Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Going to single battery for Verado - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-23-2021, 06:14 AM
Minnow

Default Going to single battery for Verado

Dumb question, maybe someone can help me figure this out, trying to maximize my Battery time for the Electronics. I have a 2013 Lund ProV 2075 with 300 Verado Pro that was ordered with the factory installed Kicker. So it has Dual batteries and Battery Isolator. So the House Battery has the Power Steering and different harnesses attached to it and the Main has the Verado. I use a TR-1 for steering my kicker so I never use the helm when trolling. I've up-graded the electronics to 3 12" Solix and am thinking of running everything "Boat" related to the Main and having the House only for my Electronics (I do have 1 dedicated 10/2 harnesses for each Solix as well as a separate cut off) Is that too much for the Main? I think if it was not ordered with the Kicker it would be single battery only anyway. Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm curious why you would want to run the pumps and stuff like that off the main and not the house battery.

Are you getting interference on the Solis's from the pumps?
Old 02-23-2021, 10:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Dumb question, maybe someone can help me figure this out, trying to maximize my Battery time for the Electronics. I have a 2013 Lund ProV 2075 with 300 Verado Pro that was ordered with the factory installed Kicker. So it has Dual batteries and Battery Isolator. So the House Battery has the Power Steering and different harnesses attached to it and the Main has the Verado. I use a TR-1 for steering my kicker so I never use the helm when trolling. I've up-graded the electronics to 3 12" Solix and am thinking of running everything "Boat" related to the Main and having the House only for my Electronics (I do have 1 dedicated 10/2 harnesses for each Solix as well as a separate cut off) Is that too much for the Main? I think if it was not ordered with the Kicker it would be single battery only anyway. Thanks for any advise.
Verado's need to have a designated battery recomended 1000mca AGM battery. I have been using regular acid filled batteries 1000cca batteries along with many other people i know with no issues. A few years back i tried running an HDS-10 of the V-Rod battery, two tows back to dock and a couple jump starts later i have rectified that problem. Do not make the same mistake...CHICO,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 05:47 AM
Minnow

The main battery is a 1100mca AGM Group 31, I believe a Deka. The House battery is a BPS AGM x-900 Marine Deep Cycle Group 31. Both batteries are new. I rarely use the pumps. Just spitballing if I could run everything to one, the other would be dedicated electronics and last longer.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Sounds like your setup is solid, your power steering is the key voltage draw. As long as you keep one battery designated for motor functions only, the isolater will do the rest...Chico...
Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 AM
Wallhanger

With three 12 inch displays I can see why you want to run some stuff off the main battery. Since you are not using the power steering to steer your kicker. Should not be an issue. On my boat I ran heavy gauge wires from one of the trolling battery’s to the starting battery. That way I could connect them if I ran the starting battery down to low. I guess you still have the Mercury 6 amp max kicker motor. One of the new 9.9 or 15 efi kickers. Would help your power issues. As they have max 12 amp output.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Don't you have a battery switch on there to select 1, 1&2, 2, off. When in the 1&2 position you are running both batteries in parallel. The Verado is charging both under power. Should be plenty.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Depends....

Of course it depends on how it was originally wired, but if wired according to Mercury's recommendation, the 5th battery is used to make up the amperage needed to run the power steering pump because the kickers alternator does not generate the amperage needed to run the PS pump. Also, the PS pump, with relay and isolator, turns on when the kicker is running no matter if you are using an auxiliary steering unit. Listen for the high rpm whine that the PS pump emits to check for sure.

Additionally, if you have a battery selector, as bloodman mentioned, position 1 is your main battery, position 2 is generally wired to one of your trolling motor batteries and is used as a jumper in case your main battery is low.

Again, it all depends on how the factory/dealer wired the 5th battery. I have a few diagrams here:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...p?albumid=5444
Old 02-25-2021, 05:41 AM
Minnow

Okay that makes it more complicated, I will leave it the way it was. My theory was a Bass boat, for example, has one battery for the Verado, could I go back to that and have the second battery just for electronics charged from the Isolator. I will leave it, it's starting to go beyond my understanding of the system. Thanks to all that replied.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:47 AM
Wallhanger

As mentioned before, you are going want both of those batteries for use with your all the electronics you are running. Since your TR-1 is steering the kicker, you don't need the PS pump running when your kicker is. I use my bowmount trolling motor to steer so I'm in the same "boat" so to speak. If you disconnect the "tach" wire in the mercury relay system for the kicker, It will effectively shut down the PS pump when your kicker is running. PS will still work fine while running your Verado. I rewired my battery selector switch so that the battery 2 terminal is now going to my second battery instead of one of the TM batteries. I now have 2 group 31 AGM batteries to run everything on my boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Merc ps pump.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	324344