Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Takeaways from opening of Big Ten - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

Default Takeaways from opening of Big Ten

Mostly, who knows? I only saw most of one game and have read write-ups of other games from independent people who tend to be more honest and realistic.

Many teams missing important pieces, many replacing players they expected to have last spring, no cupcakes for ironing out wrinkles, team responses to different practice regimens still totally unpredictable.

OSU has a talent advantage that can't be overcome. Surprise, surprise, surprise. They may still drop a game because it's CFB but it will be a to an underdog.

The coaches that were dumb on game day last year are still dumb on game day this year.

The refereeing seems like it has a different focus. Not better, fairer or more accurate. Different. And a lot of fans are mad about it.

I think some teams are going to be next level bad as upperclassmen bail and freshmen have to step up. There will be great ugliness on the internets.

MSU is #1 among those teams, they're in a terrible position and are going to be horrible. New coach, new culture, new players, not enough practice to even start to bring it together. They've been in a slide for several years with discipline and recruiting and then their coach jumped ship at the worst possible time. When Spartans get angry this year they should blame Dantonio first and the incompetent Board of Trustees second. Tucker was a terrible hire but you've spent $30 million on him. Got to ride it out a few years.

An interesting wrinkle this year is that it doesn't count towards eligibility. I expect to see a lot of freshmen that might otherwise redshirt. Should get a very good feel for the future of many teams.

What's the most realistic season for your team? Mine, Michigan, is 6-2/5-3. If they catch a break then 7-1. Any team that loses a bunch of layers to illness can have the wheels fall of so that's a possibility too. Illness was already a factor in the first weekend for some teams.

Milton looks like he can be a real upgrade at QB and the OL is solid if not great. The loss of all three big wideouts is going to hurt them against teams with talented and experienced DBs. Need a RB to step up as the workhorse badly.

LBs will be good, DBs not as bad as feared with the stars not returning and DEs a strength. The undersized DTs will make that all moot against power running teams and the ones that can hit quick crossing routes. Major recruiting and scheme failure that will cost them again this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 07:52 PM
Wallhanger

OK, I'll bite

OSU, just reloads
MU, beat a MIN team that has been overhyped and good grief that Min D is not good. MU is going to have to stop a team on D with speed, because if they have to go toe to toe with a big O line, they are going to get bum rushed
NW, looked pretty good, the new QB makes them Look better than they are. Maryland, is just bad, so that makes NW look better.
MSU is just plain bad, and the same problems that have followed them are still there. R played well enough to be eat them.
PSU, ooops, I simply do not know what to think.
IU, this could be a fun team to watch.
PU, just beat a bad IA team with nobody at QB. PU should have won it by more.
Neb, well....they played a much superior team, but they will be playing to not be in last place again.
IL, they have some talent, but the QB is overrated
and finally WI, if the first game is any indication they have found their QB for at least a few yrs. who is better than an average joe. They will need to find a running back, but what is wrong with a committee, having Taylor has spoiled the faithful, and the O line will send 2 more to the NFL.. The D, again, didn't give up any points, and the Illini didn't even sniff the endzone, it's plug and play at LB, the D line is better with more depth, and the DB's are better as a group than last yr.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:17 PM
Wallhanger

WI quarterback just tested positive so unless it’s a false positive he is “on the bench” for 21 days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
WI quarterback just tested positive so unless it’s a false positive he is “on the bench” for 21 days
Ouch, there's the kind of wildcard that makes the whole season unpredictable. Well, not for OSU. They won't admit to any key players testing positive and if results do leak he'll be quick cured like Saban.

Aspen, you obviously saw the entire slate of games. I've heard some comments, based mostly on recruiting and players leaving, about PSU possibly having morale issues. That strikes me as wishful thinking or negative recruiting. As an outsider did it look to you that they didn't have their hearts in it in the 4th and OT or was it just one of those things that happen when your coach is a gameday bonehead?

Didn't want to lead people too much but here goes, two things on referees.

Offensive PI was practically encouraged. I heard a few examples of receivers pushing off with both hands to create separation and getting no calls. In contrast there were ticky tack calls on DB's in the same games so it was clear they weren't "letting them play". I've heard this from fans whose teams won so I give it enough credence to ask here.

Offensive tackles were allowed to move just before the snap. Didn't happen on every play, just enough to make some people wonder and to give a big advantage on passing downs. I never saw it myself but I never saw even highlights of most of the games. The people I heard it from were talking about games their team wasn't playing in.

Both these put together would give a huge advantage to the O and make Big 10 football a more exciting brand. On the other hand, it seems really far fetched they'd institute a change like that. More likely that the refs were as rusty as the players and we'll get back to the normal quality of reffing that we're used to. Anyone else hear complaints or see anything themselves?
Old 10-26-2020, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

IF, Mertz has a 2nd positive test that will mean some big time scrambling, according to my nephew who is still playing with the team, there are false positives all the time with these tests, that's why when a positive is detected a new series of tests are done using a different testing protocol, we shall see.

being a former HS ref, pass interference is a moving target. There were some calls going both ways that, on replay, were not or should have been called. Replay in slow motion makes the refs job that much tougher. It shows that they can get a call wrong or right. But, when in real time, running to catch up or get in position, or just looking at something else or another player, they can think they see something or not see it. And for those guys running the sidelines, they have a coach running his loud mouth on every play, I really learned to hate some coaches. It's a tough job, anyone can do it from the couch, there are thousand of refs watching everyday from the Lazy boy holding a beer, all with a bias or rooting interest, and they never miss a call. I'm not going to sit here and say that some ref's couldn't get better, but to sit on the sidelines and complain is pretty petty.

As far as linemen moving, the most blatant gets called, but if the ball has moved to be snapped the linemen are good to go, sometimes that is not picked up by the long shot from the press box. Holding is another call that a flag could be thrown every time a play is run, only the most blatant is called. There was a good one in the WI/IL game, late in the game, where a WI DB is blitzing, he is literally grabbed by the OL spun and thrown to the ground, no flag. But it was incomplete anyway. But the refs are watching several different sets of players, maybe not that set.

As far as PSU is concerned, I do not have any inside scoop. They didn't play like I expected, but then neither did IU. Coaches like Franklin and Fleck, when things start to go south, they can easily lose their team. The Rah Rah stuff starts to get old. That may be possible in Happy Valley.

Last edited by Aspencreek; 10-26-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Wallhanger

It was the referee’s 1st game back and maybe al little rust there also. I did see a couple questionable targeting calls against Nebraska. I guess players aren’t allowed to leap into a tackle or try and break up a reception.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:10 AM
Slot Fish

I don't want to talk about it
Old 10-26-2020, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

I'm a Gophers fan too and I didn't see that coming. I thought it'd be a close game. The Gophers just have to forget about the butt kicking and focus on Maryland. The season isn't over just yet.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
It was the referee’s 1st game back and maybe al little rust there also. I did see a couple questionable targeting calls against Nebraska. I guess players aren’t allowed to leap into a tackle or try and break up a reception.
Nebraska is a couple more good recruiting classes away from at least being competitive again...Lines looked much better, receivers and secondary is scant to now gone now with those questionable calls ....Frost has em in the right direction. still little depth with 2 good classes under their belt.

Its a weird year.

lotta weird upsets in college football and missed PAT's in the pros!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
The big thing that nobody is talking about, is WHO is the source for the story? Medical information is very guarded, and nobody should be leaking that kind of info, particularly to the media. When they find out who leaked it...that person will be seeking employment elsewhere. Coach Cryst made it very clear in his monday presser. He will not, should not and cannot be talking about anyone's testing or the protocols. Good for him!