Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
eagle as a family lake?? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Wallhanger

I've been staying a Clark's resorts on the Indian Chain and Cedar Lake. I highly recommend them.
Reasonable rates, clean well maintained, and really good fishing.

http://clarksresorts.com

Edit to add;
Both Cedar Lake and the Indian chain are family friendly. They are small enough that you are unlikely to get lost and they rarely get windy enough to make fishing difficult. However they are large enough so that you shouldn't get bored. They are also fairly easy to fish with walleye in all the classic spots. Rocks, weeds, wood, flats, and open water. And you can catch them trolling, casting, jigging, rigging, etc.. And the fish bite good during the daytime.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.

Last edited by pale ryder; 04-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 01:52 PM
guest carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye will View Post
I've taken a good look at it and found the walleye population is down compared to eagle. Also I believe that there aren't crappie and lower pike population? I've heard it a really good muskie lake.
With all due respect (maybe) the Chain has a HUGE walleye population, it's a numbers fishery with a chance for a big fish and in the last 5 years the pike have invaded the Chain from Corner Lake (due to high water over flow) lots of pike some big. The 3 camps on the Chain can rub elbows with almost any camp in the area and are at least 25% cheaper also. No crappie! Don't know where you got your info, but your walleye &pike info is wrong, fished the Chain for 25 years, now I go to Devils Lake, N.D. The Chain doesn't need to apologize to anyone..
Old 04-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Is Dinorwic muddy too?
Dinorwic is only slightly less muddy than Wabigoon. The Wabigoon river was dammed 100 years ago, raising the water level (creating the chain of lakes). Wabigoon and Dinorwic lakes both have a lot of clay soils which is interspersed with rock along the shoreline, when the water level was raised, the water started eroding the clay shorelines and continues to do so to this day, creating the muddy lake floor. After a windy day, areas of these two lakes looks like coffee with cream in it. You can see in many places where the clay has eventually eroded away to rock, I suspect some day in the distant future the shorelines will be mostly rock and the lakes will be much clearer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest carp View Post
With all due respect (maybe) the Chain has a HUGE walleye population, it's a numbers fishery with a chance for a big fish and in the last 5 years the pike have invaded the Chain from Corner Lake (due to high water over flow) lots of pike some big. The 3 camps on the Chain can rub elbows with almost any camp in the area and are at least 25% cheaper also. No crappie! Don't know where you got your info, but your walleye &pike info is wrong, fished the Chain for 25 years, now I go to Devils Lake, N.D. The Chain doesn't need to apologize to anyone..
What lodge did you stay at? What is the average walleye size?
Old 04-15-2016, 11:02 AM
guest carp

Default sorry Will

Quote:
What lodge did you stay at? What is the average walleye size?
I owe you an apology Will, I had my taxes done Wed. and I turn into a BIG A$$hole for a couple of days afterward. We stayed at Indian Lake lodge with owners Bill Ballentyne and then Kevin and Karen Welniak (who now own Busters BBQ) in Vermilion Bay. My younger brother owns a cabin on Indian lake also. The Chain is a numbers fishery, all different year classes of fish, loads of different sizes, you usually work your way through abunch of eater wallys ( 13-15 inchers) to get to bigger fish, that's jig fishing, OR YOU TROLL CRANKS for the bigger fish. When you troll you'll also have a real good chance for a "SKI" or pike. Little Brother got a 30 and a 32 incher (walleye) last year and I saw on here that bobbylfishermon;s wife got a 51 inch musky last fall trolling for walleyes. I've heard nothing but good things about the new owners and the accomadation are still as good as anybodys and are still fairly priced, I would be glad to help out if you need more info..
Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Keeper

Default Howdy

Will, read your post and the "carps" He hit the nail on the head pretty much, If you need some help concerning the "Chain" PM me, glad to help out and I got my taxes done 2 weeks ago,I feel your pain carp!!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest carp View Post
I owe you an apology Will, I had my taxes done Wed. and I turn into a BIG A$$hole for a couple of days afterward. We stayed at Indian Lake lodge with owners Bill Ballentyne and then Kevin and Karen Welniak (who now own Busters BBQ) in Vermilion Bay. My younger brother owns a cabin on Indian lake also. The Chain is a numbers fishery, all different year classes of fish, loads of different sizes, you usually work your way through abunch of eater wallys ( 13-15 inchers) to get to bigger fish, that's jig fishing, OR YOU TROLL CRANKS for the bigger fish. When you troll you'll also have a real good chance for a "SKI" or pike. Little Brother got a 30 and a 32 incher (walleye) last year and I saw on here that bobbylfishermon;s wife got a 51 inch musky last fall trolling for walleyes. I've heard nothing but good things about the new owners and the accomadation are still as good as anybodys and are still fairly priced, I would be glad to help out if you need more info..

It's all good. Would you say the numbers are better then eagle? Also what kind of structure would you look for walleye on th Indian chain?

Sounds like it's a pretty good multi species lake.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM
guest carp

Quote:
It's all good. Would you say the numbers are better then eagle? Also what kind of structure would you look for walleye on th Indian chain?

Sounds like it's a pretty good multi species lake.
Nobody has numbers like Eagle except Lac Seul, Eagle was almost a dead sea years ago (netting) and the ministry put the slot into place and saved the lake along with the help of the camp owners. The Chain, Loads of fish,smaller water and any type of structure you could care for, rocky points, mud flats, weed beds, wood, suspending fish, it has it all. We went up spring and fall, everything that swims is "UP" shallow those times of the year, because that's where the forage is, after the second week in June, the fish go down and you fish rock piles and points ( 10-20 ft.) you know, summer haunts, my favorite though, casting shallow running cranks on the outside of stump fields, don't let warm water fool you, there are ALWAYS wallys in that wood, they are resident fish, they live there, yearound, until the cold water pushes them deep for the winter, plus you don't really assume it's a wally you've got on, could be a ski, smallie, pike whitefish. One thing though, The Chain is a very good fishery, but I loved to fish early and late( first 2 hours and last 2 hours of daylight) in those time slots things can be magical.Hope you find place, it's a great area.. Take Care
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Keeper

Great post Carp, I stay at Indian Lake Lodge and I think I know your brother, big guy (not fat)60ish, named AL, took him to EYE a couple years back, and he got a 28incher. That cat can drink some scotch, wish you still coming up, but I'll bet OPP is glad you're not.......
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 AM
guest carp

That's him bobby, make him pay for the scotch, he can afford it, miss the Chain, and the area, but we don't drive as well as we use to, have fun you guys!!!!

Tags
onterio; family fishing , pike , walleye