Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Reel Maintenance - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2021, 11:51 AM
Muskeye Muskeye is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 242
Default Reel Maintenance

I am probably stating the obvious but last night I went to the man cave (garage) and started to service all my reels. I don't normally do this, even though I know I should. I started with my trolling reels. I have a 6 pack of Okuma Coldwater 203's. Even though these are only a couple of seasons old and in great shape, I was blown away by how much smoother they are after being cleaned and lub'd. I thought I would share as a reminder, now is the time.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Moff Moff is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 377
Default

Reminds me I need to send my Daiwas in to be serviced.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2021, 09:15 PM
rebrunner rebrunner is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Default DIY reel maintenance tutorial`

I would welcome the results of fixing up my Shimano spinning reels over the winter so that they are ready this spring.
Would someone offer a step-by-step guideline or video clip on how to best go about servicing a spinning reel? It would take the guesswork out of it (which parts to lube, and with what products)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 01-19-2021, 10:05 PM
REW REW is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 38,254
Default

Reb,
Just check out You Tube.

Lots of videos on the tube that will walk you right through the process.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2021, 04:51 AM
Real1 Real1 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeye View Post
I am probably stating the obvious but last night I went to the man cave (garage) and started to service all my reels. I don't normally do this, even though I know I should. I started with my trolling reels. I have a 6 pack of Okuma Coldwater 203's. Even though these are only a couple of seasons old and in great shape, I was blown away by how much smoother they are after being cleaned and lub'd. I thought I would share as a reminder, now is the time.



Shimano has some nice tutorials with pictures for spinning reel maintenance. Easy to follow with a section for general maintenance et advanced maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 AM
Donscs Donscs is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 180
Default Line Counter Reel Maintenance

Hi Guys,

Iíve done routine maintenance for years on Daiwa Sealines and all kinds of spinning reels and getting ready to do some on my Daiwa Sealines and Accudepth line counters. Just wondering if there is anything different I should watch out for when opening them up? Remember the first time I did a spinning reel I got carried away with breaking it down and had springs flying all over the place. Never did get that reel back together. LOL

I did search the web and couldn't find anything specific to line counters.

Thanks,
Donscs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2021, 08:35 AM
Moff Moff is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 377
Default

Found this pretty quick. To help with your DuckDuckGo searching skills, I used this as my search criteria "linecounter reel tear down cleaning sealine."

It is an older model, but it should get you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HDRKELI7zo
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 AM
Donscs Donscs is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
Found this pretty quick. To help with your DuckDuckGo searching skills, I used this as my search criteria "linecounter reel tear down cleaning sealine."

It is an older model, but it should get you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HDRKELI7zo
Hi Moff,

Thanks for the response and I did find this video when I searched and unless I missed it he doesn't say anything about line counter reels. Like I said I have done maintenance on Sealines in the past and was wondering if there is anything different about doing maintenance on a line counter reel.

Thanks again,
Donscs
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Moff Moff is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 377
Default

The only thing different on a line counter reel is the line counter. You shouldn't be maintaining the counter. You could replace the counter if you wanted. Otherwise nothing is different.

Here is the part for the counter assembly if you want to replace it. Part #51

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...es/SG17LCA.pdf

Last edited by Moff; 01-20-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2021, 10:54 AM
Donscs Donscs is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
The only thing different on a line counter reel is the line counter. You shouldn't be maintaining the counter. You could replace the counter if you wanted. Otherwise nothing is different.

Here is the part for the counter assembly if you want to replace it. Part #51

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...es/SG17LCA.pdf
Hi Moff,

That's the info I was looking for and hope I never have to replace the counter assembly.

Thanks,
Donscs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.