Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
300 Vrod random alarm - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-26-2020, 10:05 AM
v rod

Default 300 Vrod random alarm

So, I got a 2014 verado 300 and I've had a few just random constant alarm horns and it gives no fault codes on the smart craft gauges at the time.

It has happened about 5 times this year in about 100hrs of use on the motor so it gets a fair amount of use. The one thing I can say about it is that is always seems to happen at idle or very low speeds like 5mph or less. Again its very random it can go a long time between alarms multiple fishing trips between sounds. what I have done is simply turn the motor off and back on again and its good to go.

any suggestions on what may be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2020, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

Take it to a dealer and have him read the history on the computer.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

Another vote on take it to a dealer to find out what's going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2020, 01:08 PM
Keeper

If it is not logging on the SC gauge, it’s non latching, you’ll need it looked at by a dealer. Low voltage is probably the most common non latching code at idle.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

What is the age of the starting battery?

Is the starting battery always fully charged?

Are the battery posts and the cable ends free of any corrosion.

Are the battery lug bolts holding the motor battery cables tight to the battery?

When you get the random code, what is the actual voltage on the battery terminals when the motor is sounding the alarm?

You do keep a digital voltmeter in the boat don't you, to take care of errands like this one?

Good luck
Old 11-29-2020, 08:45 PM
V rod

Default response.

ok, so sounds like low voltage could be a option. In response to the questions...

1. Take to dealer. haha... wish i knew dealers like you guys must have. I'm still waiting for pricing on seats and things from this spring. not to mention iI'd have to drive it about 2 hrs or more,, so I tend to do/research some of these things myself while I can.

2. battery info I have 2 batteries hooked together for the motor/electornics that charged after every outing. not sure of date on them and haven't noticed any corrosion/loose issues. I would generally notice something like that in my normal maintenance related duties or cleaning. However I will make it a point to directly look at the connections.

3.Do I keep a voltmeter on the boat. No... and I hope I don't get to that point.... but usually have one less than 10 ft away in the garage I could throw in.

I've never had any indication of low voltage or slow start of the big engine even after running live wells/graphs etc.. for long periods of time. and generally the alarm is after the motor has been running for awhile so hope to heck it should be low voltage as it may mean more than just a new battery...

thanks for the responses....
Old 11-30-2020, 06:54 AM
Wallhanger

Easy enough to check if it's your batteries. Just charge them overnight, let them sit for about two hours without the charger plugged in, then check the voltage at the battery posts with your volt meter. Should read above 12.7, preferably 12.9 or so. You need to let the batteries sit for awhile after charging, or your voltage reading won't be accurate. If you were to read it directly after charging, it would read apx .4-.5 volts higher than it would be after settling for a bit.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v rod View Post
So, I got a 2014 verado 300 and I've had a few just random constant alarm horns and it gives no fault codes on the smart craft gauges at the time.

It has happened about 5 times this year in about 100hrs of use on the motor so it gets a fair amount of use. The one thing I can say about it is that is always seems to happen at idle or very low speeds like 5mph or less. Again its very random it can go a long time between alarms multiple fishing trips between sounds. what I have done is simply turn the motor off and back on again and its good to go.

Try disconnecting the temperature sensor when the alarm goes off. If it stops the alarm then you have a temp bad sensor. If there are other sensors on the motor you can try them too one at a time.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v rod View Post

I get a random alarm that says I think "right actuator arm" or something like that. I took the boat in and they found no codes, happened a few times. Any clue what this alarm is ?
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 12-01-2020, 09:16 AM
Keeper

When ever you bring your boat to a Mercury Dealer, ask for the “full report” you paid for it, so you might as well have them print it out for you. Latching or sticky codes are when something is still active. If the problem (in both cases here BB and Vrod’s issues) goes away on its own, the active code is cleared, however it is stored along with all the critical operating parameters as well as the last hour it happened and the frequency in which it happened. Posting those in a forum will help a tech who has never seen your motor help troubleshoot it.