Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Electric car - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained View Post
millions? they did $22 billion in revenue last year.
Against $0 profit. No worries, just a few more millions to investor loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Wallhanger

Default Solar

DW - The beauty of solar is it is clean, nonpolluting, renewable energy that can be used to net meter homes, power your car, heat your hot water, heat/cool your home. Solar energy reduces foreign oil dependency. Have you lived through a fuel crisis? I am going fishing, good luck with your point of view. Charlie
Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
or store it in a powerwall and then use it whenever you want. Generate during day, run house during day and charge car with stored energy.
Tesla advertises two packs @ $13,600 plus $1,100 for equipment for a typical household plus install . So what is the additional costs for solar collector installation for the anticipated EV demand? You, not me, should do the arithmetic and make your point demonstrating the wisdom of that investment.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Wallhanger

Do you guys know that a single cruise ships exhausts about the same number of particles into the air as 1,000,000 autos DAILY? Maybe we should ban those things.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Mark22

"Do you guys know that a single cruise ships exhausts about the same number of particles into the air as 1,000,000 autos DAILY? Maybe we should ban those things."

Not a bad idea,....
Old 06-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

That is about to change. Ships typically are fueled by bunker fuel which is literally the bottom of the barrel after useful elements of petroleum are distilled to common fuels. Ships will be required to burn cleaner fuel or install scrubbers to the exhausts. This will improve air quality but at a significant increase in shipping costs.

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...-marine-diesel

Last edited by DW; 06-05-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 06-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Note to self. Don’t anger the Tesla fanbois........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW View Post
That is about to change. Ships typically are fueled by bunker fuel which is literally the bottom of the barrel after useful elements of petroleum are distilled to common fuels. Ships will be required to burn cleaner fuel or install scrubbers to the exhausts. This will improve air quality but at a significant increase in shipping costs.

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...-marine-diesel
Those regulations are for NA and Europe. Asia, other than Japan and South Korea, will not change the way they are shipping unless it comes to one of the countries that are in the agreement. I am wondering if Mexico or some of the other Central American countries will import all the products and then put it into ships that can meet the more stringent emissions standards. Most ships will have to install DOC/DPF's and SCR aftertreatment similar to the aftertreatments on our semis and off road vehicles.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Those regulations are for NA and Europe. Asia, other than Japan and South Korea, will not change the way they are shipping unless it comes to one of the countries that are in the agreement. I am wondering if Mexico or some of the other Central American countries will import all the products and then put it into ships that can meet the more stringent emissions standards. Most ships will have to install DOC/DPF's and SCR aftertreatment similar to the aftertreatments on our semis and off road vehicles.
I don't even see it happening with US ships. Ballast water treatment for invasive species got tossed out the window, so I doubt this will ever happen, especially in the next 2 possibly 6 years.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
yeah, nebraska likely isn't ready yet...the supercharger rollout has been impressive but as I noted in an earlier post, if you're rural, and drive long distances, maybe wait a while lol

you shouldn't be charging past 80% anyway, so that's kind of the point. That's why it slows down...to remind you to get moving. If you need that last 10-20% to make it to the next charging point, then as noted above, probably not the right trip for a tesla until they build out superchargers in that area better. Here, I can go in any direction and superchargers are spaced every 100 miles. Non-issue. With one exception...due north of me, I can go about 300 miles and then the superchargers just stop. OF course that's WAY up northern ontario, so not surprising.

what did he start at? If it's a model x 75D it probably wasn't much higher. Seeing 4-5% of your range 'disappear' over the first few years is normal, then it tapers off. If he's only supercharging it can be hard, but it's not a big deal if you supercharge to 80% then go. If you're always pounding in that last 20%, sure it limits battery life but again, if he started at 212 miles max range, and now has 200, that's not a big deal. Reality is you never really use the battery from 90-100% other than some extreme situations.

The neat thing is if his battery degrades out of spec and has a problem, he probably has another 7 years of warranty, so he needn't really worry about a thing.

it was basically a trip across iowa. with a stop in iowacity, desmoines, shelby and omaha. as i said, it was january and 5 degrees. otherwise, the charger placements in IL/IA are great. and are typically at hyvee so not in the middle of nowhere.

the X is a 90D.