Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crestliner livewell cable problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Keeper

Default Crestliner livewell cable problem

I have a 2007 Crestliner 202 Tournament Series. The livewell push/pull cable had to be replaced the first year. Today it broke again.

1- Has anyone had similar experiences with this cable?

2- It is a big job to replace it. Do they make an upgraded cable system that doesn't break every few years? I don't even use it that much.

3- Any suggestions are welcome. Tonight I have a livewell full of lake water, a stuck cable and a broken knob.

4- I think the fundamental design problem is a long run with multiple bends in the cable. I am wondering if I could install a control knob much closer to the livewell and use a short cable with straight run. I don't need the control next to my seat.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Wallhanger

I take it you broke the flow-rite selector switch?
I broke mine twice as well and then I made my own turn lever switch out of a couple of bolts and welded them together.
Idk why the cable on them are so stiff to move maybe it's like you said too many bends, but after I made my new switch I've never had an issue again with breakage.
PM me and I might be able to take some pics of the selector switch that I made a few years ago.
Fisherman 1792
Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Keeper

Thank you for your quick response, it is appreciated.

I talked to the dealer this afternoon and he said Crestliner doesn't offer a cable replacement but I can get one from FLow-right. The knob broke but the cable is stiff also. One thing the dealer mentioned is sometimes the valves can get stiff and tight.

I think I will start dis-assembling the back of the boat and see what possibilities exist; I may message you at a future date to see your repair; thank you for the offer.

Regardless of how I end up fixing it; I am most certainly going to shorten the cable run and make sure it is reasonably straight.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrel View Post
Thank you for your quick response, it is appreciated.

I talked to the dealer this afternoon and he said Crestliner doesn't offer a cable replacement but I can get one from FLow-right. The knob broke but the cable is stiff also. One thing the dealer mentioned is sometimes the valves can get stiff and tight.

I think I will start dis-assembling the back of the boat and see what possibilities exist; I may message you at a future date to see your repair; thank you for the offer.

Regardless of how I end up fixing it; I am most certainly going to shorten the cable run and make sure it is reasonably straight.

Thanks again.
I have a 2004 model and if you figure out how to make it smoother or at least less resistance, let me know what you did.
I tried even spraying lube in the cable but did not last.
NP on asking in the future. Its an easy fix what I did but did not solve the stiff cable issue.
Fisherman 1792
Old 12-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Hurrel,

One way to solve the problem forever - if you would choose this solution - would be to eliminate the cable, and associated plug in the livewell.

Then, just put a plug in the bottom of the livewell and pull it out to drain and put it in to fill.

You probably won't choose to use this solution, but it is simple and guaranteed to work.

Take care
Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Keeper

As for using a plug maybe simple, but not easy on my Crestliner the hole is on the side by the bottom in a narrow channel. In the center blow the 6 inch wide hinge support. I need 10 year old’s hands to get in there.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Hurrel,

One way to solve the problem forever - if you would choose this solution - would be to eliminate the cable, and associated plug in the livewell.

Then, just put a plug in the bottom of the livewell and pull it out to drain and put it in to fill.

You probably won't choose to use this solution, but it is simple and guaranteed to work.

Take care
Could do that on the older TS models but you have to make sure the selector is in the middle or empty so that it when pulling the plug the livewell will drain.

Fisherman 1792
Old 12-03-2019, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

If the cable is dry and /or rusty like my live-well cable was i used a Motion Pro 08-0182 Cable Luber.
My cable was completely seized. I removed the cable and used a vice grip pliers on one end to push and pull on the wire core while lubing it from the other end.
There are numerous videos on YouTube about the luber.
I purchased my luber on Ebay.
PB Blaster is the longest lasting lube I have used.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Keeper

Thank you, excellent suggestion.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Minnow

You sure the cable is seized?
I just went through this.
Took the cable off at the valve and found both the valve and and the cables were relatively smooth.
It didn't take much to stress the cable if it had too many turns.
Pushed into the starboard corner as much as I could to give it the path of least resistance.
Works better now. It is a shi##y design.