Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Browning BPS value? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Browning BPS value?

Barrel size doesnt effect down range patterns, chokes do.

The short barrel might mess up your swing if your used to a longer one.

Perfect length for grouse though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 01:54 PM
ChadM

Yes, it was a Browning rebate. I paid for the gun and am still waiting for my rebate. I expect they take 6-8 weeks.

One place to get a new gun would be Reeds in Walker, MN. They had the gun at $450 less 5% for cash deal(vs.trade) plus $75 rebate if a 3.5" BPS.

Nice gun. Wanted a Remington Wingmaster but for $100 less after rebate got the BPS.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:01 PM
HunterShooter

Reels,

I have several shotguns with 26" and 28" barrels and even had one with a 30" barrel. I have two pumps with 24" barrels.

Invariably, I choose the shorter barrels for bird hunting (grouse and pheasant both) because the shorter barrel is easier to maneuver through brush and points faster than the longer barrels. One exception is my 26" barreled side-by-side shotgun (doubles are shorter than 26" pumps and 26" autos because they do not need a receiver) which I also love to take hunting.

Conventional wisdom USED to be that one had to have longer barrels to be able to "swing" the gun better. That is an old wives tale carried over from when most guns were double barrels and the longer length did add weight which DID help the swing. However, pumps and autos have more parts and therefore more weight and do not need barrel length to add "swing weight".

Bottom line: if you like the gun and if you shoot it well (and it sounds like you do), buy the darn thing. If you get it for a decent price and don't like it, you can trade it for another gun at most gun shops and not lose a lot of money.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM
HaleDamage

I have a older BPS (12gage)-- I put on a slug barrel with sights -- Can work a good group at 75yds.-- Also have the 22"with 5 different chocks-- works super--also have a 28" mod. barrel that I have not used in years.. The safty on the top works good with gloves-- great gun -- I'm the reason the gun misses the target..
Good luck -- HaleDamage
Old 12-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Yep. Gunsamerica and Gunbroker are good measuring sticks.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
MC Shotgunner

Cool Guest

I have a 22" 12 ga straight stock and a 26" 12 ga. pistol grip stock. Both are hunter BPS. I hit and miss with both. I use IC and mod. chokes with 4,5 or 6 steel or lead. I am 5-6 and after shooting BPS's over 20 years, I think I'm ready for a lighter pheasant gun. Last season I shot a Winchester 37 single shot 20 ga. and got the same amount of pheasants as I have for years with the BPS. (dozens) Seems to me barrel length, chokes, gauge or even gun doesn't matters much for pheasant hunting.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reels View Post
I am looking to buy a pheasant gun, and someone offered his for sale, because he never uses it. It is a Japan built, 22" barrel, and in mint condition. 15 years old with the invector choke tubes.

New, they are selling for about $400-$425. He wont give a price, just says give me what is fair. How much do shotguns depreciate? He is a good friend, and I want to pay what is fair.

<{{}}><
Don't know what grade, etc it is, my couple year old Blue Book of gun values lists several grades.

List price runs from about $375 to $575 new, then about a $100 off for nib 100%down to about $170 if at least it looks like a shotgun (60%)
Book is several years old but you should be able to take going new price today and come close.

Al
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Keeper

Barrel lenght doesn't affect terminal performance on shotguns. All the gases are expanded after about 16 inches. The short barrel will effect the sighting plane if your one of the guys who uses the front bead for aiming. Most shotgunners point and shoot on targets.
For price, things are crazy now and people are getting outragious prices for mediorce shotguns. $325 would be about the average though a lot of people won't want that short of barrel. BPS's are nice as a leftie can shoot them just as well as a rightie due to the ejection under the action. Miroku Browning's are especially nice due to the properties of the steel used. Miroku Brothers have been making fine shotguns for over a hundred years although I believe they are out of business now.
All said I'd jump on it if the price is good.

mgrandick
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrandick View Post
BPS's are nice as a leftie can shoot them just as well as a rightie due to the ejection under the action. Miroku Browning's are especially nice due to the properties of the steel used. Miroku Brothers have been making fine shotguns for over a hundred years although I believe they are out of business now.
All said I'd jump on it if the price is good.

mgrandick
Maybe this thread can be hijacked just a bit, since it's 10 years old.

Mgrand - so the Miroku brand is a good thing? I have a Miroku 20 gauge side by side. Always kind of wondered if I overpaid for it. It appears to be same styling as the BSS, and I was told built by the same factory and given their own brand name. Not sure if that is true or not.

At any rate, it's a nice looking, good feel straight grip side by side that I'll own without regret. I just don't know much about the brand.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Keeper

Smile

Burr

Terrible awful gun. But the great guy that I am I'll send you a box and a $100 and I'll take it off your hands. In truth Miroku made very good shotguns. A double in 20 guage? It would be love at first sight. I have an 20 O/U SKB made by them and it's super. Also a 12 guage. O/U. Last I heard the machinery was in a shipping container and being shipped to the US. That was several years ago. I bet that baby swings like a dream. What lenght barrels?
mgrandick