Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat ladder? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Keeper

Default Boat ladder?

Most of us know and understand the need and value of life preservers and other pfd's. Has anyone thought about how we get our buddy back into the boat after we retrieve him? I'm considering a rope or chain ladder that could be hooked over the gunwale . Any thoughts or ideas ? Remember, some of us aren't quite as athletic as we once were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

It's a good idea. I have to do something myself. I'm looking for something that can collapse. Interested to see if there are any recommendations.
Thanks
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO
Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 AM
Wallhanger

There are a number of us on here that have made a platform across the splash well and have a ladder mounted to it. There were some threads on here about how different people did it, with pics. I don't know how to find them without looking thru all.
Have a great day.
JIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 AM
Wallhanger

A transom mounted folding ladder. They are small, compact, and made of stainless steel. And as it's bolted to the boat, you'll never leave it behind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandm View Post
Most of us know and understand the need and value of life preservers and other pfd's. Has anyone thought about how we get our buddy back into the boat after we retrieve him? I'm considering a rope or chain ladder that could be hooked over the gunwale . Any thoughts or ideas ? Remember, some of us aren't quite as athletic as we once were.
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

If you mount a boarding ladder on your boat, try to get one with a least three steps and preferably four. If the person is a child, old, small, impaired, out of shape or hypothermic it will be much easier for them to get up the ladder. The added cost is negligible and they really don't take up much more room than a two step ladder.
I wouldn't trust my life or those of my passengers to a rope or a chain ladder, especially to save a few bucks.

andersaki

Last edited by andersaki; 04-27-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

I have a Lund Fisherman and purchased the attached gunwale hook ladder. I would of mounted a transom ladder/platform but didn't want anything in the way when fishing or holes drilled in the transom. Make sure it's long enough to hang low in the water to accomodate getting your feet on it without a struggle. It does lay flat in the boat and telescopes but still a pain to store. Not the perfect scenario but will fit the purpose in an emergency, which was my main objective. We have also used it to reboard when pulling a tube.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...-Step&i=954376
Old 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

I always rode the trim up and in. But I'm getting older, maybe a latter is needed.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Minnow

Alumacraft Trophy 195. My concern wasn't getting my buddy back in the boat. I fish alone a lot, and I wanted to be able to get myself back in... So accessing it while in the water is a must. The Trophy is a deep boat, and the transom and gunwales look a long way up when you're treading water... Couldn't find an aftermarket ladder I liked, so I had a custom ladder built. It was expensive, but I'm really happy how it came out. Platform spans the splashwell, and rugged enough for me to climb on (I'm no lightweight)..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130612_007_zpsd5eb15f6.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	255250   Click image for larger version

Name:	130612_004_zpsc7350479.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	255258  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gct View Post
Alumacraft Trophy 195. My concern wasn't getting my buddy back in the boat. I fish alone a lot, and I wanted to be able to get myself back in... So accessing it while in the water is a must. The Trophy is a deep boat, and the transom and gunwales look a long way up when you're treading water... Couldn't find an aftermarket ladder I liked, so I had a custom ladder built. It was expensive, but I'm really happy how it came out. Platform spans the splashwell, and rugged enough for me to climb on (I'm no lightweight)..

Outboard motor can be used to climb up.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Wallhanger

https://jet.com/product/detail/e22b5...a:2&code=PLA15

I have that on my boat, have not tried it. Figure if I can get on it I can get in somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWiWxlIgK-g