Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft, Lund, Polar Kraft tillers - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-07-2021, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

I'll agree with the wider beams being more stable. However a 8' beam gets to be a long stretch with shorter rods.
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2021, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

Old guys like me appreciate stretching and not falling overboard.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowillie View Post
Old guys like me appreciate stretching and not falling overboard.
Exactly why I bought a Starweld Fusion 20 with 31" sides and acrosd stern for Erie chop. Gotta get what fits your important needs. Just wish i had a Alaskan tiller for canada trips.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2021, 01:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiojmj View Post
Exactly why I bought a Starweld Fusion 20 with 31" sides and acrosd stern for Erie chop. Gotta get what fits your important needs. Just wish i had a Alaskan tiller for canada trips.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Starweld 20' looks like a very very nice ride if I ever decide to go windshield. Born and raised as a Tiller boy starting with a 14' Alumacraft with a 3.5 HP Elgin.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I've owned 2 Alumacraft Voyaguers 175, both tillers. They are rated for a 75 hp motor. On the first one I opted for a 70 Yamaha since it was 100 pounds lighter than the 75 Yamaha. I had about 6 hours with that boat before I got rear ended totaling the BM&T. Insurance paid it as full price since it was essentially new. My dealer had one Voyaguer 175 left so I snagged it. He was out of Yamaha so I went with a 70 Hp Suzuki which is a detuned 90 and it weighs 100 pound more than the 70 Yahaha. I've had the boats in Lake Michigan and Superior and they have done well. There is a ton of storage and I like the layout. Live well in the rear much like a guide boat setup. I'm not sure what the competitive Lund model is but to me it is the Lund Pro guide. My biggest hangup is instead of storage doors/lids the Pro guide has open cubbys. I would think some of your chit would blow out going down the highway but just a guess. I am a Lund fan, just not that particular model.

Not trying to be the guy that brags about a boat just because he owns it. I've owned Crestliner, Lund and Alumicraft. If you are set on a tiller it would be well worth your time to look at the Voyaguer as it is one of the nicer tillers with the competitor being about the same just slightly bigger and more expensive. If you were looking for a wheel boat you would have far more choices.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:22 PM
Slot Fish

Somehow missed this whole last page of posts. Thank you all for your input.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:03 PM
Minnow

Default Alumacraft Lund Polarcraft tillers

The Alumacraft competitor is similar to a a Lund pro guide. the voyager is a big down grade. no comparison to a lund pro guide.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
the voyager is a big down grade. no comparison to a lund pro guide.
The specs of the Alumacraft 1775 Voyaguer and the 1775 Lund pro guide are virtually indentical. Length, beam, hull thickness, max horsepower are the same. Layout is also essentially the same except the Voyaguer has hinged storage lids port and starboard while the lund has open cubbies in these spots. The Lund gas tank holds 4 more gallons so there's that. Nothing wrong with either boat. Both boats are very comparable, in stark contrast to personal preference and opinions.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:30 AM
Slot Fish

Although I appreciate the input, this thread is getting off track. I am not interested in a step up bow area. As stated in my original post I'm looking at

Lund Alaskan 1800 tiller

Alumacraft Summit 180 tiller

Polar Kraft 186T and would also consider the 165T

Once again thanks for your input