Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Floating Weeds - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-16-2021, 09:24 AM
Keeper

Default Floating Weeds

This time of year on Lake St. Clair the floating weeds are a big hassle. Iím not talking about the little stringy weeds where you can put a snap weight release on your line to keep them from getting to your bait. Iím talking about big patches of weeds that will run down your line and kill your bait. Just wondering if those that fish Lake Erie and Saginaw Bay have the same problem this time of year?

Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2021, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Floating weeds can happen on any lake.

For myself, if I am troubled by such vegetation, I will simply move elsewhere to avoid the problem.

I have not found any way to effectively fish in such a situation, so I simply avoid the problem by moving - different spot on the body of water or an entirely different body of water.

As the saying goes: "Stuff happens".
Old 09-16-2021, 08:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
This time of year on Lake St. Clair the floating weeds are a big hassle. Iím not talking about the little stringy weeds where you can put a snap weight release on your line to keep them from getting to your bait. Iím talking about big patches of weeds that will run down your line and kill your bait. Just wondering if those that fish Lake Erie and Saginaw Bay have the same problem this time of year?

Donscs
It is a situation lots of places. If you are trolling with longlines you need to do a constant rotation of checking all the baits. Even using boards you can get weeds going under the boards. I put 2 lines straight behind the transom which helps on those 2 anyway. Playing the wind can help as well. Get more towards the windward side of the lake and maybe get less. It is mostly just keep clearing lines all day long. It won't last forever. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2021, 03:49 AM
Wallhanger

The floating weeds are bad in the inland lakes where I live after June. All you can do is try to find a area where they're not as bad. Trolling lines right behind the boat instead of on boards makes checking them a little faster and easier. Bottom bouncers and spinners are a little better because you don't have as much line out. Sometimes I give up Trolling and pitch jigs.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

when they start in Lake Erie we generally go up in the Detroit River and drift along with the clumps and bottom bounce lead head jigs. Much less stressful than trying to keep 6 trolling lines clear.
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Old 09-18-2021, 02:58 PM
Wallhanger

You do realize those weeds I'm LSC end up in Erie don't you. I fish western basin and depending on wind they can be impossible. Fortunately after the holiday, tuna boats seem to start getting pulled out of the water for winter and lessen the harvest to float.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXMCkoWfQo

Gerry
Old 09-20-2021, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

I had the same issue up on Sturgeon Bay back in July, no matter what depth running lure, it did not take long for things to get fouled. Switched to drifting jigs and harnesses , same result,. fishing 10-30 ft of water. Lots of that green slimy moss and single floating weeds. That's why it's called fishing instead of catching.
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO