Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
sunset country ontario lake suggestions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Minnow

Default sunset country ontario lake suggestions

i AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD WALLEYE LAKE IN SUNSET COUNTRY ONTARIO.
THIS WOULD BE FOR MY WIFE AND MYSELF IN JULY.
i WOULD LIKE A CABIN BOAT PACKAGE FOR $500 - $700 PER PERSON.
I WOULD PREFER A SMALLER RESORT. I HAVE LOOKED AT CANYON LAKE
AND GULLROCK LAKE, I DONT KNOW IF GULLROCK WOULD GET TO ROUGH
ON THE WATER FOR MY WIFE. THE CLOSER TO MINNESOTA THE BETTER, BUT
WE STILL WANT GOOD FISHING. THANKS
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Keeper

Default canada eh

you would have better luck if you posted this on" canada eh"....pepe
Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Keeper

Morson, Ontario on LOTW. Close to MN, excellent fishing, and enough Islands you can tuck out of the wind (usually).

Why not stay in MN? Rainy Lake, or Kabetogama has everything you mentioned....and no border issues to deal with.

SL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Keeper

Default No comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortline View Post
Morson, Ontario on LOTW. Close to MN, excellent fishing, and enough Islands you can tuck out of the wind (usually).

Why not stay in MN? Rainy Lake, or Kabetogama has everything you mentioned....and no border issues to deal with.

SL
I took 2 weeks back to back a few yrs back- The first week was in Canada and the 2nd week was at Kab. If I hadn't promised the group at Kab I would have of headed back to Canada after the first day there.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the replies. I have been on Kab in July and it doesnt compare to the lakes I have fished in Canada. Lake of the woods seems to be higher price if you want a boat in the package. I will try posting this on Canada Eh as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Keeper

Lake Wabaskang and Gull Rock are both excellent fisheries. If you stay at Wrights Wilderness Camp at Gull Rock your situated so that even if the wind blows you can usually get out of camp and fish in decent water. Wabaskang is a lake I haven't fished for about 10 years but I do know that theres a "boat in camp" that also is located well to allow for fishing regardless of weather. I've taken my wife, kids and their spouses to Minnesota the past few years and regardless of the hassell am taking them to Canada this year. Fishing just doesn't compare and I figure the most expensive part of the trip is the time... Might as well spend it catching not just fishing.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Minnow

Default Ontario sunset country

I spent a week this past July at Pine Sunset Lodge on Lake Wabigoon near Dryden. The last two days there we had a ball catching Walleye off the points of the islands. It is one of the most inexpensive resorts that I researched. Nothing fancy, just fishing.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Minnow

Iwas looking at that lake as well. I read someone in the forum stating that youy could smell the papermill from dryden all the time and the water was very muddy so you could not see anything in the water. Did you experience any of this?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Minnow

We never smelled the paper mill and the water clarity was probably about 3 feet. This made the bite better on sunny days. There are two smaller lakes attached if you want to run about 2 miles down the lake. There is a channel that runs between them and it is chrystal clear as are the two lakes.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Wallhanger

Kabetogama is all for me, the National Park is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Sure fishing can be tough, as in all lakes, but the fun is in figuring it out and finally getting a limit. Admit it, if fish got on every time you casted, you wouldn't feel the slightest bit challenged. Border crossings just plain old SUCK!! I'll stay in the good old USA and spend my money here, thank you.....Oh and by the way, the fish DO NOT know that they aren't in CANADA, but we do......completely psychological and anecdotal. I'd stay in the states if I were you, but I encourage you to have the freedom to do what you really want to do.