Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Used Boat Purchase Advice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-07-2021, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Used Boat Purchase Advice

Need advice & direction on the purchase of a used boat - likely within a year's time.
I had planned on buying a boat with a close friend, but he decided to get his own. Since I'll live up north and he plans on buying in Missouri, buying one together wouldn't have made a lot of sense.
Am thinking of a Alumacraft or a Lund - want the boat to be large enough to hold several people, be able to pull a water tube, have an enclosed cockpit area, etc.
I know boats are selling quickly and used boats selling at close to their original purchase price.

I know this web site has a section for boat sales. Are there any other web sites that I should check out? What's the best time of the year to buy a used boat - I'm guessing after Labor Day.

I appreciate any and all advice you can share with me. I dont want to overlook anything & make a mistake.
Thanks
Garmin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2021, 05:52 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Right now the time of year doesn't matter. My boat would be worth the same if I sold it 2 months ago or 2 months from now. You need to do your homework now. Go around and look at any boats that might work for you. Chat up your local dealers tell them exactly what you are looking for. Let them know you are ready to buy immediately if they get one or hear of one that meets your requirements. Have your cash ready to go so you can hop right on a deal if it presents itself. Nobody will "HOLD" a boat for you. The market is just to hot right now.

This part is just my personal opinion, go talk to the dealers in person. Let them put a face to a name. Often they know of a guy who is getting ready to pull the trigger on a new boat that needs to sell his currant one first. They won't pass that information along to the keyboard warriors or the guys who call. The more you work at buying a used boat the better you will make out.

BTW, not having a partner on a boat was the best move you made so far.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

My advice to you would be to do a compression test on the motor, inboard or outboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2021, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

Facebook marketplace is good. They also have a walleye boats for sale page that has regular traffic on it. If you find one be ready to jump on it if it is what you want because they are selling fast. I actually just bought a boat off boat trader. A simple google search of walleye boats for sale will pull up multiple sites.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Default Used Boat Purchase Advice

I appreciate the responses so far.
I'd definitely would request an engine compression test done.
I'm not sure how much this costs - but it would be reasonable given the purchase price of the boat.

For those of you that have done this, my guess is that the compression test is done at the expense of the potential purchaser. The cost of the test could be credited at the time of payment - or it's the buyer's expense if he decides not to buy.
Is this standard procedure? I just don't know not having purchased a used boat before.
Thanks again.
Garmin
Old 03-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

There is no standard. It's whatever you agree on. Many times you can review the whole boat and agree on the price pending a compression check. Tell the buyer if it checks out you will pay for it and take the boat. If it has a bad cylinder he will pay and the deal will be off. Sometimes you can tell if there is something wrong if he really balks at this arrangement. It tells me he knows something might be wrong.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

What I would do is walk around dealerships until you find a boat that meets your requirements. Once you know that start shopping for similar boats on the used market. Don't assume that all all boats will sell fast or at a premium price. A lot depends on condition, age and type of boat and price range. Start searching WC classifieds, C-list, FB marketplace, Boat Trader for similar boats and you will get a good idea the sale price of the boat you are interested in. When you find a boat you want to buy and have done an inspection toss a reasonable offer out there. The seller can agree to sell or not. Once you agree and you get it home.....be prepared to spend some additional $$$ to outfit the boat to suit your needs.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:48 PM
Wallhanger

iboats.com is where I found the one I bought.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Byte,
One basic rule when buying a used boat, be absolutely 100% sure that the hull is 100% perfect and free of defects that may cause the hull to leak.

Not necessarily to know for sure, but if you do find that the hull leaks after you have purchased it, you may be in for a bunch of heart ache or a big repair bill.

Yes, obvious and basic - but sometimes folks get so in love with a particular boat, that they overlook the basic.

Also, be 100% positive that you have a 100% sound and rot free transom.

Same reason as above.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:56 PM
crazyboatguy

Don't buy a lund with wood transom, they rot out and its like 6K to fix.