Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reports of several boats sunk on Lake Travis Texas - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 09-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Bobby Winds;6481046]Rioting while burying down Kenosha is what you consider acting responsibly...... Interesting ![/QUOTE]

Not at all comparable. That's violence being met with violence. The rioters, few in number but large in media attention, are upholding the spirit of the 2A. Whether or not they're right in their opinion of a tyrannical government is a different question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Ozark Bob;6481048]I am not a Texan but I know some. "Don't mess with Texas!"[/QUOTE]

I'm somewhat familiar with the state, my mom went to UT in the '50s. I don't think the culture has changed all that much for a lot of Texans.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:17 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=fishin10;6480910]I did a Google search...Lake Travis is 62 miles long, with a max depth of 210'. All the boaters must have been congregated in one area. With that many boats in one area, I'm sure the nautical rules of the road were thrown out the window.[/QUOTE]

Rules? Those folks were "freedom" lovers; rules aren't for them.

[QUOTE=jdavis;6480996]Id guess by the time the waves started getting huge everyone had some idea of what they were in for. I wonder how long it took to get off the water. I can imagine people waiting for a spot on the ramp for ages.[/QUOTE]

Just to make sure it's clear: The waves in that picture were caused by there being a whole bunch of boats of all kinds, from very large to very small, crowded ridiculously close together, moving much faster than the 10 mph that organizers had requested (see the above note about rules), and in general being operated by a bunch of a$$holes with characteristically no regard for other people. They were NOT caused by the weather turning rough. There are videos of the boat parade online that show this.

[QUOTE=Ozark Bob;6481048]I am not a Texan but I know some. "Don't mess with Texas!"[/QUOTE]

That's only the first half of the saying on the t-shirt a friend gave me while I was living in TX:[INDENT][INDENT] "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS
[/INDENT]IT'S NOT NICE TO PICK ON RETARDS"
[/INDENT]Gerry
Old 09-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=kzoofisher;6480840]Someone from a BBQ forum that claims to have been there.

“It was insane. 6-7 foot waves coming from every direction. 40 foot cigarette boats ripping through Thousands of boats at 60mph, huge cruisers throwing massive wakes. There were people out there in homemade boats, tiny little boats. I knew people were going to die as soon as we got out there.”

and

“The property damage will be in the millions. Marinas and personal boat docks (and the boats in them) were just getting thrashed. I have been out there for some wild holiday weekends but this lake has never seen anything like this. It was like a 2 hour hurricane. It’s still going but we GTFO of there. Holy moly.”

They're calling it #Dumbkirk

Still no reports of injuries, thank God.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the way it was on the Detroit River after the July 4th fireworks downtown. I made the mistake ONE time of going there by boat! I took my 17' deep-v. Trip there wasn't bad. Quite a few big 30-40' class boats kicking off wakes just cruising at a descent clip and partying, but not much different than a weekend day on the river. On the trip back, I thought I was going to die! Seriously!! As soon as the show was over, all those big boats just hammered it and were going WOT racing each other. 100's of them, wall to wall across the river. No escape! At a few points, I was riding 5-6'+ troughs and all I could see was a wall of water in front and back of me. Fiancée was on the floor terrified and sooooooooooooooooooo pi$$ed off when we finally made the 15 mile or so trip back to the dock. lol The year after that, someone in a fishing boat got killed in the same situation. They were riding a trough like I was and a full size great lakes buoy was buried in one of those waves and smacked right into it.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Keeper

We need to link these boats our discussion on how to drive on big water. :D <— That’s sarcasm...
Old 09-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=gbin;6481102]Rules? Those folks were "freedom" lovers; rules aren't for them.

Just to make sure it's clear: The waves in that picture were caused by there being a whole bunch of boats of all kinds, from very large to very small, crowded ridiculously close together, moving much faster than the 10 mph that organizers had requested (see the above note about rules), and in general being operated by a bunch of a$$holes with characteristically no regard for other people. They were NOT caused by the weather turning rough. There are videos of the boat parade online that show this.

That's only the first half of the saying on the t-shirt a friend gave me while I was living in TX:[INDENT][INDENT] "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS
[/INDENT]IT'S NOT NICE TO PICK ON RETARDS"
[/INDENT]Gerry[/QUOTE]
Did you wear it to town?"Freedom lovers" is getting political for someone who protests the same from others.