Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minnkota Hapiness soon turns too sadness - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Minnkota Hapiness soon turns too sadness

So I was eagerly anticipating my new 72" Terrovas arrival today from Amazon. I got the last one in stock, presumably in just about the whole country as they are on a nationwide backorder. Also received 2019 pricing which I was very happy with.

So it arrives and I immediately notice the box is pretty beat up. I had to return a Xi5 years ago due to being beat up and didn't want to have to go that route again so I asked the driver to hang back so I could look at the lower end. Well Minn Kota encases them in Styrofoam so I was happy about that and sent the driver on his way. Well while unboxing I noticed it was dropped hard enough to canter the prop nut as there was a quarter sized hole where the shaft came out of the box. I removed the nut to find the shaft threads stripped and mangled. I know I could recut the threads but if it landed hard enough to strip them then it may have bent the shaft and I paid too much to accept anything less than perfect.

Already boxed back up( no easy feat ) and return request made. There wasn't even a replacement option listed so it looks like my great deal is now lost too. Kinda down a bit, removed myself to the basement to cool down and not take anything out on the wife or kids. I think a nice grilled steak and an ice cold XX amber should about complete my emotional recovery,LOL.

Still what a shame
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Bummer....sorry to hear that. I would have asked the driver why the box was so beat up? Do they think throwing a box, that obviously is a trolling motor inside, is an acceptable practice?

Enjoy the steak and cold one...you're a very wise man.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Juls,
Of course it is possible that the unit and box was beat up, when it shipped from the vendor and is not the fault of the shipper. Stuff does happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

Was this a third party seller. You might have trouble returning it. They might want you to put a claim in with the shipping company. Hopefully you will not have that happen.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Was this a third party seller. You might have trouble returning it. They might want you to put a claim in with the shipping company. Hopefully you will not have that happen.
No, it was shipped from Amazon warehouse, came from Amazon truck. According to return options they'll pick it up on next business day.
At least I got that going for me.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 07-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks Juls- the steak hit the spot . I also don't understand how they can beat a motor so bad. Of course don't know if it happened enroute or was thrown around the warehouse. Either way its a shame to do something like that to such a nice motor
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 07-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Wallhanger

I got mine a few years back in pretty rough shape. I got a heck of a price on it so I took mine to a minn Kota repair canter and had the work done under warranty. The repair guy told me that all of them that are shipped look about like mine did. It was pretty beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
I got mine a few years back in pretty rough shape. I got a heck of a price on it so I took mine to a minn Kota repair canter and had the work done under warranty. The repair guy told me that all of them that are shipped look about like mine did. It was pretty beat up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't think about going that route. This one is going back, if my next one comes in beaten up I'd maybe consider that route. It's a shame to think about having to get a repair done on a new motor that cost thousands before even getting it wet.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 07-13-2020, 05:04 AM
Wallhanger

When my new Ulterra arrived 2 yrs ago the box looked perfect. I had heard of the shipping problem, so checked the box close. All appeared fine. I opened it up and it still appeared good to go. I had it laying on the workmate to put mounting bracket on the bottom and just turned the prop a bit and that is when I knew I had a problem. The motor turned like it was full of gravel. It ended up at the repair center and was fixed fine. The center said it most likely was dropped at the factory since the box was ok. He told me they fix them all the time.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 07-13-2020, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

I get most stuff shipped to home.UPS or Fedex. (nobody within 100 miles of here has seen an Amazon truck) I think 90% of damaged stuff is from poor packaging. It needs to be well packed to survive handling by man and beast not to mention machine. Not sure I have seen a package without a smashed corner that weighed over 20 lbs. If poorly packed many things wont survive. Trolling motors and especially batteries are almost without exception have evidence of heavy impact. My last 4 batteries came packed properly but the boxes had been dinged. Luckily the premium prices I paid were enough to get great packaging direct from the MFR(Odyssey and Relion). My Ulterra was another case of poor packaging but a trolling motor is a clumsy shape and oddly balanced item. Without full foam encasement they are easily hurt. At least Minn Kota owns up to it and repairs without too much hassle. Must be cheaper to fix than pack properly. Amazon is pretty good about returns too. Just my 2 cents Bob