Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garmin Striker 4 Reviews - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Garmin Striker 4 Reviews

Looking at the Garmin Striker 4 w/GPS in a Portable for Canada. Has anyone here used this setup in Canada??

Larry S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Keeper

Larry- I bought/used a Garmin 4 striker on our trip last year after my 20 year old Eagle was starting to show its age in 2018.. I had ordered the package unit that came with battery/suction cup and bag.. Overall I liked the unit but mainly used the depth/temp functions. We were not on a huge lake so I only played around with the GPS option on the first day and I did not use any waypoints etc.. The GPS functions did seem pretty straight forward to use and I plan to play around with them more on our 2020 trip. Ran the unit all day (10-12 hours) and I am sure I could have had 2-3 days off of each charge. We do have a generator at the outposts so I would charge it every night just to be on the safe side.. Would definitely look at a lithium battery if a generator was not at my camp but that is another discussion that has been covered on WC..

I know there is a separate thread on Portable units on WC and I remember several people posted about the Garmin/Striker units.. I believe most of the posts were positive.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:11 AM
Keeper

I have a striker 4 in my boat as a main locator and love it. It is simple to use and works great. I use the gps function a lot. Good luck on your purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 12:44 PM
Slot Fish

I bought a Garmin Echomap Plus 63cv and converted it to portable with a suction cup for the transducer and Cabelas 12v battery. It worked great for me on the Georgian Bay.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 PM
Keeper

Default Garmin Striker 4

I bought a Garmin Striker 4 a couple years ago when I bought a canoe.

I absolutely love it.

I had purchased a Yak Attack cell block, in order to store the battery, and I also purchased a Yak attack "switchblade," which is like an arm that fold out in order to allow you to lower the transducer into the water.

I like the unit so much that even when I rent a camp boat which is already equipped with a depth finder, that I attach and use my Garmin Striker 4 instead.

Here's some video footage when we were fishing after dark a couple years back out of a camp boat which was already equipped with sonar, but I hooked up my Garmin Striker 4 instead, because I really like the way it works.

Good luck in whatever you decide,

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9w8C5H7Ro
Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default I've got one

I have used my Striker 4 Plus as a portable unit in Canada for the past 3 trips. I works great. I also used the mapping option to map a few of the bays I like to fish. After 3 trips and just turning on the mapping function while working an area I've got pretty good contours where I need them. I use a a small 7 amp 12 volt battery (which cost less than $20) and I can run all day and recharge at night.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Default GPS Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpotjohnny48 View Post
I bought a Garmin Striker 4 a couple years ago when I bought a canoe.

I absolutely love it.

I had purchased a Yak Attack cell block, in order to store the battery, and I also purchased a Yak attack "switchblade," which is like an arm that fold out in order to allow you to lower the transducer into the water.

I like the unit so much that even when I rent a camp boat which is already equipped with a depth finder, that I attach and use my Garmin Striker 4 instead.

Here's some video footage when we were fishing after dark a couple years back out of a camp boat which was already equipped with sonar, but I hooked up my Garmin Striker 4 instead, because I really like the way it works.

Good luck in whatever you decide,

"Jackpot" John Schroeder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9w8C5H7Ro
Glad you like it. I have Hummingbird Piranha's which I use for Fly-In's Want an added GPS Function. Do you have and use GPS?

I see we share same last name, we might be related. I'm originally from Chicago,live in Henderson Nevada now. Where are you from?

Larry S
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM
Minnow

I also have the Striker 4. It works great. The hookup the the battery seems a little chintzy but it works just fine. I'm glad i bought it. Used it last year on my Canada trip. Worked great.