Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minn Kota 220 Charger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Minnow

Default Minn Kota 220 Charger

I have Minn Kota 220 that is not under warranty but needs a simple repair. The cord, thermistor and fuse need to be replaced, but Minn Kota will not tell me what Thermistor they use (apparently confidential) and will not sell me a new one. (I would be willing to pay $50 for a cord that incorporates fuse and thermistor).
Can anyone that has taken the Thermistor off tell me what number is on it. Mine says TTC 2(next numbers are scratched out).

I'm almost certain it is a 10,000 ohm NTC, but the number would tell me which one. If I dont get the info I need, I'm going to just try any 10,000 ohm thermistor.

What inline fuse do they use for the positive lead. I'm guessing 12.5 since it is a 10 amp bank?

Minn Kota customer service calls this a "unserviceable part". However, this is incorrect, it is rather "a part we choose not to service." But now I'm just gripping. She was helpful enough to give me two easy solutions, buy a new unit or go without a charger. I just spent $2600 on Johnson Outdoor products this week, but I'm not allowed to know what 10 cent thermistor they use. I'm done griping for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

PM me your contact phone number
I have a cable here taken from a mk440 that you should be able to use, the cable is good, the charger had a dead bank and that cable was just in the way
jerry

Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MK440 cable.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	104657  

Last edited by cyber16; 08-14-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Minnow

Thanks Jerry, cord worked great!!!

Does anyone else want to chop their cord off at the charger and mail it to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Wallhanger

Great, glad it worked for you
Now that my spare is gone, I hope I don't also lose a thermal resistor.
One of these days when working/repairing them, I need to cut open that cord and get the values from it. Some info minnkota could share
Old 08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Minnow

I totally agree. I was very tempted to cut open the cord you sold me, to find out, but I didn't want to ruin it.

I am very happy with my Minn Kota products but am very disappointed with the customer service so far. I disagree that it should be "confidential information" to repair a $250-450 dollar unit. I always tell my employees, "you can't avoid having bad customer service by refusing to have any customer service."
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Wallhanger

Even if minnkota offered that lead/cord at half the cost or less you were willing to pay as I did. They would be perceived at least some-what helpful.
Of course this part going bad is a very small percentage of the breakdowns with these chargers. It is usually a dead bank internally, smoked pcb

Tags
electrical , fuse , minn kota , onboard charger