Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kicker fuel line - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Kicker fuel line

I have a 115 Merc Opti and a 8hp Yamaha kicker. I would like to run both off the main fuel tank. Using a three way fuel valve my plan goes as follows. Fuel tank then primer bulb then three way valve with lines going to each motor. By closing valve I can direct fuel to one or the other motor. Will this work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 AM
Wallhanger

I am no pro but I believe you need to have separate fuel bulbs after the valve for each engine. But I guess if you can shut one or the other off, it will prevent fuel from sucking back out of the fuel line that is not in use. Why wouldn't you just T the line after the tank and run a separate line to each motor with it's own fuel bulb?
Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
I am no pro but I believe you need to have separate fuel bulbs after the valve for each engine. But I guess if you can shut one or the other off, it will prevent fuel from sucking back out of the fuel line that is not in use. Why wouldn't you just T the line after the tank and run a separate line to each motor with it's own fuel bulb?
The fuel bulbs have check valves so you don't need a T with a shut off valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_CO View Post
The fuel bulbs have check valves so you don't need a T with a shut off valve.
But I already have the T with shutoff.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post

Less parts to fail. One primer bulbto replace. Just trying to simplify the system with the parts I have on hand.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

If you have the tee with the shutoff, it is still the best policy for each fuel line - after the tee to have its own primer bulb with its own check valve in the bulb.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2016, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

using a t with the shut off valve you only need one bulb. when one line is shut off its like only having one gas line to the other motor. this is just my opinion and what I would do if I was using the shut off valve.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

Consider installing a Fuel water separator with two feeds ( 1 main fuel line in, 2 feeds out) Primer bulbs on each fuel line will prevent siphoning as bulbs have check valves in them.

I use this setup on my 115 & 9.9. You get 2 feeds off main line plus added protection of the Water/Fuel separator.

Last edited by Binks61; 09-21-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Tried out the fuel valve with one primer bulb setup. Worked great all last week. If I change it would be to the fuel/water filter system. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

Another down side to the single bulb is the bulb is typically the weak link in the gas flow chain. If the bulb cracks/fails neither motor will work. Like said earlier, hard plumb to tee, then a bulb for each motor.

Marty