Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ontario Fly In - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Minnow

Default Slate Falls - Root Bay & Clarks - Wright Lake

We are going to Root Bay on Lake St Joseph May 24-June 1 this year. First time to the lake and looking forward to it. We have been going North for many years and like many have said lots of great lakes with quantity and some with better size opportunity.

We have been with Clarks multiple times and so far our favorite is Wright Lake. Good clean camps with all the outpost amenities (including generators and free minnows/bottled water). Wright Lake has produced several over 40" Pike for us in the past and Walleyes on average are bigger than most of the fly ins we have been to in the past. No monster over 30+ fish (probably a few there) but lots of fish 22-26". I would not call it a numbers lake necessarily but lots of water to fish with a few connecting lakes that can be very good as well. We will likely return one day but we tend to be nomads and like wandering around to different lakes to try something new and different every year. I also know someone that has been to Snelgrove and really likes that lake with Clarks.

I think Clarks is in that $1300 range for a 7 day trip so pretty reasonable considering what you get.

Really like what we have experienced thus far in the planning phase of the trip with Ryan at Slate Falls Outposts. Everything I read, hear and from what I have observed thus far they run a top notch fly in camp service.

Can't wait!

Good luck in your search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 08:51 PM
Slot Fish

Hooker lake with Slate Falls. It's part of the Miniss river system, so you have multiple lakes to fish and a couple of river sections as well. The whole system has big numbers of walleye. If you go, check out Minko lake. The east end has some big pike and it's one of the most serene lakes I've fished. The lakes aren't large, so weather is generally not a problem. Slate Falls is a top notch outfitter. Our group now goes to their camp on Eagle Island lake St. Joe .I fished the system for many years from a different camp on Arc lake and would be happy to help out.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveygravy View Post
I fished the system for many years from a different camp on Arc lake and would be happy to help out.

Would really love to hear about Arc, I'm fishing it early June this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

I looked at a cabin on Arc and the adjoining one that was for sale on Taper 4-5 years ago (North Umbrian was the outfitter at the time), the Arc cabin was situated on the S/E end of the lake. A small bear could almost crawl through the hole in the floor at the cabin on Taper, the sleeping cabin on Arc was not too bad, the other cabin on Arc was nothing to write home about. At the time they were asking waaay too much money for what I considered tear-downs. Another outfitter may have the LUP now, or the cabin may have been rejuvenated, I don't know, did not keep up on it. I did notice at the time that someone had written on the wall of the Arc cabin that the fishing was not too bad out a short distance from the cabin. Davygravy can probably provide more information.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Borger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveygravy View Post
I fished the system for many years from a different camp on Arc lake and would be happy to help out.

Would really love to hear about Arc, I'm fishing it early June this year.
pm sent
Old 01-19-2020, 07:42 AM
Slot Fish

Cabin on Arc has been rebuilt and is now operated by Slate Falls.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Wallhanger

Ryan gave me a tour of the Hooker cabin when I was up that way at my cabin 3 winters ago, very nice. I am sure that the new digs on Arc are just as good, Slate Falls is a class operation.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Looks like a nice pic narda.cant enlarge it.Where was it taken.
We were having lunch on an island down on Big Eagle several years ago.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Minnow

Hard to beat Erringtons Wilderness Island for great walleye fishing!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
Has anyone fished Maskara Lake through Slate Falls? . Looks like a nice camp, but the fishing seems to be strictly a numbers lake for walleye. Any pike fishing on that lake ? The website doesn’t really have a lot of information about that particular outpost camp. I like the fact that it is remote and take smaller groups of 2-5 folks all season.

PjShorthorn

I fished Maskara I believe in July 2016. Nice camp as all of their camps. It's not a large lake, but I really enjoyed it. At the lake opposite of the camp is a nice reef for jigging and between the other 2 larger bodies of water, there's a spot that is literally 3' deep where jigging for numbers was just incredible. This was by far my most successful fishing trip as an inexperienced walleye fisherman. We caught far more walleye than pike but there were still decent numbers of pike when we trolled a bit. If you're on facebook, I have some pics I can share and I'm pretty sure I have the lake map marked up somewhere.