Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Really nice flashlight - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 11:01 PM
Wallhanger

I bought a Nitecore MH27. $89.99. It has a low, medium, high, and turbo beam, SOS signal, locator beacon, and strobe setting in white light. It also has red, blue, and green lights for hunting, as well as red and blue flashers for emergencies. It's rechargeable, lasts quite a while on each charge, is around six inches in length.

I had a slight issue with it 2 weeks before a hunt I had booked and I called the place I bought it from and had a brand new one in my backpack before I left.

I bought it from The House of Lumens at the St Paul Ice Show 3 years ago.

It's worth a look. Nitecore.com. I looked at some of the high dollar ones but came to the conclusion that I'd have to be nuts to pop a couple hundred on a flashlight just for hunting and letting the dogs out at night.

Good Luck in your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 05:24 AM
Keeper

Default Really nice flashlight

I would recommended the Streamlight Stinger as well. I have 5 of them. 3 of the old bulb type and two of the LEDís. LEDís are for work and the older bulb ones I have on chargers in the garage and house and truck. I would recommend going with the rechargeable style.

If you decide to buy battery style they most take the 123 battery. Find a shop equipment store that sell clothing to fire, rescue, law enforcement. They will most likely have the best prices on these batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jjunge; 03-09-2019 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

If anyone has any Maglite flashlight just change out the regular incandescent bulb for a super bright LED bulb and you have a modern WELL BUILT flashlight. It's not only 10 times brighter but also way better on battery life..................just make sure you get a LED bulb that's for shooting out a beam of light and not a LED bulb that spreads the light out near the flashlight.

I know it's brought life back into my 3 cell D battery Maglite.....
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM
Wallhanger

Snap on makes a few really nice lights. Just bought an aluminum housing rechargeable square light with magnetic base....around $80. Home depot sells a bunch of Coast brand lights and they are nice for the money. I have a handheld one that is around 1000 lumens that was like $25 and it is super bright. Not rechargeable though.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

just go to ebay and search for bright flashlight. I have a few that uses the 18650 batteries that are very bright and dependable for around 10.00. I like the single mode lights the best but they have the 5 modes for about the same price. if you want the single mode just do a search for single mode flashlight. these lights are pretty much bullet proof and last forever.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

https://www.amazon.com/GES-Rechargea...gateway&sr=8-7

Extra batteries and charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-Intell...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

------------------------------
These are remarkable lights. Bright, easy to wear and multiple functions, including adjustable zoom of the beam. Because they are so bright, they do go through the battery charge. So purchase the additional set of batteries with the charger. This charger is much much better than the plug in charger that comes with the head lamp.

------------------------
Since purchasing this head lamp, I no longer use any other flashlight. The headlamp just give you light where ever you look.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

Problem I have had with the cheap lites is always the switches or the contacts. They just don't last. Most become useless after a year or two.

I finally went with a higher quality compact light, A Fenix PD35 TAC .The cost was well worth it. I have had it for years, and has still outlasted some newer cheaper lights that made outragious claims about their quality and durability. I also use a 3400ma rechargeable Li-Ion 18650 in the Fenix.

The Nitecore brand for these types of lights are also supposed to be quite excellent. Fenix and Nitecore would likely be the best choices if you really want a quality flashlight, especially these so called tactical compact types.

Note to anyone wanting to use a type 18650 battery:
You should be using the ones with the built in protection circuit. These will shut them down before they are totally spent, and prevent internal battery damage.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
https://www.amazon.com/GES-Rechargea...gateway&sr=8-7

Extra batteries and charger:

https://www.amazon.com/Kastar-Intell...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

------------------------------
These are remarkable lights. Bright, easy to wear and multiple functions, including adjustable zoom of the beam. Because they are so bright, they do go through the battery charge. So purchase the additional set of batteries with the charger. This charger is much much better than the plug in charger that comes with the head lamp.

------------------------
Since purchasing this head lamp, I no longer use any other flashlight. The headlamp just give you light where ever you look.

Good luck
A "Headlamp" is a device to light up a area room with light but is little to no use if a beam of light is needs for any distance. It's OK for fishing but may not be suitable for other uses.

If your looking 20 or 30 feet away your headlamp light is useless and will never replace a good flashlight, especially one like a Maglite that has a adjustable lens on it. My Maglite will EASILY throw a beam of light to 30 feet where that headlamp will barely throw light 5-6'.....
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-09-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Bobby,
10-4 on your comment.

That is also why I also keep a Q-beam handy when out at night in the boat for the spot light distance requirements.

In particular, for this type light, I dislike using rechargable lights due to the weight of the batteries.

I also have a 9 inch beam that was originally specified to be used for an aircraft landing light.

I put a heavy cord and switch on the light and put a 24 volt trolling motor plug on the end of the cord.

I think that it draws about 15-20 amps when it is turned on. So, although it is bright enough to blister the paint on the house (so to speak), it has a short on time due to the very heavy current draw from the trolling motor batteries.

So, yes, use the right light for the application being considered and go from there.

Take care
Old 03-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Wallhanger

Every led ive ever owned, and most were cheapies, seemed to eat batteries super fast. Even just sitting unused they seem to run down batteries. Anybody else have this problem or am I just cursed?