.

Last edited by Tilzbow; 06-13-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Tilz,
Call Mercury support and ask to speak to engineering to get dialed in on any necessary procedures.

Best wishes
Old 06-14-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

You can also contact "Mercury Racing at this number --920-921-5330"

https://www.mercuryracing.com/contac...0%2D921%2D5330.

I expect that they would be happy to help you.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Here are some performance figures:

Click on the download item in the page to get all of the files downloaded for examination:

https://mercurymarine.widencollectiv...rformanceTests

Remember, you indicate that you are at altitude. What altitude are you running your rig.

Yes, the Verado motors have super chargers on them - which help to make up for the altitude, but they will still not run as strong at high altitudes as if they were running at sea level.

-------------------------------------------------------
After downloading the performance data- it looks like these test engines - typically mounted as pairs on the boats in question are running flat out at 6700 rpm.

I see that the top speeds range from 55 mph to 125 mph - depending on the boat, and prop setup.

The specs on the motor also indicate that these motors run with throttle by wire. i.e. all digital throttles. So, if you are not running at maximum speed your motor might require some programming in its computer to optimize its performance. But, this is only a guess - when looking in from afar. You do have a great engine and you should be able to enjoy some good times with it.

Best wishes
Old 06-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Here's some light reading for you,,,, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KP1Zpr__mgViel

HRG
Old 06-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Here's some light reading for you,,,, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KP1Zpr__mgViel

HRG
Thanks for posting and that’s exactly the information I was hoping to find. Looks like a trip to the local Mercury service center to check calibration might be in order.

Although, before doing that I’m going to take her out one more time to validate I’m not getting additional RPM the last 1/2” to 1” of forward throttle. I believe that’s the case but I need to validate. I’m not sure it makes a difference either since max throttle, which is what’s being calibrated in one of the steps, should be max throttle regardless of the control position when the person calibrating set max throttle....
Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM
Minnow

Default Verado

Following...did you figure out the issue?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Keeper

Do you have a Jackplate? I wonder if the motor is too deep. What kind of prop slip are you getting?

I know I’ve heard of a gentleman with similiar issues with his 622. Just can’t get the motor to rev out to the window the 400 should be in.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki7 View Post
Do you have a Jackplate? I wonder if the motor is too deep. What kind of prop slip are you getting?

I know I’ve heard of a gentleman with similiar issues with his 622. Just can’t get the motor to rev out to the window the 400 should be in.
I've got a Bob's Hydraulic with 6" set back and I've run it high, low and everywhere in between. Best spot seems to be at the 2" to 2.5" mark (raises as high as 5"). If I run higher than 2.5" I start to lose control without much RPM gains and if lower RPMs drop.

Prop slip has been 15% to 18% at WOT with the 20P Bravo I FS and 1% to 2% higher with the 22P.

I will get it into a shop in the next month or two and have them put it on their computer to check everything. A guy at Mercury thinks it might not be getting to full boost and hasn't been since the break-in day when I hit 6,500 RPM with the 22P prop. I've never been within 150 RPM of that since with even the 20P prop.

Ranger recommended I try a 19P 3 blade Tempest or a 17P Rev 4. Before I invest more money on props I want to ensure the motor is running properly.

I'm also reading about guys hitting the mid-to-high 60's with the 622 and the 22' Vexus. Either it's internet exaggeration or my boat is really under performing. 3,500 feet in elevation just doesn't seem like it should make this much difference.

All that said, I'm extremely pleased with everything else about the boat's handling characteristics. It's really incredible, stays dry and blows up 2' to 3' footers. Ride is nice, level and stable with the ZipWake system. (I've shut the ZipWake off totally and it's made no difference in WOT numbers.)

Last edited by Tilzbow; 06-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 PM
Keeper

Your story is similar to a guy I know with a 622. Basically seeing 6200rpms and high 50mph with a manual jack plate in his boat, So much more breath in the boat that isn’t being unleashed!

Can always go to USP marine and get their couple enhancement toys . They claim it improves the boat to maintain the boost and eliminate any sources of boost leak. I won’t deny they are sitting on my table too.... If they help keep the boat running optimal without boost slipping, why not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DAE1E9C-A45F-446D-9342-D2DE656596DD.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	319996