Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reel Maintenance - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-19-2021, 11:51 AM
Keeper

Default Reel Maintenance

I am probably stating the obvious but last night I went to the man cave (garage) and started to service all my reels. I don't normally do this, even though I know I should. I started with my trolling reels. I have a 6 pack of Okuma Coldwater 203's. Even though these are only a couple of seasons old and in great shape, I was blown away by how much smoother they are after being cleaned and lub'd. I thought I would share as a reminder, now is the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Keeper

Reminds me I need to send my Daiwas in to be serviced.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:15 PM
Minnow

Default DIY reel maintenance tutorial`

I would welcome the results of fixing up my Shimano spinning reels over the winter so that they are ready this spring.
Would someone offer a step-by-step guideline or video clip on how to best go about servicing a spinning reel? It would take the guesswork out of it (which parts to lube, and with what products)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2021, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Reb,
Just check out You Tube.

Lots of videos on the tube that will walk you right through the process.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:51 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeye View Post
I am probably stating the obvious but last night I went to the man cave (garage) and started to service all my reels. I don't normally do this, even though I know I should. I started with my trolling reels. I have a 6 pack of Okuma Coldwater 203's. Even though these are only a couple of seasons old and in great shape, I was blown away by how much smoother they are after being cleaned and lub'd. I thought I would share as a reminder, now is the time.

Shimano has some nice tutorials with pictures for spinning reel maintenance. Easy to follow with a section for general maintenance et advanced maintenance.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 AM
Keeper

Default Line Counter Reel Maintenance

Hi Guys,

Iíve done routine maintenance for years on Daiwa Sealines and all kinds of spinning reels and getting ready to do some on my Daiwa Sealines and Accudepth line counters. Just wondering if there is anything different I should watch out for when opening them up? Remember the first time I did a spinning reel I got carried away with breaking it down and had springs flying all over the place. Never did get that reel back together. LOL

I did search the web and couldn't find anything specific to line counters.

Thanks,
Donscs
Old 01-20-2021, 08:35 AM
Keeper

Found this pretty quick. To help with your DuckDuckGo searching skills, I used this as my search criteria "linecounter reel tear down cleaning sealine."

It is an older model, but it should get you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HDRKELI7zo
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
Found this pretty quick. To help with your DuckDuckGo searching skills, I used this as my search criteria "linecounter reel tear down cleaning sealine."

It is an older model, but it should get you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HDRKELI7zo
Hi Moff,

Thanks for the response and I did find this video when I searched and unless I missed it he doesn't say anything about line counter reels. Like I said I have done maintenance on Sealines in the past and was wondering if there is anything different about doing maintenance on a line counter reel.

Thanks again,
Donscs
Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Keeper

The only thing different on a line counter reel is the line counter. You shouldn't be maintaining the counter. You could replace the counter if you wanted. Otherwise nothing is different.

Here is the part for the counter assembly if you want to replace it. Part #51

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...es/SG17LCA.pdf

Last edited by Moff; 01-20-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:54 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
The only thing different on a line counter reel is the line counter. You shouldn't be maintaining the counter. You could replace the counter if you wanted. Otherwise nothing is different.

Here is the part for the counter assembly if you want to replace it. Part #51

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...es/SG17LCA.pdf
Hi Moff,

That's the info I was looking for and hope I never have to replace the counter assembly.

Thanks,
Donscs