Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dog bite problems - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Dog bite problems

My dog nipped my niece and my sister ended up taking her to the hospital. It was very minor but there had to be a police report filed.

Actions have been taken to insure this does not happen again. The dog is out of quarantine and all is good with him.

My home owners insurance is dropping us. I can get separate dog liability insurance but my home owners insurance company is still not interested. I cannot find anyone that will cover us even with the dog liability insurance.

I am running out of time and will be forced to put my lab down in a week if I cannot get this resolved. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

OMG!! Insurance companies suck!!! Sorry to hear this, Rich.

[url]http://www.insure.com/home-insurance/dog-owners.html[/url]

Was State Farm one of the ones you contacted yet? Looks like they may be more lenient and open minded.

Good luck.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Now Juls!!

That wasn't very nice to say about my industry! Not all insurance companies suck!!:muahaha:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Keeper

Because you are running out of time, I would post that question at [url]http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums[/url]

You won't find more serious retriever folks then there. Hope that helps
Old 04-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Wallhanger

Stay away from State farm, they sux. A guy hit me some years ago, and did not have insurance. I turned it in to State farm. They paid, and put ME on probabtion. I dropped them sap, and found a much better company.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

do you have a friend that will take the dog for awhile while you figure this out?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

Sorry, no sympathy for a dog that bites.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM
MK cant log

I suspect that as long as you own a dog that now has a "bite history" you won't find any insurance company that will cover you; I wouldn't if I was them.

Not sure what to tell you but there might be some company that will write a policy but will exclude any dog bite coverage. Check around with some independent agents, not the Allstates or the State Farms, etc. Also, get the checkbook ready; its liable to be expensive.

Considering the number of dog bites everyday in this country there must be a solution short of putting the dog down.

BTW, giving the dog away might create a huge liability issue for the people taking the dog, a known biter.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Keeper

I have had american family and acuity insurance and have never been asked if I had a dog. 2 labs Do you somehow get flagged so all insurance companies know about the bite?

I do know folks that have rotwiellers, german shepards etc.. that can't find insurance
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Carbide Dude

Default You are guilty

You are lucky she hasn't sued you. You and your dog are guilty and no excuse you can give will change that legal fact. Get rid of the dog NOw. She could get your insurance company to write her a $10,000 check and she wouldn't even have to get an attorney. a dog that bites once for any reason is a dog that will "nip" again.