Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ehrlichiosis - tick problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 12-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Keeper

Default Ehrlichiosis - tick problem

I made a post earlier about an injury my GSP received running into a branch and puncturing his shoulder/chest. There was continual drainage into his chest, even after the original puncture wound had healed. I was told by a vet in Bismarck, "You basically have 3 choices: send him to Minneapolis for surgery which will cost at least $1500, continue having the fluid drained with a needle (thoracocentesis) and hope he heals, or put him down. Our vet in Mobridge told me, "this doesn't make any sense...can we test him for a tick parasite? Every time we have an unexplained bleeder the test comes back positive." The test did come back positive and with a new antibiotic, Kota is pretty much back to normal. It's been 7 weeks. I visited with the Bismarck vets about it and they were very surprised.

Here's a link: http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2101&aid=430

One more reason to use tick meds.

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

I`m really glad to hear they found the problem. It`s hard to see them hurt or sick and not be able to fix them. Take good care of him, the really good ones don`t come into your life that often. Wiredog
Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Keeper

Default SeaOtter

you have mail

Oahe MrL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahe MrL View Post
I made a post earlier about an injury my GSP received running into a branch and puncturing his shoulder/chest. There was continual drainage into his chest, even after the original puncture wound had healed. I was told by a vet in Bismarck, "You basically have 3 choices: send him to Minneapolis for surgery which will cost at least $1500, continue having the fluid drained with a needle (thoracocentesis) and hope he heals, or put him down. Our vet in Mobridge told me, "this doesn't make any sense...can we test him for a tick parasite? Every time we have an unexplained bleeder the test comes back positive." The test did come back positive and with a new antibiotic, Kota is pretty much back to normal. It's been 7 weeks. I visited with the Bismarck vets about it and they were very surprised.

Here's a link: http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2101&aid=430

One more reason to use tick meds.

Martin
Thanks you for sharing
Old 09-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredog View Post
I`m really glad to hear they found the problem. It`s hard to see them hurt or sick and not be able to fix them. Take good care of him, the really good ones don`t come into your life that often. Wiredog

x2! Glad to hear your pup is going to be okay. Thanks for sharing the info.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

One more reason to get a second opinion. Glad to hear this turned out well.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Oahe MrL unlogged

Default Had to say goodbye

His injury finally caught up with him and one year, almost to the day, I had to have him put down. His entire left lung had filled with fibrous tissue and bacteria. It was so bad that the x-ray showed his lung just like his muscles, so filled with stuff.
I'm gonna miss him. The people we purchased him from has offered his brother to us. Gonna give that some thought, but am not sure if I want to try adopting a 3 year old.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Dammit! I'm sorry for you yet furious at all these tick born illnesses and anything else wierd that can take our dogs out before their time. I lost my first Golden at 6. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Wallhanger

Hope you took them up on their offer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahe MrL unlogged View Post
His injury finally caught up with him and one year, almost to the day, I had to have him put down. His entire left lung had filled with fibrous tissue and bacteria. It was so bad that the x-ray showed his lung just like his muscles, so filled with stuff.
I'm gonna miss him. The people we purchased him from has offered his brother to us. Gonna give that some thought, but am not sure if I want to try adopting a 3 year old.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Keeper

Default Grizzy is a good dog

We did take them up on their offer and are glad we did. He's going to need some work this summer with pigeons and learning what I expect of him. I wasn't worried about hunting, but was worried about how he'd react to us. But he's been awesome with us and around the house/yard; however his field work is not what I'd hoped it would be...but this was right when we got him and he didn't know me from Adam, so I expect better things are coming.

Martin "Oahe MrL"

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
Thomas Jefferson