Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
13 inch wheels - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertman View Post
I used to live on Ravenwood Drive in Country Village--wife grew up in Muncie.
Is Ron Bonham still involved with the reservoir?

as far as I know when our lady mayor took over she replaced ron. but don't quote me on this. its just something I heard. and I haven't read any articals by ron and he always kept us up to date on what was going on.

now if I understand it right ron got the state to start stocking the lake with walleye and its become a pretty good walleye lake. I haven't really fished it for eyes the last 3 yrs or so. my little brother and fishing partner got sick then died so I've just lost interest in fishing it. I still spend our 2 weeks up on erie with my son and his family but he don't care anything about fishing our local lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 AM
MK cant log

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertman View Post
Has anyone had 13 inch wheels/tires on a trailer where you normally might see 14 inch? Any problems? I would rather have 14, but maybe I am being unnecessarily cautious. Would appreciate hearing of your experience.
My Lund 1950 Tyee I/O came with an EZ Loader with 13" tires. I estimate that trailer/boat/gas/batteries/etc. weigh in around 4,500 lbs, +/- (boat is 3,100 lbs dry).

I've pulled from IN to Canada a few times in mid-summer heat and had no problems. Tires are Goodyear Marathons 185/80 - 13.

I've thought about upsizing tires but have had no problems in 12 years.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Keeper

My last boat, an Almacraft 195 CS had a tandem axle with 13" tires. I always kept them inflated to 55 psi and I never had an issue in 3 years. My 2 boats before had single axle trailers with 13" tires, again I kept them inflated to 55 psi. Never a single flat. I replaced the tires 3 times on one trailer (I had the boat from 1997 till 2009) and never had an issue. My new boat has 14" tires and that's great with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
although there aren't a lot of choices in 13" trailer tires, there is at least 1 more step-up in capacity, if needed. The chart below is for the Goodyear Marathon trailer radial, look closely at the fenders and see if they could accomodate another .35"/side larger tire, since the 185's are a little larger in diameter.

The jump from 175 to 185 gets you another 120#/tire x 4 in capacity.

Maybe run the OEM's till they're gone, then move up a size.

HRG
HRG,

In that diagram you have on this thread I am wondering if the load capacity stated per tire size is the load per tire or for two tires? For instance, the 185/80 13's state 1480 lbs. Is that per tire?

Thanks

Offthehook
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthehook67 View Post
HRG,

In that diagram you have on this thread I am wondering if the load capacity stated per tire size is the load per tire or for two tires? For instance, the 185/80 13's state 1480 lbs. Is that per tire?

Thanks

Offthehook
Yes, the rated load on tire charts is per tire, but keep in mind that is not the same as trailer capacity, since the capacity number does not include the weight of the trailer itself.

HRG
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

Thank you for the 411...much appreciated
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Keeper

just reading old posts this morn..dessertman you don't need to do all that work to your fenders..put a riser block between the axle and the springs..will have to have new u-bolts also..u-bolts can be made by a good spring shop..check to see if this will work for you 5
Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Anytime you worry about tire and load capacity, do the following.

Fully load the trailer with the most junk that you will ever put in the trailer for a long tripe etc.
Then, take the loaded trailer to a scale - truck stop, hi way scale or transfer station scale.

Then, weigh the fully loaded trailer.

Now, divide that weight by the number of tires on the trailer.

Finally multiply that number by 1.2 to give each tire a 20% safety margin.

Now compare that calculated number by the number that is printed on the side of a tire which is the maximum load carrying capacity of that particular tire.

Finally decide if the tires you have have sufficient load carrying ability by making the comparison.

In each case, the number printed on the tire should be equal to, or greater than the 1.2 calculated safety margin off a fully loaded trailer.

By doing the trailer loading and weighing of the actual load on each tire, you will know with 100% certainty, how much actual weight is being carried and supported by each tire.

About 90% of the time folks are very surprised at how much weight each tire is being asked to carry on their rig. It is very common to have 500 - 1000 lbs more weight in their rig, than even the best of calculations would imagine.

Be safe
Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

About 90% of the time folks are very surprised at how much weight each tire is being asked to carry on their rig. It is very common to have 500 - 1000 lbs more weight in their rig, than even the best of calculations would imagine.

Be safe
Come on REW.....here we go again with some opinion of yours that is worded to sound like factual information. How did you derive these numbers? Was a poll taken at the scales from all the people that followed your advice? Or was it more than likely just some numbers you regurgitated for dramatic effect?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomoto View Post
Come on REW.....here we go again with some opinion of yours that is worded to sound like factual information. How did you derive these numbers? Was a poll taken at the scales from all the people that followed your advice? Or was it more than likely just some numbers you regurgitated for dramatic effect?
Here is one factual data point for you:

My double axle boat trailer rated at 6000# has 14" tires rated at 1760# ea. So the manufacturer specified tires are rated more than the trailer capacity 7040# vs 6000#. Took to the scales boat/full tank of gas/tackle...(no fish) and the whole thing weighed 5400#. Tongue weight 540#.

Wanted to make sure that when we got a 4 man limit stringer (24 eye's) weighing a total of 100# that I wasn't going to bust an axle or blow a tire.

m