Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Uneven Tire Wear - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Keeper

Default Uneven Tire Wear

I have one tire on my tandem axle trailer that is wearing on the inside edge. I heard it could be caused by unbalanced loading. Anyone have a similar problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2021, 01:07 PM
Wallhanger

I wonder if the axle end got bent slightly up. This next part might not be it. Have you jacked the trailer up. Wiggled the tires back and forth. Made sure the bearings are not on the loose side. I do this once a year anyways. To make sure I do not have a bearing going bad.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Consider the tire's proper inflation. Low pressure can create inside wear. I prematurely wore-out my single axle trailer tires because of under inflating both tires to the recommended pressure!
My Ride: 2001/1800 Lund Pro-V, '17/Honda 90hp V-Tech Tiller, 82# Bow Mount MtrGuide, LCX104c, LCX19c, LCX27c, Dual Pro Charger w/eng. assist, Ram Mounts & Holders, Wave Whackers, Clarion Sirrus Sat. Radio & Shorelander Roller Trailer on Lake of the Woods.

Last edited by JOHN L. HECKLSMILLER; 01-27-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quite possibly a bent axle. Real common on 5Th wheel trailers and towed trailers. Only way to know is if you do some measuring or have a spring shop or an alignment centre do it for you.
If it's bent or kinked between the springs it's repairable. If between the spring and wheel it's scrap.

Been there.. done that.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:37 AM
Keeper

Default Tire Wear

Thanks for your replies. I always watch the tire pressure because I know how much of a difference the gas mileage can be. I know the bearings are all good because I did them myself last spring. The wear was happening before that. These are single axles torsion arms on a tandem axle Ranger Trailer. I pull a 621. I don't see a way to make any adjustment the way this is made. I was hoping someone had a similar issue.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar problem with my single axle trailer. I had a bent axle, which was straightened by an axle shop. The driver at the time the axle got bent didn't see the hole in the road. Got it fixed, but wishing I had a heavier axle put on instead of straightening. Fix was a few years ago, and tires are OK now, but if I had to do it over...

Bill
Old 01-28-2021, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

Had the same problem on my tandem axle years ago. One trip to the alignment shop cured it and no problems since.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:57 AM
Keeper

We had a similar issue on a single axle Ranger Trail but ours was potentially an issue in the torsion spring itself.

We measured the alignment in our garage and found it to be 1/2" out of alignment. They measured at the shop and it was perfect. We measured in the garage again and it was back out. Talked with the shop and they pulled the trailer straight into the shop before measuring, we have to park at about a 45 angle in the garage. Asked the shop to turn the trailer and measure, sure enough, it was out of alignment. There also wasn't any obvious play in the hubs. That was enough for Ranger to warranty a new axle and we haven't had any more issues.