Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rock Protection - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Slot Fish

Default Rock Protection

I'm researching my options for protecting my boat. Here's my situation. This is my 1st boat and I'm quickly realizing this is going to cost some $$$ to maintain! I live in Montana and plan on fishing Fort Peck. I love that place but every road into the place is gravel. Some roads into there are 10 miles some are 60 miles of gravel. I don't want to destroy my boat in it's 1st yr. My boat will be towed by MULTIPLE rigs. Mine, my son's and my fishing partners. I'm looking at the RockGard and or the Trailer tux. I can't seem to find any prices. I have an 18" Crestliner. Another option I'm hearing about is a Boat bra. A friend uses one and swears by his.. In my research, I'm finding out that it's probably a good idea to have rock flaps as well as a guard. Are there any flaps that can be quickly changed from hitch to hitch since multiple trucks will be pulling the trailer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

This one is pretty popular.

http://www.towtector.com/
Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Slot Fish

Does that mount on the trailer? $$$??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Mount this on your trailer and you will be good to go.

http://www.trailer-rockguard.com/

or
http://rockgard.com/products/rockgard/

Not a bad idea to have a deflector mounted on the tow vehicle as well.
Standard receiver mount.

http://www.towtector.com/index.cfm/p...e=cat/cat4.htm
Old 02-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Slot Fish

these are a solid choice as well

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...2&d=1426901996
Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

These are made in Montana. They have evolved to this point through almost 20 years of use in Montana's harsh conditions
www.montanarockguards.com
Old 02-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

I use those one and never had any scratches or damage on my boat after travelling 200 on a gravel road (Gouin Reservoir) The fact that is been manufacture in the province of Quebec they are sold in Canadian $$ so for you Americans it's around 35% less because of the exhange rate.

http://www.lesenveloppesuniverselles...g_en/hull.html
Old 02-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Minnow

The Towtector guards mount to a drawbar, so they can travel from rig to rig. The issue would be setting one to the correct height for each rig. If you're driving a half ton that sits low in the back vs your son driving a 1 ton with a lift kit, for example.

Maybe the best solution would be to tell your son & fishing buddy to buy some rock guards for their trucks if they want to pull your boat

I haul my boat to the west end of Peck all the time and it's tough. No doubt I put more wear on the boat towing it than I do fishing it. But I don't get rock chips in the boat because I use two layers of rock protection. Put something on the back of your truck to slow down as many as you can right at the bumper. Then put something on the boat to stop the ones that get thru. And PLENTY will get thru. My last boat had a custom bra from Enduro in Billings. It was the absolute best in coverage, but it's a (dirty) job to take on/off every trip. Ordered a new boat this winter that will have a Montana Rockguard on the trailer. And I don't drive over 40mph, try to keep it between 35-40. The faster you go, the more and faster those rocks pepper your trailer.

I had a single axle trailer under my old boat and had to trade it for a tandem axle because of those roads. The single axle was beating that boat up. I would run thru the boat with a screwdriver and wrenches after every trip tightening up everything. Seat bases, panels, glove box lid, etc. Anything with a screw or machine bolt would come loose in 2-3 trips. Pulled up to Crooked Creek ramp once to find the side panel with both my remote throttles laying on the floor of the boat. I replaced those screws with bolts & nylon locking nuts the next day. When I put a tandem axle trailer under that boat the "road wear" was dramatically less. Smoother ride over the washboards and cattle guards. It really showed in the boat fasteners - screws stayed tight for a season instead of a trip.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Slot Fish

I agree with everybody above...I run the Rockgard on the boat trailer, and 2 sets of mud flaps, 1 set behind the fender wells on the back tires and a Rock Tamer mud flap bar on the hitch.... There is a bunch of stuff out there that will help keep your boat nice... Not all of it works as it claims...
Slow down on the dirt roads,,, the lake is not gona dry up before you get there
Minnkota 101 Terrova
2 Lowrance HDS12s & 1 HDS9 touchs

Life's good if ur Fishin
Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Slot Fish

Sorry.. I ment to say also that the Rock Tamer mud flaps can be adjusted to fit different tow rigs, and it fits onto the hitch.. They come in 2 different sizes though ...2" and 2.5" , make sure you buy the size that you need for your rig.
Minnkota 101 Terrova
2 Lowrance HDS12s & 1 HDS9 touchs

Life's good if ur Fishin