Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Inverter Generator - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 01:59 PM
Keeper

Default Inverter Generator

Inverter generator experience.
Thoughts on an inverter generator for a 13.5 btu ac rv unit to power...lots of options. Honda and Yamaha are great on the top of the list.....but any first hand experience with the off brands? I'll say it....cheaper....I want to camp without reservations...and at this point, electric sites are full. I dont want to reserve an electric site3 or 5 weeks from now, if wind and weather dont allow for fishing when the time comes...I will only camp to eliminate the 4 hour drive each day to fish....so I could fish more....go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

Though not using a hookup,,are you still camping in a campground? Will a campground allow you to run a generator? Seems like would be too noisy.
As far as the cheaper units, they work, but they make more noise than
a lot of the Honda and Yamaha units.

-
Old 07-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Keeper

Just as food for thought, a 13.5 kBTU/hr air conditioner will run but won’t start reliably on many 2000w generators. You’ll most likely need to expand your search to the 3000w class.

Or, you can add a “soft start” unit to the air conditioner such as the Easy start from Microair. It will allow the 2000w units to start and run your ac by spreading the starting energy over a longer duration. And also will allow the ac to run on a standard wall plug extension cord at home.

At about 1800-2000w of draw when running, you won’t be able to run much else in your rv off a smaller generator while the ac is running, but you can get by with a smaller and less expensive gennie that is easier to handle.

I’m a proponent of sticking with products that aren’t reverse-engineered from a competitor’s product. But I can certainly see the benefits of the less expensive generators such as those
From harbor freight. They get good reviews.

I don’t RV, but I see much discussion related to the inconveniences of carrying gas cans to fuel a portable generator. A lot of people like to use a propane-powered generator since they already have propane aboard for the RV. Many even plug in to
The low pressure accessory port provided on newer RV’s for bbq grilles and whatnot.

The other advantage to this is the generator can be transported in the rv, suv, van, etc without smelling it up with gas fumes.

Champion makes propane-ready units. Honda’s are available propane-ready from genconnex and hutch mountain. Probably many more choices too for these and other brands.

Good luck with the hunt.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2020, 03:51 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Though not using a hookup,,are you still camping in a campground? Will a campground allow you to run a generator? Seems like would be too noisy.
As far as the cheaper units, they work, but they make more noise than
a lot of the Honda and Yamaha units.

-
Good point on noise. Yes, the area I really want to use 80 percent of the time is a 24 hr generator area.
Any first hand experience with the different models?
Old 07-26-2020, 03:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh500special View Post
Just as food for thought, a 13.5 kBTU/hr air conditioner will run but won’t start reliably on many 2000w generators. You’ll most likely need to expand your search to the 3000w class.

Or, you can add a “soft start” unit to the air conditioner such as the Easy start from Microair. It will allow the 2000w units to start and run your ac by spreading the starting energy over a longer duration. And also will allow the ac to run on a standard wall plug extension cord at home.

At about 1800-2000w of draw when running, you won’t be able to run much else in your rv off a smaller generator while the ac is running, but you can get by with a smaller and less expensive gennie that is easier to handle.

I’m a proponent of sticking with products that aren’t reverse-engineered from a competitor’s product. But I can certainly see the benefits of the less expensive generators such as those
From harbor freight. They get good reviews.

I don’t RV, but I see much discussion related to the inconveniences of carrying gas cans to fuel a portable generator. A lot of people like to use a propane-powered generator since they already have propane aboard for the RV. Many even plug in to
The low pressure accessory port provided on newer RV’s for bbq grilles and whatnot.

The other advantage to this is the generator can be transported in the rv, suv, van, etc without smelling it up with gas fumes.

Champion makes propane-ready units. Honda’s are available propane-ready from genconnex and hutch mountain. Probably many more choices too for these and other brands.

Good luck with the hunt.

Steve
Thanks
Really I haven't thought of the.propane option, but definitely could see the benefits.and yes I was referring to the 3k watt options. I really just need air.to sleep....and extend my fishing time from eliminating the drive time on the weekends to the lake. I'm in Kansas, and I want ac, but dont want.to pay the reservation to campsite, if I cant fish.
It is an odd question, as the end result.is about sleeping in ac and expanding my fishing time.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe off the subject...but do you go to the same lake on a regular basis?

Ever Thought about a seasonal site setup,permanently sited at one of the campgrounds by where you like to fish? Keep your boat there, saving towing wear and tear. I have been doing that for years,best thing I ever did. Becomes a home away from home. Not cheap,(used to be) but still a big bang for the buck. When I want to go fishing, I just pack a bag, hop in my truck and GO. Just a thought.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:03 PM
Wallhanger

My .02, I have 2-Honda 2000's with the parallel kit and 6 gal. extended tank. That's the way to go for versatility and have enough wattage to run air and other items. I also had a 3000 Honda and it was just not enough for the 13k air conditioner if running other things. I traded it on a 6500 Honda EU which is overkill, but I sure don't worry about not being able to have air cond. We also have a Champion and it works well but is loud.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Keeper

Timely question , I had been looking into a generator for camping as well. After posts in another forum recommended this one , https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html
I was going to buy it but instead just received it as a belated B day gift. Lots of luck with your decision.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Predator

I have the Predator 3500 and I have about 50 hours on it. Half of it here at home during power failures, the other half powering my 5th wheel. I ran the Predator all night when camping last fall to power the furnace and fridge. I twas able to get 11 hrs on it with one tank of fuel (less than 1/4 load). they have had many, many good reviews on the HF website. If I were to do it again, I would consider buying 2 of the 2000W Predators along with a parallel kit to run them together. The 3500 is kinda heavy to lug around(approx 100lbs fully fueled).

For reference, my A/C a 13.5 kBTU runs at about 10-11A. The 3500 Generator is maxed out at 30A. It will be real thirsty running 3/4 or full load. The Predator on the HF website has approximate fuel usage/hr on the item info.

Also I do have a Hughes Watchdog installed in the 5th wheel to protect from spikes, low voltage and high voltage for use in campgrounds and incase the Predator runs out of fuel and I get a spike when it goes down while boon docking. While using the inverter if you have a device like the Hughes, you'll need to buy ($11 on Amazon) or build Surge Guard Generator Neutral so that the Watchdog senses a neutral/ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_159f.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	320602  

Last edited by Mich_Fisherman; 07-26-2020 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-26-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

People always say that the Honda's are quieter but my friends 2200 watt Ryobi generator is quieter than my 10 year old Honda 1000 watt. I don't think my Honda has gotten louder with age but I was amazed at how quiet my buddy's Ryobi was when we were hunting.